Thread: King Tailgater and using a 100 foot cable

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 4 Posts

Question King Tailgater and using a 100 foot cable

I have a King Tailgater Self Positioning Dish with a DN 211z Receiver that I use with my RV.
    When I'm not using my RV I use the dish and Receiver at home.
    My problem is....I want to run my Coaxial Cable (RG6 with 18gauge copper wire) further than 50 feet which is the max distance required by DN.
    The reason for only being able to use 50 feet is so the receiver can run power to the Tailgater Dish, anything further there wouldn't be enough power.
    I was thinking if I use RG11 Cable (which has a thicker copper wire 14gauge) the Receiver would be able to receive the proper power needed at 100 feet?
    Any Help would be appreciated.
    By the way, I'm using this at home in Southern Ontario Canada.

Thanks,
    Sha2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sha2 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

You could try using a DPP44 switch (out at the dish) and power inserter (at the receiver), this would give you up to 200 feet on the max coax length.(and be able to run 4 receivers)(I have never tried this before, so it a best guess)

With the RG11 you would need pigtail adapters (RG-6) at both ends to connect to the dish and then the receiver,(RG-11 is hard to bend in tight spaces) this may cause loss.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 4 Posts

Hi Terrl
    I don't want to add a switch to the Tailgater Dish as it already has a built in Switch and I don't want to add a Booster to the cable either.
    The Tailgater RV Dish only works at maximum 50 feet with RG6 Cable because the Dish Antenna receives power from the Receiver.

My question is: can I go 100 feet with RG11 Cable and still get the power I need from my Receiver to my Dish?

By the way, I can buy 100 feet of RG11 cable with the connectors already on the cable so that's not an issue.

Thanks,
    Sha2

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sha2 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 275x in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sha2 View Post
    Hi Terrl
    I don't want to add a switch to the Tailgater Dish as it already has a built in Switch and I don't want to add a Booster to the cable either.
    The Tailgater RV Dish only works at maximum 50 feet with RG6 Cable because the Dish Antenna receives power from the Receiver.

My question is: can I go 100 feet with RG11 Cable and still get the power I need from my Receiver to my Dish?

By the way, I can buy 100 feet of RG11 cable with the connectors already on the cable so that's not an issue.

Thanks,
    Sha2
    I think you got his answer with "(I have never tried this before, so it a best guess)". There is no way to tell if it would work unless you find someone with the exact same set-up as you, all you can do is try it and if you have issues then try adding the power inserter to solve the problem.
    Last edited by Mavrick; 06-20-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

OK, RG-6 quad coax at 100 feet with an 18 AWG center conductor will drop 1.28 volts DC, RG-11 coax with a 14 AWG center conductor will drop .5 volts DC at 100 feet.

So with that info I would go with the RG-11, as the spec for that setup says 50 feet max using RG-6, that's a voltage drop of .64 volts DC, so you would be within the spec for the Tailgater setup. This assuming all is good as far as connections and other stuff.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?