Thread: IPTV SD channels

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27x in 9 Posts

Default IPTV SD channels

Does anyone know which IPTV service offers the most SD channels? We have pathetic "broadband" out here and HDs are glitchy, at best.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Not off topic. May I ask what your download speed is when you run speedtest with no other devices connected to your router?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27x in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
    Not off topic. May I ask what your download speed is when you run speedtest with no other devices connected to your router?
    3mbps - SDs work with nothing else online

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sugar mountain View Post
    3mbps - SDs work with nothing else online
    I asked because with my 100 meg service, less than 3 weeks I capped out my 950gb data limit. The ISP slowed me to 1mbps.
    They want an extra 10 a month for unlimited data. Live and learn I guess...
    I'd ask your ISP what your cap limit is.

I learned a few router tricks to smooth out the data peaks that occur. Here's my stats watching SD only.
    I was off work today so I stayed up way late.Attachment 27655

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27x in 9 Posts

Interesting. We have unlimited with a top speed on 3 mbps. We were promised 6 at sign up ten years ago! That cannot happen until they install new equipment they tell us now. I have been testing many different providers trying to find one that works. I am testing one now where even many HDs work! I can't figure it out? But Dad said to never look a gift horse in the mouth! ha! ha!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sugar mountain View Post
    Interesting. We have unlimited with a top speed on 3 mbps. We were promised 6 at sign up ten years ago! That cannot happen until they install new equipment they tell us now. I have been testing many different providers trying to find one that works. I am testing one now where even many HDs work! I can't figure it out? But Dad said to never look a gift horse in the mouth! ha! ha!
    Interesting. We get around 70 itc cable channels w/o needing a box here. A perk I guess. Of course no epg and channels come in as ex: 13.626.
    I'm using an Amazon device and I set video settings down to 720p. And turned on the data limit notification.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494x in 807 Posts
    Items Vintage carCheckered FlagCanadaElephant 2RepMedalMartiniDish

I asked because with my 100 meg service, less than 3 weeks I capped out my 950gb data limit. The ISP slowed me to 1mbps.
    They want an extra 10 a month for unlimited data. Live and learn I guess...
    I'd ask your ISP what your cap limit is.

I learned a few router tricks to smooth out the data peaks that occur. Here's my stats watching SD only.
    I was off work today so I stayed up way late.Attachment 27655
    Nice Traffic Monitor - where did you get it from - couldn't find one quite like it on a google search
    NipPEr Is a diSh liCkeR!
    4e697050457220497320612062755474206c69436b655221

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725x in 778 Posts
    Items PlaneVintage carCoffee makerImmunity to TheftGreeceCanadaWhiskey

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Nice Traffic Monitor - where did you get it from - couldn't find one quite like it on a google search
    That is pretty much from most ASUS routers.. I have an ASUS RT-AC3200 using Merlin formware, and I get the exact same stats.. It's pretty nice.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 58x in 47 Posts

There is a service out there that does most in SD for broadb issue customers, low end provider for low end customers & cost/service reflects.
    don't wanna get booted here byposting linx and i am not reseller or tout.
    google is your friend, and always ask for trial b4 doing anything silly long term.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26x in 19 Posts

Yes. It's the monitor from Asus Merlin firmware. RT-AC68P.
    IPTV seems like a bit of a 'pit' for nubies like me. I've tried several trials and 1 month subs before iks took a dive.
    Currently on a 48hr, iks tryout. It kind of sucks these days. I get many channels on C-Band that are also on ku.

It's been awhile since I used other router firmware flavors (Tomato). There's probably similar traffic monitors.
    I found that forcing my Fire TV to run only 720p my bandwidth usage decreased a lot. Was still getting overshoot spikes.
    In the Asus GUI there is QOS settings to limit up/down speeds. I ran the download watching hd channels to a point where it started buffering. Then bumped it up a touch.

There is a fq_codel setting which after reading a little seemed to help overshoot spikes and smooth the rapid up/down "tachometer" displays. So that's what is enabled right now.

I also have an Edision os mio 4k sat receiver used for C-band. Very nice box, by the way.
    I've installed a Stalker app on it and have my IPTV acct. loaded on it. I need to see how data usage compares to the Amazon device.

Obviously IPTV providers should realize that not all of us can use full bandwidth w/o reaching a data cap very fast with our ISP's.
    That was my surprise.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725x in 778 Posts
    Items PlaneVintage carCoffee makerImmunity to TheftGreeceCanadaWhiskey

Yes. It's the monitor from Asus Merlin firmware. RT-AC68P.
    IPTV seems like a bit of a 'pit' for nubies like me. I've tried several trials and 1 month subs before iks took a dive.
    Currently on a 48hr, iks tryout. It kind of sucks these days. I get many channels on C-Band that are also on ku.

It's been awhile since I used other router firmware flavors (Tomato). There's probably similar traffic monitors.
    I found that forcing my Fire TV to run only 720p my bandwidth usage decreased a lot. Was still getting overshoot spikes.
    In the Asus GUI there is QOS settings to limit up/down speeds. I ran the download watching hd channels to a point where it started buffering. Then bumped it up a touch.

There is a fq_codel setting which after reading a little seemed to help overshoot spikes and smooth the rapid up/down "tachometer" displays. So that's what is enabled right now.

I also have an Edision os mio 4k sat receiver used for C-band. Very nice box, by the way.
    I've installed a Stalker app on it and have my IPTV acct. loaded on it. I need to see how data usage compares to the Amazon device.

Obviously IPTV providers should realize that not all of us can use full bandwidth w/o reaching a data cap very fast with our ISP's.
    That was my surprise.
    IPTV is definitely not like IKS. IKS is very little Data obviously. IPTV, you are streaming full video content.
    I never recommend IPTV to anyone with CAPs. You can get some nasty surprises. This is the main reason for going with a decent 3rd party ISP (instead of the big boys). You typically get unlimited bandwidth, typically for less cost than a capped service with the big boys. Also, the amount you use, is dependent obviously on your viewing habits.

I only have IPTV sub on 1 device. But on my other device, I often use some free liveTV apps, or movie/tv show apps (similar to N3tFlix). On weeknights, I think we use it maybe 3 to 4 hours max.. On weekends it can vary. I usually do anywhere between 500GB to 1TB per month. However over the internet we run all our services, including IPTV, VoIP, surveillance system, personal cloud backups, streaming music, and I even run my own VPN server for various purposes.
    And the consumption fluctuates, depending on whether the kids are in school or on break. When they are on break, it spikes, since the Xbox one takes it's huge updates, then the steam games on each of the kids PCs does the same, etc.. They all ad up when each update is 70GB+.

Some people watch TV, and fall asleep in front of it. Just because you are not watching it (or even if your TV is turned off), it still is streaming and consuming data. It's not a cable channel Some apps, will auto stop streaming if not touched for x amount of hours. Others have "sleep" functions which allow you to choose, which help control the bandwidth used when you forget it, or fall asleep. This can help at least for those who fall asleep in front of the TV.

I've always been on unlimited plans. I can't predict how much I will use, and have no desire to try to control it. I use what I want, and not worry about it. I no longer torrent much (since I just direct stream most stuff), but back in the torrenting days, I used to go through TBs and TBs of Data/month.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I've been using ipguys. As my internet speed is only 3mbps. However, I can't have other devices, especially Apple products, connected. Hope it helps.