Thread: RJ45 to RS232 Adapter on any OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Gargoyle/etc...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Default RJ45 to RS232 Adapter on any OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Gargoyle/etc...

Hey

I'm new here, to start with a quick little intro:
    I also used to be into FTA receivers like more than over a decade ago before they all had stopped working..
    But now after recent research from many of your website's multiple threads, I've found out about IKS.
    So now I'm interested for bringing back some life into a few of my FTA receivers that I've keeped all this time.

I've got quite a few "Viewsat Extreme VS2000",

I did land into one of your website's tutorials that provided the necessary files within an compressed archive under the name of: "Simple Step-By-Step_VS XTREME_RQ-SSSP"

The archive contains the following files:
    -> msvcr71.dll
    -> Zmodem32.dll
    -> Loader2.exe
    -> VIEWSAT_Xtreme_V0279.PGM
    -> DBPSW-SSSP-071031x fixed.pgm
    -> Step-by-step instructions for vs platinum rq-sssp-client.txt
    -> rq-sssp-client.exe
    -> rq-sssp-client.conf

So far (due to my laptop not having any rs232 ports/9pin null serial) I successfully managed to fix one of my old parked desktop computers and put Windows XP in it (using the custom image known as "Windows XP Pro SP3 Integral 2020.3.15", having most of everything integrated into the OS installation process being most up-to-date as possible).

I'm also a subscriber to one of the many available VPN services too (just to be more on the safe side with everything).

So, I've successfully completed the Loader2 flashing steps for my Viewsat Extreme VS2000
    -> First I flashed it with VIEWSAT_Xtreme_V0279.PGM successfully
    -> Then I flashed it with DBPSW-SSSP-071031x fixed.pgm successfully

Now I'm at the part where I need to subscribe for an IKS account (preferably under SAT9182).

Then all that's left to do after that would be to configure the "rq-sssp-client.conf" for inputting my IKS credentials and then finish off by running "rq-sssp-client.exe"

Although, I do have some questions to ask if anyone out there is able to help me

First: I read about XFTA Dongle Routers and I've read how they work from some of the most common alternate firmwares known as "OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Gargoyle/etc"

My question is: Would I be able to just simply use an RJ45 to RS232 adapter (aka: ethernet lan port to 9pin null modem port) to connect onto one of my router's RJ45 ports that's also running OpenWRT and/or DD-WRT?? (instead of buying a whole new router unit)

If not, then does anyone have any recommendation of which XFTA Dongle Router would be best to purchase? keeping in mind that I am in Canada.

Another question: I understand that the Viewsat Extreme VS2000 is an SD only receiver, but the feed that comes from the dish right now is connected to both nimiq82 and nimiq91 lnb's, now.. will that cause some sort of confusion with the Viewsat? and if so then i would assumed that i could install a seperate dish with a wire that connects straight into nimiq91 if ever it does?

Note: I haven't yet connected the Viewsat on the Dish feed as of yet and haven't done any updated channel search but aware that i'll most likely need too since all the channels on it right now are from a channel search that was conducted from over more than over 10 years ago.
    Last edited by blackcat; 04-14-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    Hey

I'm new here, to start with a quick little intro:
    I also used to be into FTA receivers like more than over a decade ago before they all had stopped working..
    But now after recent research from many of your website's multiple threads, I've found out about IKS.
    So now I'm interested for bringing back some life into a few of my FTA receivers that I've keeped all this time.

I've got quite a few "Viewsat Extreme VS2000",

I did land into one of your website's tutorials that provided the necessary files within an compressed archive under the name of: "Simple Step-By-Step_VS XTREME_RQ-SSSP"

The archive contains the following files:
    -> msvcr71.dll
    -> Zmodem32.dll
    -> Loader2.exe
    -> VIEWSAT_Xtreme_V0279.PGM
    -> DBPSW-SSSP-071031x fixed.pgm
    -> Step-by-step instructions for vs platinum rq-sssp-client.txt
    -> rq-sssp-client.exe
    -> rq-sssp-client.conf

So far (due to my laptop not having any rs232 ports/9pin null serial) I successfully managed to fix one of my old parked desktop computers and put Windows XP in it (using the custom image known as "Windows XP Pro SP3 Integral 2020.3.15", having most of everything integrated into the OS installation process being most up-to-date as possible).

I'm also a subscriber to one of the many available VPN services too (just to be more on the safe side with everything).

So, I've successfully completed the Loader2 flashing steps for my Viewsat Extreme VS2000
    -> First I flashed it with VIEWSAT_Xtreme_V0279.PGM successfully
    -> Then I flashed it with DBPSW-SSSP-071031x fixed.pgm successfully

Now I'm at the part where I need to subscribe for an IKS account (preferably under SAT9182).

