Thread: smaller power supplies

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Default smaller power supplies

Is there other power supplies I can find that are not so bulky for Iptv boxes or IKs boxes in general? I have a setup, and trying to avoid pulling out a dresser with tv above, space is tight overall in bedroom. All of these boxes power supplies are huge.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295x in 2,138 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Could run a extension cord out in the open where it's easy to get to (power bar etc.) ?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Thanks trying to make this clean looking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keegster17 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

It would all depend on the receivers power requirements, if it needs 12vdc at 500 mA, (or higher) and the power supply is 3"x3"x3" then that's it, remember these supplies use to be a foot square before they invented switching supply's.

You could look around on google for a smaller supply but it needs to be rated for your receiver, but if all you can find is one rated for the receiver and it looks too big for your needs then sorry you may be out of luck.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722x in 778 Posts
    Items PlaneVintage carCoffee makerImmunity to TheftGreeceCanadaWhiskey

Don't know what kind of dresser you have, or how much room you have behind the dresser, but some dressers have a small hollow at the bottom, since they are slightly elevated off the ground. In those cases, you can use something like these
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078X8CNF9
    The right angle will keep it tight against the wall. They are super short (1ft), so won't be messy, and it gets the block supplies just low enough to fit under the hollow at the rear.

Other option is to get a power supply keeps the block separate and uses a power cord (which you can also opt in getting an angled one to save space). Something like this:
    Code:
    https://www.primecables.ca/p-311006-sec-pw-12v-5a-12v-5a-acdc-power-supply-adapter-for-security-cameras
    This give you the flexibility, that you can plug it into the wall, and then move the box to another location.
    Code:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/leviton-duplex-single-gang-recessed-receptacle-white/1000687132
    On my living room setup, I have my TV on the wall really tight. I used one of these type adapters (above), and I replaced the wall plug with one of these deep outlets.

This allowed me to plug the TV in, and my stb, into the wall plugs, and since they were deep, it was perfectly flush. And then I placed the block part, velcro'd to the back of the TV (use good quality velcro otherwise the adhesive will get soft and fail from the heat).

The biggest challenge really is to find an adapter that uses the same size barrel end. Some boxes use some that are so small, then it is not easy to find. In my case, I had to cut the end off, and splice the one from the original adapter in. Not a big job, but I wasn't thrilled to have to cut up the original power supply.

Anyhow, just some ideas.
    Last edited by Bot; 04-24-2020 at 04:51 AM. Reason: removed live link/no live links

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emporium For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

cool thanks. I like the recessed outlet.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262x in 1,088 Posts
    Items Crown Royal
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from Bluegrass
Message: Just because you have been a member for a long time and because I wanted to....DeeMonitor
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassCheetos
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassBurger
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from Bluegrasshelicopter
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassMini Cooper
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 03-15-2020, 03:59 PM from Bluegrass

recessed outlet usually needs a deeper box

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722x in 778 Posts
    Items PlaneVintage carCoffee makerImmunity to TheftGreeceCanadaWhiskey

Quote Originally Posted by fn59 View Post
    recessed outlet usually needs a deeper box
    You are correct. Most need at least 2" deep boxes.

At least locally, there are 2 brands available. Eaton/Cooper and Leviton. In terms of depth, I think they were both about similar (1.7" to 1.8"). But for a retrofit, one thing to consider is the size of the wallplate. The models available when I did my install, The wallplates of the cooper units were slightly bigger (about 3mm on each side). This is handy in case you need to remove and replace your existing box, and you end up shaving a slighly bigger hole to get the boxes in/out. It will cover a little more "hole" (without needed to repair if you are carefull). My box was held in place by 1 screw entered from front at 45 degrees into the stud, so it was not too difficult to replace.

Here is the link to the dimensional drawing of a Leviton unit:
    Code:
    https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/689-Dimension-Drawing.pdf
    Sizes, including depth and wall plate dimensions can vary depending on models, from one location to another and from one year to another. So check your local shop to see what is available.

PS: Please make sure to turn off the breaker of any outlet before making any changes. And if you are not comfortable doing it, PLEASE get an electrician. It's not a super difficult job to do, but it all depends on your DIY skills.

For non-DIY type people, I think a power supply that keeps the block separate and uses a power cord is the best option, and pretty flexible.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

You could go with one of these hummers....

Code:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-3-Gang-White-Plastic-Old-Work-Standard-Rectangular-Wall-Electrical-Box/3421352
    Or even one of these....

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Construct-wall-Recessed-Entertainment-White/dp/B00ARIRI9Q
    I've used them before, the electrical receptacle mounts in the top or bottom, you can then plug the wall wart into it that way, and stuff the excess cord into it.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post: