Thread: Anyone use PTZ camera's ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,209x in 1,068 Posts
    Items Toaster

Default Anyone use PTZ camera's ?

Anyone use PTZ camera's ?

If so are you happy with the model you have ?

Curious of your setup as well . And how many you have / use .

Thanks for any advice or info you might have as well
    knowledge is power , power corrupts all

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

I use this brand,
    Code:
    https://amcrest.com/
    I like their 4K HD cameras, easy to setup and a great picture. I have installed several systems, I have 8 cams going into 2 DVR's, their PC program lets you look at any camera from anywhere in your network.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Toaster

what model(s) of ptz are you running from them ?

no power loss after 60 feet either ?

i bought quite a few of these below , thought it was a good deal .. but so far no luck getting it past 60 feet .

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

PTZ cameras are power hog's, you may need to run them with a local power supply. I have run them 120 feet with a local supply, also you may need to add a 220 ohm resistor to the end of your RS485 wire. If the control wire is not properly terminated (or too small of a gauge) it may have problems, check the spec's on your cameras.

And sorry for the lateness of this response, as we are getting a ton of rain shortly and have been clearing the yard for over 18 to 24 inches of rain.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    PTZ cameras are power hog's, you may need to run them with a local power supply. I have run them 120 feet with a local supply, also you may need to add a 220 ohm resistor to the end of your RS485 wire. If the control wire is not properly terminated (or too small of a gauge) it may have problems, check the spec's on your cameras.

And sorry for the lateness of this response, as we are getting a ton of rain shortly and have been clearing the yard for over 18 to 24 inches of rain.

yes sir you are absolutely right , the rs485 wire shorts out big time over 100 feet , same with the power .

these are the one's i am using below :

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Outdoor-Security-Control-405-22X/dp/B06XD2PZJ8/ref=sr_1_67?crid=2QETDU6V2T2NX&dchild=1&keywords=ptz+camera+outdoor&qid=1635001328&sprefix=ptz+camera%2Caps%2C712&sr=8-67

i used some old cat5 i had laying around , the controls sorta worked when it wanted to , well sorta ;x

flickering , off scaling , tearing , and acid tv show , off and on with snow .. surprised i didn't blow my test camera up .

i went through the comments and found out i wasn't alone with the power issue , someone wrote that you can use a extension cord and left a link to some better cables for video and ptz .

i tried the extension cord trick 100ft cord , it actually did work .

if i had 1 or two of these , i would probably use the extension cord trick , but i have a lot of these units , i know they're already outdated along with my unit , they've been in a box for years , i just wanted to see if i could use them still is all .

should i toss them out and get something better ? newer maybe ? or just have someone professionally install whatever on the market now ?

i honestly can't see my house with a bunch of extension cords being run all over the place . LoL ;x

interested in how you solved the power , when you say local power supply you mean like a junction box ?

you must be up north , i heard everyone up north is getting a real crazy storm , we kinda got something in so-cal " drizzle " ... nothing like you're getting way up north .. pretty wild storm ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

All the cameras for my system came with 100 foot video/power cords,( 12 volt DC system) I used 24 gauge bell wire for the control circuit, all this was run in PVC conduit,(for the outside cameras) on the longer runs (over 100 feet) I used a video to cat 5 baulin setup, I ran 14 gauge 110 volt AC inside the conduit (where used) to these long runs, then the 110 to 12 volt step down wall wart inside a bell box, this solved the power problems.

All wires were in the attic, in conduit or under the crawl space, the nice thing about the system I used is that the barn had it's own DVR/camera system, (400 feet from the house) it had 4 cameras tied into the DVR, and the DVR had a network connection, and the app that loads on the PC allowed me to use the LAN system to connect it all.

Now cat 5 cable is not a large enough gauge wire to use for the PTZ control, (unless you tie 4 wires (X2) into one) this is why I used the bell wire (2 wire setup) for the PTZ.

As too the oncoming storm, I live in the central Sierra Nevada Mountains, we may get some flooding as they say we may get about 18 to 20 inches of rain, last time this amount came down I wound up with 8 inches of water in the garage, this time I am sand bagging around the garage, the house sits about 36 inches above grade, the shop/barn about 12, so I may get off without flooding this time.

Going over later to help a friend, last time this happened he got 38 inches of water in his garage, we going to use plywood, 2 x 4's and plastic sheeting with sand bags (a lot of them) in front around the man door and garage door. Hope this works for him.

"Can you HIDE it"?