Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRUE FTA How to use a old primestar dish for true fta

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 28x in 16 Posts

Default TRUE FTA How to use a old primestar dish for true fta

how to use a old primestar dish for true fta

Primestar DSS conversion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got it done, works so great, you can't miss any dbs bird.

I've included the step by step, some detals & photos for anyone who might wanna do this.

Took about 10 minutes to convert & required no fabrication, just what I had laying around.

1. Remove the grey lnb cover by loosening the two screws.

2. Unbolted the linear Ku lnb and set aside. (Save this, it can be used for lots of sats & you need it to check your new lnb alignment.)

3. Grab any old DTV or even an aftermarket circular lnb. You will notice a half circle groove where the old lnb was on the dish arm. Fit the DTV lnb in this groove. The groove is smaller than the shaft on the DTV LNB. Don't worry about it, it will line up when you secure it.

4. With the 2 DTV lnbs I tried I found that if you put the lnb in the groove & push it back until the cone just hits the mount then you will have positioned it for prime focus. Compare your lnb with the primestar one you pulled off to make sure the feedhorn is in the same position.

5. Rotate the lnb to the left or right so that the coax connectors clear the bottom of the LNB arm. If you don't do this you can't attach the cables!

6. Strap the lnb down. I used a big pipeclamp that I had laying around, it is very secure. You can secure the lnb with zip ties, duct tape, bungee cord, whatever just as long as it sits in the groove and doesn't move. DONT OVERTIGHTEN, YOU'LL BREAK THE LNB.

7. Throw your dish up on something & enjoy. When aiming for 61.5, 82, 91, 110, or 119 you could be deaf, dumb, & blind and easially hit them. Just remember when you mount the primestar it is a very heavy large dish & picks up the wind like a sail. SECURE IT WELL! As you can see from my pics I not only buried the pole in the ground, I used steel cable at 3 points like a radio/tv tower to make sure it doesnt blow over.

RESULTS: I did this in a hurry to get bev91 which I just couldn't lock in with a 18 or 20 inch dish. The 2 others I've done for friends on 20" dishes get peak quality in the mid 60's and signal in the low 70's. Just doing a 2 minute aim job with the primestar I'm in the mid 80's for S & Q. If I took another 10 minutes to aim better I'm sure 100+ would be no problem.

This dish has tons of potental. A guy could mount 5 or 6 lnb's on it with the factory lnb to get all sorts of birds. Mine was just a quickie/proof of concept deal. You could also use just about any big oval (DTV, DN, a big POS oval off an old gas station, ect) and get this to work. Most of the big ovals I've seen for POS use mount the Ku LNB almost exactly like the Primestar, so these instructions will work. The only important factor is getting the new LNB in the right spot for prime focus.
    c&p

casper Guest

Thanks, I been looking for this kind of info.

catdaddy357 Guest

Default primestar dish question

can u use that primestar lnb and dish for true fta, ku band ?

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddy357 View Post
    can u use that primestar lnb and dish for true fta, ku band ?

2. Unbolted the linear Ku lnb and set aside. (Save this, it can be used for lots of sats & you need it to check your new lnb alignment.)
    Simply put...Yes~

BPG~

df11 Guest

Say BPG, any chance we could get a look at those pic.s that were mentioned? I know p/s used a couple of different dishes and lnb,s, be nice to compare to mine. Thanks.

catdaddy357 Guest

Default thanks

thanks guys im gunna try to catch me sum sports feeds

hockey111 Guest

were do you find the codes you need for true free to air

mor632 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hockey111 View Post
    were do you find the codes you need for true free to air
    True free to air is not encripted therefore no special codes/bin needed. the factory file will work fine and so should whatever file thats in your receiver now

gordonkearse Guest

The oval primestar is the most useful dish. That's because the lnb is easily retrofitted to the newer 40mm fta lnb. The eliptical dish has a smaller lnb which makes it more difficult to change out.

Also, the oval comes in 1 and 1.2 meter dishes. It has three arms on the front of the dish, as opposed to one arm on the eliptical dish, which makes it a more stable platform in bad weather.

