Thanks
    Thanked 1,362x in 550 Posts
    Items Surfboard
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM from darlinkat
there is water involved lolbeerCrown Royal
Gift received at 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM from Just_angel

Quote Originally Posted by dogdayz View Post
    Yes, it works on each LNB when I bypass the switch.

I was wondering if it might be a power issue. This receiver is getting old, I got it several years ago when the T4 hit the market.

If I swap it out with my T5 it will probably work. It's a pain in the butt to move the T5.

When I get a free moment I'll see what I can try...
    If the T4's power supply is compatible with the TS you could just try using the T5's rather than the receiver itself.

Either way, once checked it will eliminate one possible problem.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,346x in 3,655 Posts
    Items BurgerImmunity to TheftRibbon 4DogCheetos

Quote Originally Posted by surfinisfun View Post
    If the T4's power supply is compatible with the TS you could just try using the T5's rather than the receiver itself.

Either way, once checked it will eliminate one possible problem.
    This is weird, I just unplugged the T4 wall wart to see what voltage it is and then plugged it back in and now the receiver is switching sats. We'll see if it keeps working.

This thing hasn't switched for days and now all of a sudden it works again. Arrrrgh!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogdayz For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,148x in 5,731 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

This is weird, I just unplugged the T4 wall wart to see what voltage it is and then plugged it back in and now the receiver is switching sats. We'll see if it keeps working.

This thing hasn't switched for days and now all of a sudden it works again. Arrrrgh!
    May ALL your problems be sooooo small...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 275x in 181 Posts

Sounds like maybe your power supply (or a capacitor) inside the receiver is getting ready to die, It may work now but I think you will see it stop working again over time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mavrick For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,291x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

I would bet to guess it is the power adapter (wall plug power cord to receiver) this a common problem with the DL's
    someone on this site has done some extensive work on this problem and even posted about it and the resolution to it
    I had to change mine out on my T4 because i was getting the signal error issue & other weird things happening, which led to
    not having the right voltage going to receiver etc. which may cause switching issues (voltage to switch)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

OK, I'll dig into my junk box and see if I have a high power 12 v adapter to give it a try. I can also open up the receiver to see if there are any swollen caps.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

is the other receiver that is working a DL, if so I would suggest you try that power adapter on the non-working one
    before you go and plug in a high powered 12 v adapter, which may blow something (swollen caps) etc.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by auggie View Post
    is the other receiver that is working a DL, if so I would suggest you try that power adapter on the non-working one
    before you go and plug in a high powered 12 v adapter, which may blow something (swollen caps) etc.
    I hate to use the adapter from the other receiver, the way I have all my wires tied and routed through the cabinet makes it a pain in the butt to take it out and put it back again. The T4 adapter is rated at 2.5 amp and I found one in my junk box rated at 2.8 amp so it will be a good substitute. I have it plugged in now and so far it's working.
    As soon as it warms up outside I'll reconnect the EMP 8x1 and see if it switches properly again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dogdayz For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

These FTA receivers especially the newer ones don't seem to have the power required to run all the stuff
    needed for Sat. operation (dishes,Lnb's, DP,DPP, Muti-swithes, etc.) they were designed for legacy equipment 13v-18v switching
    not for all the power hungry stuff that is used "NOW"

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

It's not the AC to DC power adapter that runs the LNB's and switches directly, but the internal DC switching power for the LNB connection on the receiver, you can use a 5 amp external power supply to run the receiver, but the receiver will still only supply 500 mA (most if not all FTA receivers) to the LNB's and other stuff connected to the receivers LNB input connector.

If running the Dish D1000 power hog LNB and some sort of switch you will be over taxing the DC output from the receiver.

Also some multi switches (but not all) will power all atttached LNB's at the same time, this can lead to an over current problem if the switch is not an externally powered one, this can affect the reception on some if not all satellites.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by auggie View Post
    The receiver will only take as much DC current from the external DC power supply as needed to run the receiver and attached equipment.

If the old AC to DC power adapter was rated at 12 VDC 2 amps you can use one rated at 12 VDC 5 amps or more and it will not hurt anything, as long as you don't go over the 12 volt DC rating (plus or minus a half a volt) you will be safe, I have a ton of stuff running on a 12 VDC 50 amp supply without problems, they all connect to a DC distribution buss with the proper fusing for each attached device, this saves on tons of AC to DC adapters lying around in the radio cabinet.

This is what I use for the power to all my DC stuff.

Code:
    https://powerwerx.com/west-mountain-radio-rigrunner-4005
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Sorry I'm not an expert like yourself, was trying to use the KISS method in regards to dogdayz problem he was having
    and suggested he try the other power supply that was working. All my sat stuff is legacy equipment (LNB,Switches,etc.)
    a lot less headaches on setup, for me anyways.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    It's not the AC to DC power adapter that runs the LNB's and switches directly, but the internal DC switching power for the LNB connection on the receiver, you can use a 5 amp external power supply to run the receiver, but the receiver will still only supply 500 mA (most if not all FTA receivers) to the LNB's and other stuff connected to the receivers LNB input connector.

If running the Dish D1000 power hog LNB and some sort of switch you will be over taxing the DC output from the receiver.

Also some multi switches (but not all) will power all atttached LNB's at the same time, this can lead to an over current problem if the switch is not an externally powered one, this can affect the reception on some if not all satellites.
    Can I safely put a power inserter inline with a diseqc? If so would it help with running the five LNB's and the 8x1?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 275x in 181 Posts

Can I safely put a power inserter inline with a diseqc? If so would it help with running the five LNB's and the 8x1?
    The power inserter has to be on it's own cable or it could damage your receiver. So it would not work with your particular set-up, if you switched to let say a 1000.2 lnb or DP4x4 switch then you could put the power inserter on one of the open ports.
    Last edited by Mavrick; 12-26-2018 at 01:49 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mavrick For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Well, I replaced the original T4 power adapter with another one, put my EMP switch back in with all five LNB's connected and so far everything looks good. The receiver is switching perfectly again.
    So I don't know if the adapter was the issue or not. It was putting out 12.2 volts but maybe was not supplying enough current.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast