Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: signal, no signal, signal, so signal....

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 16x in 10 Posts

Default signal, no signal, signal, so signal....

In the past few months I've noticed something strange. My T5 boots up and on 82 north, it appears to have no signal, displaying 'bad signal' and blinks constantly. Until I move to 91 north and almost instantly get channels, but have to move up and down the channels until it all clears up.
    Now moving back to 82 north, it still takes a while to actually get good signal up again. The signal bar shows red, then green for a quick second, and back to red. It seems to be trying very hard for signal strength to be good, but eventually does get up to snuff. Takes approx. 5 minutes all together, from power on.
    My questions is...could it be old/poor connections outside? You know, the cables, switch etc.? Too damn cold to go out there right now and try and see, but just wanted to see if anyone else had these types of issues recently.
    Thanks.
    testing viewsat ultra, viewsat platinum light, coolsat 6000, dreamlink HD T5

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,291x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

If it's to cold to check cables,switches,LNB's etc. outside, couple of things you can check for are
    1. Try another power adapter (plugs in wall plug) 2. Add some (cooling)fans to the T5 to help with heat issues
    3. HD Module maybe on it's way out, or not seated properly and/or heat buld-up
    If you are getting the No signal or bad signal showing on TV screen I would be leaning to #1 power adapter especially
    if it was the original one that came with the box, they are a KNOWN problem

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

How cold is it outside?? If below freezing it could be the LNB, the cold could cause the internal local oscillator to drift outside the normal frequency for the correct down-conversion of the transponders.

Problems switching between satellites could also be due to the cold affecting the LNB or the switch if used and it's outside.

Does it clear up after it gets warmer during the day, or stay with the same problem's all day long?

And if it gets warmer to check things out, be careful with the coax cables as the extreme cold can cause the outer PVC jacket to crack if bent too far, water intusion into the coax/connectors can cause all sorts of problems.
    Last edited by Terryl; 01-11-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 306x in 192 Posts

before doing all that i'd check power supply first, also make sure its being cooled. then work your self outside when its a littel warmer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wheresmystuff For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 517x in 205 Posts
    Items Cheetos
Gift received at 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM from Bluegrasshelicopter
Gift received at 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM from BluegrassA Beer
Gift received at 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM from BluegrassDish
Gift received at 01-06-2020, 02:18 AM from Bluegrass

for some reason these boxes kill the power supplies i have at least 6 or 7 in my drawer from these that just stopped working i just ordered 4 from amazon they were 2 for 20 bucks so i'd start with that and have a backup because odds are you'll need it. i found a nice little trick of making a little fan from a computer fan and a usb cable and just set it on top keeping it cool video on youtube works great.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scooby8888 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,291x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Get a set of these: hxxps://www.amazon.ca/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00IJ2J2K0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=AC+Infinity+MULTIFAN& qid=1610465933&sr=8-2

can place them anywhere blowing or sucking any heat out on your Rec. box & usb powered to boot

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,148x in 5,731 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by scooby8888 View Post
    for some reason these boxes kill the power supplies i have at least 6 or 7 in my drawer from these that just stopped working i just ordered 4 from amazon they were 2 for 20 bucks so i'd start with that and have a backup because odds are you'll need it. i found a nice little trick of making a little fan from a computer fan and a usb cable and just set it on top keeping it cool video on youtube works great.
    I think the o.e. power supply is either inadequate in output or inadequate in quality.If you're using long cable runs, passive switches & legacy lnbs, they just don't have enough jam.I've been using 12v/4A supplies from Sayal with great success.
    As per the o.ps post:sounds like the 8psk module from here.possible cable/switch/lnb issues, but the 91 sat would likely be affected as well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

As to the power supply, these things are massed produced as cheap as they can with cheap parts and sub assembly's from the lowest bidder.

Using a 12 volt supply in a receiver that may use +13 and +18 volt switching for the transponders, needs to use an internal voltage multiplier circuit, this is an engineering headache.

I would have used a 24 volt DC supply at around 3 amps, no problems regulating DC voltage downward.(don't use a 24 volt supply)

As to the switching between satellite, the diseqc switch port #1(if a diseqc switch is used) may be hooked to 91W,(diseqc port #1 is default) thus the clearing up of all problems, and the difficulty's switching back to 82W (diseqc port #2) maybe due to a bad switch, also if the LNB is a dual satellite type with an internal switch, it could be the cold weather affecting it.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 16x in 10 Posts

Well, I did change up the power supply to a 24v/1000miliamp, but I went too big and got some smoke and burning smell. Unplugged right away, Hooked up my other T5 box with the orig power supply and don't get any signal at all. So hooked up my current box with same power supply, and no signal on it either. Not sure what I did wrong, gotta go to work, when I get back I hope to resolve this before the big fight tonight.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7x in 5 Posts

I just ordered this. Hope it works on my Dreamlink HD as I have the same problem.
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073WSWT34/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Just wanted to update that this solved my problem....instant picture. Also, sorry for the live link.
    Last edited by brakes; 01-29-2021 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Live link in post

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 275x in 181 Posts

I had this same kind of issue, it turns out it was the cold weather messing with an older LNB. Every time it got cold out my signal strength would bounce around and cause a chirping sound on my Nfusion.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Brakes....Please no live outside links are allowed in the forum, next time just replace the http with hXXp, this will make the link dead, or do what I did to your post, put [] with the word code inside them and close the same way but with [/] and the word code after the /.

I would do it as an example but it would box the example

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,148x in 5,731 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Well, I did change up the power supply to a 24v/1000miliamp, but I went too big and got some smoke and burning smell. Unplugged right away, Hooked up my other T5 box with the orig power supply and don't get any signal at all. So hooked up my current box with same power supply, and no signal on it either. Not sure what I did wrong, gotta go to work, when I get back I hope to resolve this before the big fight tonight.
    I f you used a 24V power supply, you turned your Dreamlink into a Dreamstink.12V only, amperage 3.5A or better.You could power it with a car battery with 750 amp capacity & it wouldn't matter 1 bit, but over-voltage by a factor of 2 is a big no-no.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

He now needs a new T5, as stated by The Noof, the box he hooked to the 24 volt supply is now toast. It may be repairable if your good with a soldering iron and can find the parts, you would need a schematic as the smoke has been let out of the crispy parts and they may be hard to read.

You could replace a DC power supply for a receiver with one rated to about 1/2 a volt to one volt higher, but never one at 24 volts, the internal power circuits can't take that high a voltage difference.

If the old or dead supply was rated at 12 volts DC 3 Amp, then the new replacement one should be rated at 12 volts DC (or a bit higher), the DC current should be 3 Amps or it can be higher as the receiver will only use what it needs as far as DC current.

"Can you HIDE it"?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 16x in 10 Posts

I've just had someone adjust the dish to be better positioned, and still no 82. The signal does come in, as the guy had it hooked up but then it was gone again. If I was able to find another DL200 8PSK module, I could test to see if that's the issue. Anyone know who currently sells those?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast