Thread: subzero won't come back from vacation

willie Guest

Default subzero won't come back from vacation

I have a small sub zero refrigerator -- model 249RP serial number M987010

The unit was in storage for approximately 6 months (worked fine before putting in storage) it did not work when I attempted to use it. The Interior light comes on but the compressor does not start -- no cooling. I was wondering if there is a fuse or something simple I could check to try and get it going again.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

Willie

wildman25 Guest

If the freezer was stored on its side or transported as such- it could be that the compressor oil has drained into the rest of the system. That's why most suggest letting anything with a compressor sitting after its moved without plugging it in.

But it could be as easy as checking the compressor wires. Most don't have a fastening clip and can be pulled out by a rodent or small animal crawling through. Most plug into the bottom of the compressor and are easy to find.

willie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wildman25 View Post
    If the freezer was stored on its side or transported as such- it could be that the compressor oil has drained into the rest of the system. That's why most suggest letting anything with a compressor sitting after its moved without plugging it in.

But it could be as easy as checking the compressor wires. Most don't have a fastening clip and can be pulled out by a rodent or small animal crawling through. Most plug into the bottom of the compressor and are easy to find.
    Checked everything and all wires are connected - I also took off the light plate and everything looked ok. Interior light comes on but the fan & compressor do come on.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Our resident appliance repairman (Loginfreak) is moving into new digs, so it may be a bit before he gets on line to review this.

How old was the fridge before you put it in storage?
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

aquadave Guest

It's prob your thermostat. try turning it up and down several times

MeSat_FTA Guest

Some manuals also state to leave it sitting for at least 24 hours for oils and things to settle.

oldskool Guest

Check the relay into the compressor . Usually try tapping that area where the wires go into the compressor, sometimes it starts up.

kylo Guest

If it is self defrosting check to see if the defrost timer is not in defrost

hutch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    Check the relay into the compressor . Usually try tapping that area where the wires go into the compressor, sometimes it starts up.
    This was what worked for my Sears fridge when it quit & I didn't even move it. That being said if it doesn't cool once the compressor kicks in you could have a leak in the line from moving it. This has happened to me before also.