Thread: Android Tv Update Puts Home-screen Ads On Sony Smart Tvs

stilled is offline Watered Down Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2019 week 1 champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 821x in 235 Posts

Default Android Tv Update Puts Home-screen Ads On Sony Smart Tvs

Info . . .

Google is testing a new "Pilot Program" that puts a row of advertisements on the Android TV home screen. XDA Developers, which was the first to report the program, says: "We're currently seeing reports that it has shown up in Sony smart TVs, the Mi Box 3 from Xiaomi, NVIDIA Shield TV, and others."

The advertising is a "Sponsored Channel" part of the "Android TV Core Services" app that ships with all Android TV devices. A "Channel" in Android TV parlance means an entire row of thumbnails in the UI will be dedicated to "sponsored" content. Google provided XDA Developers with a statement saying that yes, this is on purpose, but for now it's a "pilot program."

Sony has tersely worded a support page detailing the "Sponsored channel," too. There's no mention here of it being a pilot program. Sony's page, titled "A sponsored channel has suddenly appeared on my TV Home menu," says, "This change is included in the latest Android TV Launcher app (Home app) update. The purpose is to help you discover new apps and contents for your TV." Sony goes on to say, "This channel is managed by Google" and "the Sponsored channel cannot be customized." Sony basically could replace the entire page with a "Deal with it" sunglasses gif, and it would send the same message.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,724x in 778 Posts
    Items PlaneVintage carCoffee makerImmunity to TheftGreeceCanadaWhiskey

I can confirm that this did show up on the latest update on the Mii box.
    However, for now at least, you can turn it off.
    From "Settings-->home screen", you go to "customize channels", then all the way at the bottom, there is an option for "promotional channels", and when you select that, you have the "apps spotlight" which you can turn off. Wording may be slightly different (going from memory), and they have buried it, but it's there.

As long as I can disable it, I have no problem with it. When/if it becomes forced, then that opinion will change

I paid asking price or my device (not subsidized), and don't think they should be able to force ads on my existing device. Now, if it was sold like some android phones on amazon, where you get a discount for accepting to live with ads, then that is a different story.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emporium For This Useful Post:

stilled is offline Watered Down Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2019 week 1 champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 821x in 235 Posts

Yes, have it on the shield as well, but can be disabled as you said, in home screen settings, customize vhannels, promotional channels, thank god, lol,