Then all that's left to do after that would be to configure the "rq-sssp-client.conf" for inputting my IKS credentials and then finish off by running "rq-sssp-client.exe"

Although, I do have some questions to ask if anyone out there is able to help me

First: I read about XFTA Dongle Routers and I've read how they work from some of the most common alternate firmwares known as "OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Gargoyle/etc"

My question is: Would I be able to just simply use an RJ45 to RS232 adapter (aka: ethernet lan port to 9pin null modem port) to connect onto one of my router's RJ45 ports that's also running OpenWRT and/or DD-WRT?? (instead of buying a whole new router unit)

If not, then does anyone have any recommendation of which XFTA Dongle Router would be best to purchase? keeping in mind that I am in Canada.

Another question: I understand that the Viewsat Extreme VS2000 is an SD only receiver, but the feed that comes from the dish right now is connected to both nimiq82 and nimiq91 lnb's, now.. will that cause some sort of confusion with the Viewsat? and if so then i would assumed that i could install a seperate dish with a wire that connects straight into nimiq91 if ever it does?

Note: I haven't yet connected the Viewsat on the Dish feed as of yet and haven't done any updated channel search but aware that i'll most likely need too since all the channels on it right now are from a channel search that was conducted from over more than over 10 years ago.
    I can't help you with about 90% of this, but the bold underlined stuff I can

First part, you can get a USB to RS232 9 port adapter for your laptop, I use one for my weather station, and other stuff works great.

Second part, no the RJ45 LAN port on your router will not work to a 9 pin RS232 port, the communication protocols and DC voltages are completely different.(unless the receiver has been modified for this type of connection)

All the other stuff is beyond me.

And as to your last question, the feeds from the dish will not confuse the receiver, you just select the correct Diseqc port settings or 22 KHz switch settings for Nimiq 91.
    Last edited by Terryl; 04-14-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 65x in 35 Posts

If your running "rq-sssp-client.exe" on your computer and don't have a serial output a USB to serial converter will work.

Or can buy a serial card for the computer.

Vewsat Extreme like all SD receivers will only get channels from 91 sat.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Thanks!
    I've been meaning to reply earlier this week.

and yes, definitely a waste to solely use Nimiq82 with an SD receiver
    - SD cannot exceed Nimiq91's resolution.
    - Nimiq91 has way much more channels (on top of having all of Nimiq82's same channels)

I did own an rs232-usb-adapter once back in the day due to being the one who was tasked at updating mine and many of my friends viewsats instead of having each of them to be bringing me the viewsats all the time, ..but that adapter got lost over time..

..the fact that today that now you always need a device to always be connected on the viewsat rs232 port for it to work, i personally find it more preferable to have a dedicated solution which i can just always leave connected all the time on the viewsat and on the internet, and I just happen to have over a dozen of old computers in storage (anywhere from 2010 down to mid-90's), so i picked something from around 2005ish that seemed modernly capable being good enough and then installed Windows XP (due to the PC not having more than 1GB, and due to the files that I found were Windows reliant).

Also, very informative to know the important differences between the rj45/rs232 and the fact that their voltages are different.
    the viewsat definitely aint factory made to be able to regulate incoming voltage from it's data port..
    Thanks for sharing that knowledge, makes sense.

And also thanks about informing of going in the discqc port settings, I'll take a look at that tonight

I've still yet to go out to find a place that sells Prepaid Vanila or Perfect Gift Credit Cards (Northeast Ontario).

So, I've been thinking about something I wan't to ask:
    I have an Linksys EA4500 flashed with OpenWRT (I've really been interested in Linux these past several years)
    Specs are common: 720MHz Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558, 128MB Ram, 128MB Flash, USB 2.0

- Is it possible to connect a rs232 to usb adapter on that (the router) to run the sssp for viewsat?

- And if so, then does anyone know if it's also possible to put an USB Hub on OpenWRT?

- Otherwise, does anyone know if there's an rq-sssp "apk" somewhere out there for android?

- And, does anyone know if it's possible to put an rs232 to usb adapter on Android??
    Last edited by blackcat; 04-18-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

LAN AC common mode output voltage at the driver should not exceed 2.5 volts peak to peak into a 39 ohm restive load.

RS- 232 AC common mode output voltage can run up to 25 volts peak to peak...BIG difference, and on the RS 232 to the router USB, no the router does not have the drivers needed to run the USB to RS232 adapter.

As to the android to RS232 adapter, take a look here.
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Serial-Adapter-Android-Charging/dp/B00KXQUGXM

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Now they do make an RS-232 to LAN 10/100 converter/server take a look here.

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Serial-Ethernet-Converter-Device-Server/dp/B00FJEHNSO

"Can you HIDE it"?