Thread: dreamilink t5 wont connect to server

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 9 Posts

Default dreamilink t5 wont connect to server

brand new t5, im trying to use the internet connection out of my laptop via a lan wire from the laptop to the dreamlink. lan connection. I do get ethernet connected and see it also on my laptop that its sending and receiving. I entered all my server info in the network settings, even tried the other way (make2dream) to make sure i wasent making any mistakes) still wont connect to server. i know my server is working because i tested my my server info on my other setup (irrd2pc) i was using before and it connected right away. One thing i noticed is when i unplug the lan cable from the the pc i get the message server connected !!! recconect the lan wire and get cant connect to server. i tried to do the opposite , press connect with the lan wire uncconnected, get cant connect to server and the connect the lan wire and i get : server connected lol but no image so i know its a glitch. i alo tried to do hard reboot sequences of my laptop and the dreamlink by shutting it off from behind and waitind 5 seconds , no success.. prob has to do wtith my lan settings i guess?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

you seem to have a strange setup. you say you're using the ethernet connection out of your laptop?
    do you mean you have a wifi connection to the laptop and are using it for ics (internet connection sharing)?
    if this is the case you will need to use a crossover cable or connect the t5 through a switch and the laptop to the switch.
    why don't you just use your router and connect the t5 that way? that's the standard way everyone does it.

please explain better. if you are using dhcp on the t5 and get an ip address, can you ping the t5 from a command prompt?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 9 Posts

no wifi connection, im using a lan wire from the laptop to the dreamlink, the t5 doesent have wifi, i ordered a dongle to be able to use wi-fi but havent received it yet. i cant connect my router directly to the dreamlink because its too far away from the tv lol. im not using dhcp as its not working that way,it woulnt generate an ip, so i had to do it the static way. And i thnk that might be my problem, i had to make the static setttings in my pc, and match them to the static settings in the dreamink, i chose wathever number combination i wanted as long as it was the 2 in both machines, dont now if that matters ot not. when i go check my network connections, i see its connected and sending and receiving but i does say network connection not available

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbor View Post
    no wifi connection, im using a lan wire from the laptop to the dreamlink, the t5 doesent have wifi, i ordered a dongle to be able to use wi-fi but havent received it yet. i cant connect my router directly to the dreamlink because its too far away from the tv lol. im not using dhcp as its not working that way,it woulnt generate an ip, so i had to do it the static way. And i thnk that might be my problem, i had to make the static setttings in my pc, and match them to the static settings in the dreamink, i chose wathever number combination i wanted as long as it was the 2 in both machines, dont now if that matters ot not. when i go check my network connections, i see its connected and sending and receiving but i does say network connection not available
    Well IF you're using a straight through Ethernet cable from the T5 to your PC. That aint going to work.
    A 'switch' or another router between the two would do the trick.
    Get it? In your setup you're using 4 wires in the cable. 2 to transmit, 2 to receive.
    For a direct Ethernet connection you need a cable that swaps the tx/rx wires internally.
    Right now you are transmitting data to transmitted data and receiving data to received data.
    A crossover cable would transmit to received, and receive to transmitted.
    All of that is done automatically in a switch/router/hub using standard straight throughs.

Attachment 27627
    Last edited by Arlo; 05-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 9 Posts

ok, just received my vonets vap11g-300, worked right away, but im using my wifi signal from my house network. My goal is to be able to use the internet connection of my cell phone (i phone 8) and bring the dreamlink to our summer cottage where we rely on our cell phones for internet signal. from what im reading the vonets doesent support iphone so that would be why i counls not see it in the available wifi devices. Is there a another device similar to the vonets if it indeed its not compatible with iphones that does the same as the vonets? thanks alot!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 23x in 18 Posts

I can verify it works with my Blackberry.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 9 Posts

blackberry isent an ios based phone. i have been researching this for many days now and still havent found an answer to my question. i havent found any model thats says iphone compatible...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Still on this?
    Okay. Listen. Turn your iphone into a hotspot.
    Now you have a hotspot going you'll want to make sure the phone has a strong signal (aka: Bars)
    Keep it in a window, plugged in. Facing a tower.
    So if all is working you will be able to see the hotspot and connect to it with your laptop. Or tablet. Or another phone...
    Now you want to get that wifi hotspot signal to your T5. How??
    You need a wifi extender with an ethernet port. There are tons out there. Take your pick.
    It will rebraodcast the wifi signal to a new wifi access point name of your choice.
    And give the option of having a DHCP wired Ethernet connection.

