Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRUE FTA How to use a old primestar dish for true fta

peterbuilt Guest

Default dishes

great idea i knew i keep that junk for a reasongood post

foebage Guest

I have 2 Channelmaster oval dishes . They are wonderful and the LNB that comes with it works well and is made to last forever. I added a second LNB to one of them and get 63w and 72W with good quality here NW PA. The other one is marked with other sats and i change manually ( right outside my window ) . It's easy to set up a 2 degree separation for the FTA BIRDS, ie. 95w/97w , 101w/103w , etc. The 63w/72w set up took some tweaking. People even make Mini-bud dishes for C-band. I have been unable to get c-band on mine . I do lack the conical scalar that most primestar c-band junkies are using. Point is, they are great dishes and if you see one stop and grab it.

Running 2 Primestar Channelmaster Dishes with factory H/V LNBF and Spitfire.3DB LNB and 2 18" Winegard Dishes (110w/119w) w/ Single Circular LNB FTA Setup. Ku Linear / Circular setup. Pulling 63w,72w,95w,101w,110w,110/119w !!!! FREE TO AIR TV ROCKS ! Testing X-1 Standard Definition. [ Super Dish-Pro ] Plotting a C-Band instal

Deprogram Guest

I have a Primestar dish and have been using it for true FTA on 97 for quite some time using the Primestar LNB. If you happen to get one of those Primestar LNBs with a seperate V and H output, don't panic, there is a hack where you can use it with a multi dish DBS switch to switch between two feeds. (Don't remember what the switch is called off the top of my head but they used to have it at radio shack so it is common.)

The title of this thread is a bit misleading. Just so we're clear, the instructions are how to replace the Vertical/Horizontal, linear LNB with a circular one to use it with DBS services such as D*sh. True fta requires no special bin and you may be better off with the factory bin. Yes those dishes are great and it is recommended to snatch it up for free if possible... but some of us dont have room for five. :-)

slugworth Guest

primestar into a dtv type 3x4 or 3x8 switch,V to 13v H to 18v

tbird460nepa Guest

primestar dishes can also be used for stronger c-band sat's and transponders with a bit of tinkering and patience and the proper lnbf.

slick517d Guest

I motorized my primestar dish and use a 3x4 switch. With my manhatten I am able to view true fta sats 125, 123 105 103 101 99 97 95 93 91 89 87 85 83 and 72. I could tune in the satmex sats but i do not speak spanish. There is a couple other sats i can not tune in until i can get an active tp. Over all I am happy with the primestar and it's original lnb. Some feeds are hard to pull in from time to time that others are able to get but they have a 6 foot or larger dish.
    Last edited by slick517d; 02-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Deprogram Guest

The Primestar dish that I have been using for years is mounted to my railing on my balcony and I know that we are not really supposed to do that. What do you guys mound these Primestar dishes too isasmuch as just keeping them upright?

slick517d Guest

My Primestar (39"x29") is mounted on it's original 2 3/8" OD pole installed by Primestar years ago. I would think if you have it mounted and working for years; why mess with it?

Biffbr549 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rolguin View Post
    I have a dish 500 dish and a a view sat 2000 extreme box and i want to know if that equipment could work for true fta. Also i need more help on how to set it up.
    Can i use my cnx nano for this? i need a dave "eye" or 2 of them? on the wide dish correct? i get SIGNALS from many sat's of up to 95% but there is no color to the guage or quality signal what-so-ever?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12