Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3rd LNB blown in under two years

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

He rg6 from from the local cable company. I used the same cable for both. The dish at my dads is a really short run too. I’m just wondering if these Freesats are not very good receivers. I cut a piece off and it’s copper all the way through. It’s working with the frequency change now. I do some more playing with it. What does everyone here use for receivers. Maybe I need to upgrade them.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 243x in 142 Posts
    Items DishWhiskeyA BeerPresentpoisonTreasureCashRibbon 3

Quote Originally Posted by dcapper View Post
    If anything I’m thinking the voltage was too low. The long run and the storms out here seem to be frequent. My buddy lost his bell lnb last year when I lost this lnb. The one with the short run has been great with no blown lnb’s but no horizontal either.
    So if the voltage is too low you will lose one polarity. The short run is still missing a polarity then it could be crappy coax. You could make a break out cable and test the voltage at the LNB under load (connected). It's possible too that you are only getting the high voltage polarity and the STB is not switching it's voltage low enough. Measurement is the sure way to know.

Anyone know of a device meant to test voltage of a connected load?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

The coax for CATV is not rated for satellite work, it stops around 900 MHz, it may look like it works but some of the higher end transponders run up to 2 GHz. (after down/up conversion, LO frequency minus the "C" band transponder frequency) )

Do you have a small magnet?? If so try it on the center conductor of the piece you cut off, if it sticks it's CCS type of coax.

I can't quite wrap my head around why the two different LO frequency's work for different polarity's, something is goofy with that setup.(or LNB)
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    So if the voltage is too low you will lose on polarity. The short rur is still missing a polarity then it could be crappy coax. You could make a break out cable and test the voltage at the LNB under load (connected). It's possible too that you are only getting the high voltage polarity and the STB is not switching it's voltage low enough. Measurement is the sure way to know.
    Not possible for an RF circuit like this, it will seriously up set the signals, you need a special interface to do a DC voltage measurement on an active RF circuit.

If he was getting only a high DC voltage then he would be stuck in the horizontal polarity's only, he gets the horizontal polarity's if he turns the LNB.

Plus 13 volts DC gets you the vertical transponders, plus 18 volts DC gets you the horizontal transponders, these voltages have a plus or minus 1 volt tolerance, if at the end of the run of coax your under 17 volts, the LNB may not switch correctly, if under 13 volts the LNB may stay in the default mode of vertical transponders only.

The average DC voltage drop on copper coated steel type center conductor coax is around 2.6 to 2.8 ohms per 100 feet, the average DC voltage drop on pure copper type center conductor is around .6 to .7 ohms per 100 feet.......What one would you all pick??

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,931x in 902 Posts
    Items Hockey
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 03:07 AM from Bluegrasshelicopter
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:59 AM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:53 AM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 01-04-2020, 05:41 PM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 01-03-2020, 08:22 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM from Bluegrass

the run I have is around 150 feet, I was worried about RG6, so I went with the RG11 more expensive but worth it, could be an option for you dcapper, Amazon has a few sellers that offer it at a pretty good price...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sonicmario For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I use RG-11 in some of my long run installs, the only draw back is that the connectors are a bit hard to find, unless you get it with them installed.

"Can you HIDE it"?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 521x in 311 Posts
    Items Some beer
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:59 AM from BluegrassTree
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:59 AM from BluegrassACDC
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:59 AM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:59 AM from BluegrassPlane
Gift received at 01-05-2020, 02:53 AM from BluegrassImmunity to Theft

Every chinese pos lnb I have tried will only work on one polarity. Their stuff is garbage.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 166x in 106 Posts
    Items HeadstonesTV

Bringing up the old thread. I'm still running 5150 for v and 5750 for h at the lake and it's still working fine. At my dad's house I took a portable tv and the freesat outside and used a 10' piece of coax and still no h. I'll change the lnb this week. But I know his signal gets weak a lot at the house. The neighbor parked his massive rv by the dish. I'm sure that's not helping matters.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234