Phone>Turn into a hotspot>hotspot connects to wifi range extender through wifi >ethernet port on wifi extender connects to T5 with ethernet cable>T5 should get a DHCP IP address.

I've been doing stuff like this for a long time.
    Your cell provider may charge you to turn on the hotspot, and charge again if you eat up your data.
    Unless you root (jailbreak) your phone.
    If you only use the phone for iks, 50kbs is typical data use. Do the math.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 9 Posts

yes im still on this, but finally got it working today, the vonets router wont see my iphone (or any ios based device)
    i bought another small wifi extender after talking to a tech who said it would see my iphone. it now works but only thing that gave me a hard time is that when i use my house network for the internet the dreamlink connects via dhcp connection, and when im on my phone i have to enter static connection numbers for it to connect, dont know why it wont work dhcp

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

can you give the extender make and model please?
    is there a wps function to connect devices to it?
    ios devices sometimes, i've found are a bit of a bear to connect to home networking.
    they (ios) have almost too good of security.
    have you tried updating firmware on the extender?
    i'm glad you're finally on the right track.
    one thing too. give your wifi devices a little distance from each other. the radio frequencies used don't like being too close together.
    i'll look for solutions if you give the extender info.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 9 Posts

tp link: tl-wr802n ill be more specific, i tried connectiong my playstation4 to it and it found the dhcp adresss right away and connected. the dreamlink gets the ip adress from the router, but all the other lines :subnet mask, gateway, dns1, dns2 are 0's, it only picks up the ip adress and doesent connect unless i enter the other numbers manually

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbor View Post
    tp link: tl-wr802n ill be more specific, i tried connectiong my playstation4 to it and it found the dhcp adresss right away and connected. the dreamlink gets the ip adress from the router, but all the other lines :subnet mask, gateway, dns1, dns2 are 0's, it only picks up the ip adress and doesent connect unless i enter the other numbers manually
    Ahhh. Looks like a nice box!
    I find using client mode works well for me.
    May take a bit of reading.

Cilent mode gets all of your info you put above from the main router.
    If you get dhcp from the tp link, it has to figure out if your main router is assigning dhcp in a range that is valid.
    Again....IF the main router assigns dhcp addresses in a range of...ex: 192.168.1.2-100
    And the tplink wants to use 192.168.101-255....it's out of the range that the main router wants to work with.
    Client mode should take care of all of that.

Read, try different modes on the tp link. And try to understand what and how each one works.
    It basically works like an extension of your main wifi router. All ip assignments, come from it.

Sometimes manually adding your info the (tp-link) helps. Again, reading and perhaps a little youtubing will assist.
    I actually prefer manual ip configs for my dreamlink. I found that port forwarding in the router(s) I use gives a more solid path of communication. For example some routers open ports up to 10000 very well, above those it may get a bit balky.
    You may want to check your firewall settings too in the routers.

Stay in touch!

edit:

I got thinking. I have 2 wifi networks. The main router uses a 192.168.1.xxx range.
    My other router gets the 192.168.1.1 dhcp server and broadcasts its own dhcp in the 192.168.5.xxx range.
    Read, try it. Dont forget that IF you change ip's in the routers you will then access them using the new IP from a pc to get the config page in them. If you screw up, there's always factory reset to start all over.
    Yeah, I've factory reset many times to get where I am now.
    Last edited by Arlo; 06-04-2019 at 02:54 PM.