I lost an eliptical dish in a tornado last year. The oval dish would likely have survived it. The dishes are tough, tough, tough. These little thin steel dishes aren't designed to withstand such stuff.

But I tried putting an h-h motor on a 1.2 meter dish and it was too heavy to the motor to power it. So don't waste your time.

Presently, I'm running 5 primestar ovals and have given away 3. I keep an extra as a spare because they're free.

Go fta!!!

rolguin Guest

Default What do I do with this?

I have a dish 500 dish and a a view sat 2000 extreme box and i want to know if that equipment could work for true fta. Also i need more help on how to set it up.

python_one Guest

Default Pictures

I also would like to some pictures of this setup. Are the still on the site somewhere. Thanks in advance....

secheltpaul Guest

Rolguin
    Your receiver will work for true fta . you MUST use a linear L N B F for true fta. Personally I prefer standard linear L N B F .

Quote Originally Posted by rolguin View Post
    I have a dish 500 dish and a a view sat 2000 extreme box and i want to know if that equipment could work for true fta. Also i need more help on how to set it up.

catdaddy357 Guest

Default old primestar dish

i set up an old primestar dish on a homemade tripod using the universal lnbf that was on it and my viewsat ultra and was picking up all kinds of sat with good quality and great signal. it worked great for me!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275x in 581 Posts
    Items Vintage truck
Gift received at 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM from hope32Crown Royal
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 10:31 PM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM from clarkBENT

Quote Originally Posted by bluepenguin View Post
    how to use a old primestar dish for true fta

Primestar DSS conversion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got it done, works so great, you can't miss any dbs bird.

I've included the step by step, some detals & photos for anyone who might wanna do this.

Took about 10 minutes to convert & required no fabrication, just what I had laying around.

1. Remove the grey lnb cover by loosening the two screws.

3. Grab any old DTV or even an aftermarket circular lnb. You will notice a half circle groove where the old lnb was on the dish arm. Fit the DTV lnb in this groove. The groove is smaller than the shaft on the DTV LNB. Don't worry about it, it will line up when you secure it.

4. With the 2 DTV lnbs I tried I found that if you put the lnb in the groove & push it back until the cone just hits the mount then you will have positioned it for prime focus. Compare your lnb with the primestar one you pulled off to make sure the feedhorn is in the same position.

5. Rotate the lnb to the left or right so that the coax connectors clear the bottom of the LNB arm. If you don't do this you can't attach the cables!

6. Strap the lnb down. I used a big pipeclamp that I had laying around, it is very secure. You can secure the lnb with zip ties, duct tape, bungee cord, whatever just as long as it sits in the groove and doesn't move. DONT OVERTIGHTEN, YOU'LL BREAK THE LNB.

7. Throw your dish up on something & enjoy. When aiming for 61.5, 82, 91, 110, or 119 you could be deaf, dumb, & blind and easially hit them. Just remember when you mount the primestar it is a very heavy large dish & picks up the wind like a sail. SECURE IT WELL! As you can see from my pics I not only buried the pole in the ground, I used steel cable at 3 points like a radio/tv tower to make sure it doesnt blow over.

RESULTS: I did this in a hurry to get bev91 which I just couldn't lock in with a 18 or 20 inch dish. The 2 others I've done for friends on 20" dishes get peak quality in the mid 60's and signal in the low 70's. Just doing a 2 minute aim job with the primestar I'm in the mid 80's for S & Q. If I took another 10 minutes to aim better I'm sure 100+ would be no problem.

This dish has tons of potental. A guy could mount 5 or 6 lnb's on it with the factory lnb to get all sorts of birds. Mine was just a quickie/proof of concept deal. You could also use just about any big oval (DTV, DN, a big POS oval off an old gas station, ect) and get this to work. Most of the big ovals I've seen for POS use mount the Ku LNB almost exactly like the Primestar, so these instructions will work. The only important factor is getting the new LNB in the right spot for prime focus.
    c&p
    Where are the photos????????????????
    There is no way to Peace, Peace is the way. Author: A.J. Muste
    There are no stupid questions, only stupids that don't ask....

dishuser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPirate View Post
    Where are the photos????????????????
    he's into iks not fta
    only photos would be someone else's
    the true defender of nfusion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast