Thread: 4 port switch for multiple devices

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Default 4 port switch for multiple devices

Can I use a 4 port switch to feed internet to my sat box, android box and tv? I bought one of these and my modem is upstairs, so a cat5 comes down in the wall down to my tv, where I connected the cable to the 4 port switch, then connected the three devices to the switch. I thought it was working, until I got my sat box up and running, and found it was freezing once in awhile. So I by-passed the switch and had no issue. My Modem is a wireless Modem. I have been reading, and I am not sure if this setup will work?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

The incoming LAN cable (Cat 5 cable) can be split up to 254 ways (2 are used elsewhere) IF it is coming from a router, not a modem, (unless the modem has a built in router) in some cases where the modem has multiple LAN outputs (4 typically) then the modem may not have the correct software to act as a true router. (can IP address more then the onboard 4 ports)

A standard router can supply up to 255 IP addresses when setup as a DHCP server, it will sense all attached LAN devices and address an IP address to them based on the MAC address of the device, your modem may or may-not be able to do this.

If you can look at the modems configuration, check to see what it has the DHCP set to, you might not be able to change it to a DHCP server setup.

Also what speed of network switch did you get? There are several types, one is a 10/100 switch, the better one is a 10/100/1000 or gigabit switch.

In your case the modem may not be able to setup a local LAN network system,(DHCP addressing) so what can be done is to go get a cheap router and connect it to one of the modem's LAN ports, then connect all Cat 5 cables to the router, this will setup a local network and the router can assign all LAN IP addresses to all attached equipment.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Hi Terryl thanks for your help. modem is a model CGM4140com, Rogers ignite. My switch is a TP link model TL-SG10055D. Beyond that I am not very computer savvy. Hopefully you can recommend based on the info. I gave you. Thanks

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

OK, your modem has gigabit LAN ports (I think 4 of them) however all I can see on the configuration guide is that it supports 2 or 4 gigabit LAN ports, and your switch is fine,. As a test I would look for a gigabit router (or a standard router if you have one) and hook it to one of the LAN connections on the router, then hook all cat 5 cables to the router, this would give you a true LAN network setup.

I never have trusted a modem with an internal router, too many things to go wrong or a possible setup problem due to the OEM trying to restrict something.

The way I doe this is....Modem to router to switch, I have many switches in my setup, I have one modem (RF radio link) one router (amped wireless) to 6 switches (all Netgear), too many PC's/laptops and other LAN equipment) works flawlessly.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

Thanks I have a older dlink router model DIR-859, I will try that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to keegster17 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

If it works out then find a suitable gigabit router as your modem is rated to gigabit speeds, might as well get everything you can out of the system.

"Can you HIDE it"?