Thanked 20,888x in 4,476 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from orchidgirlJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from orchidgirlCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from orchidgirlSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from orchidgirltreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from orchidgirl

Quote Originally Posted by ssj92 View Post
    I can't find my multimeter, need to keep looking. I could measure the voltage at 12v, 3.3v and 5v. Also can read capacitance.

I was just wondering if this sounds like a power supply issue.

To rebuild would it be better to replace all caps on 12v, 3.3v and 5v? Or is it normally just 5v and 3.3v that go bad?

If all I need to do is remove a bunch of capacitors and solder new ones, I can do that. I message the eBay seller to see what they want to do first but otherwise it seems better to just repair this power supply.
    Caps are by far the easiest component to replace.Be aware of the values & polarity.You can go higher with working voltage (if there's room on the board) but not capacitance.I have done a dozen or so now & never had a repeat failure.Use the guide Auggie referenced & you will be fine.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,669x in 1,132 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Quote Originally Posted by ssj92 View Post
    I can't find my multimeter, need to keep looking. I could measure the voltage at 12v, 3.3v and 5v. Also can read capacitance.

I was just wondering if this sounds like a power supply issue.

To rebuild would it be better to replace all caps on 12v, 3.3v and 5v? Or is it normally just 5v and 3.3v that go bad?

If all I need to do is remove a bunch of capacitors and solder new ones, I can do that. I message the eBay seller to see what they want to do first but otherwise it seems better to just repair this power supply.

If you plan on Repairing the PSB/capacitors etc. one other thing you probably should do as well is Add "COOLING MEASURES"
    Heat is a Killer to these FTA Boxes & the Cheap Components that are installed, I got myself a set of USB Powered "Fans"
    that sit on top of my boxes sucking/blowing air in/out keeping them Nice & Cool.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I got a bunch of heatsinks and fans from all my PCs so I will add those once I fix the power supply.

Just waiting on seller to see if they're willing to do partial refund or something and I'll buy a capacitor kit and get to work.

I'll keep everyone updated, thanks for the help all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12