Thread: Calling all LAN/router experts

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Default Calling all LAN/router experts

OK all, I have a very unique problem with a router at a location.

Here is whats going on, about around 10PM last Thursday they had the main router start to act up, it would by it's self reset, after it came back from a boot stage it would reset again, this would continue resetting every 35 seconds, now me being the only computer guy withing 60 miles I got a late night call for help.

On arrival I found this to be true, every 35 seconds the router would reset it's self, so I went looking at the system, asked if anything new was added, answer was no, so I replaced the routers power supply, no help, I checked the AC power at the routers location, it was withing spec, I then disconnected all cable's at the router except the power, it ran fine, it did not reset like it had been.

So I said AH HA I found something, (so I thought) now the very second I connected a LAN cable (and any LAN cable) it started resetting, hummmm, I removed the router and went to another room with it and a DC power supply, plugged it in and it worked fine, connected it to my laptop, and it worked fine, now thinking that there was something funny going on with the AC power in the room where the router was located I ran an extension cord from the room where the router work fine, the router reset, Grrrrr.

So I went home and got my spare router, hooked it up and it works, so now thinking it was the router, I installed a brand new one, (same make/model as the old one) guess what, it did the same thing, reset every 35 seconds.

The only difference between my spare router and the one that resets is the manufacture, my spare is a Netgear, the ones that wont work right are from Ampedwireless.

And yes I have a call into them, they are as puzzled as I am.

Sorry this is a long post, but need some more brains on this one.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,291x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Has the Router had any Firmware updates lately ? Read on a Forum that some FW updates have caused reboot issues
    Can you possibly roll back, down grade to older FW on it ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I have two of the same type routers doing the same thing, one router is about a year old, the new router is right out of the box, I got it last Friday, they wont work in the main equipment room, but will work in a different room, all equipment in the problem room has been shut down for testing.

I even ran an extension cord to the problem room from the room where they both work, same problem.

I did an RF sweep of the problem room, nothing was detected that could cause this.

I looked at the AC power, all is normal, I even tried some AC filters, nothing helped.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

sorry then it's beyond me what to suggest for your problem, sounds like a ground Fault somewhere ??

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I'm on the same wavelength, I have asked that a new POE for the ISP modem be sent out to me, it may be something radiating from it.

The ISP is supplied via a 5 GHz RF modem, it may have a problem, thats the only thing I cant test.

Here are some sweeps on whats on that system.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Your way beyond Me, only thing I would suggest, is maybe log in to router and set back to Default settings,
    could the wall plug possibly have a in-out ground short (lose wire or screw/nail shorting things) ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,831x in 6,153 Posts
    Items HookahA BeerFootballGolfACDCGuitar2street BikeCheckered Flag

So if you shut down the modem the router will stay up..............?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

No I shut everything in that room down but the DC power to the router and it will still reset, I have tried running AC power from the room where it will stay up but it still resets in that room.

I'm thinking that the room is haunted.

And I have two routers of the same type/brand that do this, and one from a different manufacture that doesn't, so it's not router related, both that have the problem have been reset to factory and the firmware has been flashed.

This all started one Thursday night at around 10PM, so no one was in the area and did something funny.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

You might try changing the breaker that feeds that room to the opposite phase in the electrical panel...........just a thought.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Where is the 5Ghz. antenna located also can the modem be moved farther away from the router or move the antenna? Thinking it's a 5G problem..........
    Last edited by steveOtoo; 02-05-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveOtoo View Post
    You might try changing the breaker that feeds that room to the opposite phase in the electrical panel...........just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by steveOtoo View Post
    Where is the 5Ghz. antenna located also can the modem be moved farther away from the router or move the antenna? Thinking it's a 5G problem..........

Ran an extension cord to a different room that's on the second phase, didn't help.

The modem and the receive antenna are about 45 feet away and about 30 feet up off the roof, it's been running like that for about ten years, and the ISP is sending a tech today to check it out, I called them yesterday to get a new POE for the modem to see if that may be a problem.

How this setup works is that the ISP's modem is embedded in the receive dish, this dish is on a mast up on a second taller buildings roof, on the inside at the equipment room you have a power injector (POE) connected to a weather proof CAT6 cable that feeds power out to the dish's internal modem, the ISP's data is sent down the CAT6 to the POE and the WAN signal is split off the POE to the router.

It is a 5 GHz signal but it would have affected this setup a long time ago, the tech will be able to test this, as I don't even see the signal from the modem on my sweep of the 5 GHz WIFI band.

Here is a sweep of the 5GHz band, the only thing that's there besides the routers 5 GHz WIFI is a signal from an AT&T router, I don't think that is a problem as it's way up on the end of the band and on a different channel, and I don't know where that one is coming from.

The modem is as far away as can be, and trying to move things would be a major job as all LAN cables come into the equipment room through conduit, there they meet up with 4-5 port gigabit LAN switches and the router that feeds them.

As I said this setup has been working great till last Thursday night, then POOF...All of a sudden the reset problem...

The funny thing is why does the old (5 years+) Netgear router work fine???? it is an old 54 MBPS 2.4 GHz WIFI router that I use as a spare.....

And why did a brand new out of the box replacement router of the same brand and type have the exact same problem, that is what has confused the engineers at Ampedwireless, we spent 3 hours testing things over the phone and internet....

I sent a ton of trouble shooting info to their senior engineer, I'm waiting for his feed back.
    Last edited by Terryl; 02-05-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveOtoo For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

OK guys here is some new info, the ISP tech said to try this, shut down the 5 GHZ WIFI in the router and see what that does.

I did and lo and behold it works, so now the problem looks to be something in the 5 GHz band (or a harmonic from something) where would that be coming from I don't know....I shut down the ISP modem (it TX's and RX's on 5 GHz) to see if it was the problem, same thing happened.

This setup has worked for over a year without problems.

Now after looking out at the setting Sun last night I saw a red flashing light just over the top of the hills in back, taking a drive this morning I found a new cell sight tower, looking at the cell maps on line, I find it's from AT&T, hummmmmm....Could they have just turned something in the 5 GHz band on at the time this problem started?????

I may need to contact AT&T to see whats up.

I'm going to go out to the wood shop and build me a Faraday cage, this way I can see whats happening to the router's LED's, I have line filters for this.

"Can you HIDE it"?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Putski is offline Visiting Dignitary/ 2019 nfl week 16 champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,064x in 999 Posts
    Items Some beerHookahA BeerImmunity to Theft

after you build the Faraday cage, would you take a pic and post it please..

Thanks putski

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

That project has been put on hold as the problem looks to be in the routers 5 GHz WIFI section, the ISP tech was out here and we went through some tests, if we turn off the 5 GHz WIFI section in the router it all works fine, checked the other router and it woks fine.

I then got on the phone to Amped and sent some test data to them, their tech looked at the data I sent him and agreed that there may be a problem with that model, he recommended an exchange for a newer model, I agreed.

Now waiting for the new router.

If I get back to the Farady cage project I will post info...Or if you want to build one I can post info on how to do this.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast