Thread: USB WiFi adapter for laptop

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 5 Posts

Default USB WiFi adapter for laptop

Hello:
    I am using an old Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which has the facility for 2.4GHz. I use windows 7, and use this laptop for music only.

I am thinking of getting a 1200mbps double antenna USB WiFi adapter for this laptop. The adapter device fits into one of the USB ports.

What would happen if I switch to the 5GHz? Would it work, would it damage my laptop?
    Has anyone tried using a USB WiFi adapter on a laptop, which is designed for only 2.4GHz, and switch the adapter to 5GHz?

Advise asap

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,148x in 5,731 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Hello:
    I am using an old Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which has the facility for 2.4GHz. I use windows 7, and use this laptop for music only.

I am thinking of getting a 1200mbps double antenna USB WiFi adapter for this laptop. The adapter device fits into one of the USB ports.

What would happen if I switch to the 5GHz? Would it work, would it damage my laptop?
    Has anyone tried using a USB WiFi adapter on a laptop, which is designed for only 2.4GHz, and switch the adapter to 5GHz?

Advise asap
    The frequency bands are determined by the network adapter rather than the computer.The 5ghz band will work great on your computer as long as you are in range for good signal strength.The 2.4 will allow you to be a greater distance from the wifi source and still show a strong signal, but the 5ghz will give faster bandwidth.This is true of any pc.
    P.S...your wifi has to be 5ghz capable to take advantage of it .
    Last edited by The Noof; 06-28-2022 at 08:49 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

I have no problems with my dual band USB WIFI adapter on my old laptop, just be sure that the adapter is rated for W7, (or has the drivers for it) some of the newer ones only work with W8 and above, some I've seen now only work with W10.

One other thing, does your router provide a 5 gig signal at that speed?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 5 Posts

The USB WiFi adapter is good for Windows 7, and the drivers come in a very small CD. That's what the listing says,
    The ISP router comes with 2.4 and 5GHz, (very good signal on both) and there is a wireless enhancer just 25ft away.

Why I am overly concerned is that my friend bought a similar USB WiFi adapter capable of switching between 2.4 and 5GHz, using a similar laptop to mine with a USB 2.0 port. The adapter is backward compatible and works also with 3.0
    He had a misfortune. His laptop crashed, and he is blaming this adapter for that. He told me he was using the 5GHz at the time of the crash, and is saying the laptop is 2.4GHz capable, not really 5GHz.

What are your thoughts? Could such a situation really happen?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,148x in 5,731 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

I doubt the wifi hardware could cause the crash, but the driver software could if there was a software conflict.It has nothing to do with 2.4/5.0 connectivity.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,291x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Most PC/Laptop crashes are do to conflict/incompatible software or driver issues, (wrong driver loaded, or wrong version software)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 5 Posts

In my friend's case the device came with the drivers on CD, so it may not be a question of incompatible software.
    But I am happy to hear that the hardware itself with 2.4/5GHz may not be the problem. We would have to look at downloading the latest drivers relevant to this device.

Your final thoughts

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,291x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

If you have the hardware all ready installed, open Device Manager find the device/hardware listed and click on
    update driver, let windows find a driver for it from the (INTERNET) Failing that then I would download a Copy
    of Iobit Driver Booster software which will do a search on your laptop/computer for the latest drivers for your computer etc.
    Try and get the drivers from the Manufactures website "FIRST" & Foremost for the Hardware in ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    In my friend's case the device came with the drivers on CD, so it may not be a question of incompatible software.
    But I am happy to hear that the hardware itself with 2.4/5GHz may not be the problem. We would have to look at downloading the latest drivers relevant to this device.

Your final thoughts
    Remember the old saying ""If it ain't broke don't try to make it better"" Windows may not support the device anymore as W7 is now obsolete, so downloading a so called new driver from micoslut may/could/might cause problems.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 5 Posts

Hello Friends:
    Thanks for all your inputs.

My friend's laptop is up and running again, fine. It was definitely a software problem, and nothing to do with the hardware - 2.4 or 5GHz. We found that the small CD that came with the device did not have the latest software, and even what was on the website itself was not the latest software, but that was downloaded and installed, and did not work well. And yes, Auggie, I used Iobit Driver Booster PRO 9.4, and that program updated the software to what is the latest. Iobit Driver Booster 9.4 PRO (subscription) saves the day in many respects.

I may also add that there are many programs from Iobit including Iobit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 15 PRO (subscription) and Iobit Software Updater (subscription) that I now use on my system. Iobit Advanced SystemCare Ultimate, paid edition, puts "life" back into Windows 7, including filling or plugging the "security holes". They make computing less stressful.

Terryl, I believe the expression is "what ain't broke, don't fix it". The other one is "don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you".

Bye, and thanks, all