Thread: Bad Signal T5 and T4.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 243x in 142 Posts
    Items DishWhiskeyA BeerPresentpoisonTreasureCashRibbon 3

Arrow Bad Signal T5 and T4.

OK, T4-T5 "Bad Signal" (BS)

So there are a few threads on this look at these two maybe more;

https://www.satfix.to/showthread.php...urbo-and-Power!

and

https://www.satfix.to/showthread.php...ed-help-please

I've been trying to nail down the "Bad Signal" problem in the T4 and T5 for some time. I have actually hooked a 12VDC 5A power supply and I still got random BS. Even after I did the attached fan mod (see pictures). While the fan mod let it run for about two days without a reboot sometimes I still have to shut it down for half and hour or more. I even took out 8PSK and still BS came up.

Special thanks to satfixer: bbature. He said this in a PM and I also thought in a thread but I can find it.

Quote bbature "If you take the side caps (he means covers) out from the tuner (off factory tuner) you'll notice gets very hot in my case anyway and get a air duster spray turn it upside down and spray inside the tuner on the open end caps while running you'll see signal comes back till gets hot again, couldn't find tuner to replace with good luck let me know how you make out."

So I am going to do few thing over the next days. One remove tuner from the board and add a heat-sink to the factor tuner chip, then re-flow then solder it back on, this will rule out cold solder. If it works well for a few day I will stop. If not I'm going to replace the crystal in the tuner. Will take pics when I have it apart.

As a note when I got BS I would sometimes turn unit off with front switch or remote. Sometimes it would say "updating or saving TP information please wait". That's what makes me think it's drifting off frequency. Maybe the heat-sink will be enough going, to find out soon

Anyone what type of adhesive is used to glue on head-sink to a chip? Better yet where to get a cub like the one used on 8PSK, where to get that material and what it's called? I would rather try the cube first.

Had to attach pics as zip.

JETS
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jets; 01-10-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,356x in 3,657 Posts
    Items BurgerImmunity to TheftRibbon 4DogCheetos

Maybe this:
    hxxps://www.amazon.ca/15x15x1mm-Silicone-Thermal-Conductive-Heatsink/dp/B01MR5BXIQ

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23x in 18 Posts

Have the same issue with my T5 Jets to the point where I have put it away.
    If you gain any please post.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362x in 550 Posts
    Items Surfboard
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM from darlinkat
there is water involved lolbeerCrown Royal
Gift received at 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM from Just_angel

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post

As a note when I got BS I would sometimes turn unit off with front switch or remote. Sometimes it would say "updating or saving TP information please wait". That's what makes me think it's drifting off frequency. Maybe the heat-sink will be enough going, to find out soon
    The part about it updating or saving TP is normal when you power off occasionally. Its just updating TP moves from the provider. Auto channel/TP update must be set to on with your units. I wouldn't concern yourself with that as being part of the problem.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surfinisfun For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

I would not directly spray the liquid coming out of those air dusters on any electronic component, if the IC is hot and the spray is waaaaay too cold, you would do more damage then good.

The sudden very cold spray could cause a lead on the IC to pop off or do some type of internal damage, it could even crack the case of the IC, this could/would FUBAR the whole receiver.

Best to put a fan on it, they make some very quiet fans at frozen CPU dot com.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295x in 2,138 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

My T4 I mounted a CPU fan in the Top cover blowing air down over the PS Board and such, to keep things cool