Thread: router issue

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 341x in 233 Posts

Default router issue

My friend has a D-Link dir-x4860 router and we cant get any iptv to connect wirelessly. We tried 2 boomerang boxes and a buzz xpl 3000 and none will connect. No problem if its hard wired. He has his laptop, phone and other things connected wireless but cant get the iptv to connect.
    Does anyone had any idea why this may be happening? Any help appreciated......

runamok is offline Visiting Dignitary/NFL WEEK 16 & 18 CHAMP
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,504x in 4,184 Posts
    Items beerWhiskeyA BeerSprint carFootballYing & yangTreeDoll

Did you add router passwords to boxes and do boxes see the wifi network?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Does he know how to open the home page for the configuration settings of the router? If so then have him look at page 22 through 26 of the manual, this will give him an idea if the IPTV boxes are connecting to the router.

If they are not showing up in the connected clients page then something may be set wrong in the WIFI settings for the boxes, the wrong security password or a typo in the password may be at fault.

If he does not have a manual then look here....
    Code:
    https://support.dlink.com/resource/PRODUCTS/DIR-X4860/REVA/DIR-X4860_REVA_MANUAL_v1.00_WW.pdf
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I had him disconnect his I-Pad from the wifi and re-connect to make sure he was putting the password in correctly and he was.
    The box can see the wifi but when the password is input, it comes back 'try again'
    I called the isp since they hooked up the router just to ask if anything was blocked but it wasnt. Didnt think they would do that anyways but thought I'd ask. I also had him reboot the router just in case and still the same.
    Also, sorry for posting in the wrong section.......
    Last edited by squirtNcider; 01-30-2021 at 07:30 PM.

runamok is offline Visiting Dignitary/NFL WEEK 16 & 18 CHAMP
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,504x in 4,184 Posts
    Items beerWhiskeyA BeerSprint carFootballYing & yangTreeDoll

Try turning off ethernet in box then try to setup wifi password.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to runamok For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by squirtNcider View Post
    I had him disconnect his I-Pad from the wifi and re-connect to make sure he was putting the password in correctly and he was.
    The box can see the wifi but when the password is input, it comes back 'try again'
    I called the isp since they hooked up the router just to ask if anything was blocked but it wasnt. Didnt think they would do that anyways but thought I'd ask. I also had him reboot the router just in case and still the same.
    Also, sorry for posting in the wrong section.......
    OK...but are any of the box's showing up on the WIFI clients page in the router??? If not then try a simple WIFI password like 1234abcd as a test.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Ill have to see about the clients page in the router. Not sure when I can get back to his house due to the lockdown we are currently in but will check that for sure when I can.
    Ill also have him turn off the ethernet when I talk to him.....Will check back after trying these.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725x in 778 Posts
    Items PlaneVintage carCoffee makerImmunity to TheftGreeceCanadaWhiskey

Friends don't let friends buy Dlink crappy routers Buddy of mine decided against my recommendation to buy one since it was cheap and specs looked awesome at costco. For 3 weeks he struggled with his VoIP going offline regularly, and his IPTV constantly buffering and sometimes not even connecting. Eventually he returned it to costco, and took my advise and bought an ASUS router. Thing worked perfectly right out of the box with minimal setup or tweaking.

Anyhow, one thing he can try, is to disable authentication all together on his Wifi, just for a test. Yes I know it is not secure, but it is just to ensure that it is the authentication causing the issue, or something else.
    It may be a specific option in WPA/WPA2 setting that is causing the issue. Many of these new AX routers also support WPA3, but many devices still don't.

I know on y brother-in-laws ASUS router, I had to disable 802.11ax HE frame support. Otherwise his nest cameras would connect and disconnect almost immediately. I don't know if the Dlink router has such an option. One thing he can also do is try disabling the "AX" option (many allow you to disable it) which would effectively bring it down to an AC equivalent router. I know it is not ideal, but it is mostly to see what is causing it.

Does he have the latest firmware ? According to Dlink Canada, it is 1.04B03, released to public about 3 months ago.

And from the release notes, there are few things in there which could help, if he still does not have it.. #3 is a big one, which could exhibit this exact issue.

Firmware: 1.04B03
    Hardware: A1
    Date: 2020/10/30
    Note:
    Problems Resolved:
    1. Schedule rule is unable to be saved when setting too many blocks.
    2. Device may reboot in some corner use cases.
    3. TKIP error result in wireless connection failure.
    4. Quick VPN fails on some Android phones or tablets.
    5. Client list information error with extenders connected to the router
    6. A specific cable modem that causes internet connection loss after power off/on the router.
    Enhancements:
    1. Improved wireless stability.
    2. Improved FW query time.
    3. Improved Internet type detection flow.
    4. Improved security.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Well, couldnt figure out the box wont connect so we went with the next easiest route. Bought a $30 wifi extender and used the ethernet port to hard wire to the box. Problem solved I guess.....lol