Thread: Help Needed

whiteheather Guest

Default Help Needed

[I]This is for boating mechanics
    i was out on my boat last few days 26' cabin cruiser,(inboard outboard engine) and whilst up on plane and driving at 3500 rpm, the boat suddenly lost power, i checked fuel .it was ok, when i restarted the engine, the boat engine would run ok at 2200 rpm, however when i tried to increase the speed, the engine would slow down losing power...could this be electrical [/?? i.e points etc coil ?? fuel pump ???
    any ideas I would be grateful......another dilema... when i go in forward position the leg stays down ok...but when i go in reverse position, the leg jumps up. wont lock down ......thanks in advance

Whiteheather........]

oak Guest

What year boat? What engine? Carburated or EFI? Mechanical or electric fuel pump?

whiteheather Guest

Default year

Hi Oak
    tank you for replying i think it is mid 80's 305 engine with volvo 270 leg....i have taken carb older 4 barrel off as i feel it req's cleaning, also putting in an in-line fuel filter and water separator also for fuel...as to the trim problem, on closer examination. the cleats that hold the leg are pretty worn....... mechanical fuel pump.....
    thanks again, any further idea's would be appreciated

Charlie

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,000x in 1,596 Posts
    Items Some beer
Gift received at 07-14-2013, 03:14 AM from nobody

Have one on me ........A Beer
Gift received at 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM from clarkBENTDevil

Quote Originally Posted by whiteheather View Post
    Hi Oak
    tank you for replying i think it is mid 80's 305 engine with volvo 270 leg....i have taken carb older 4 barrel off as i feel it req's cleaning, also putting in an in-line fuel filter and water separator also for fuel...as to the trim problem, on closer examination. the cleats that hold the leg are pretty worn....... mechanical fuel pump.....
    thanks again, any further idea's would be appreciated

Charlie
    Charlie if it was timing it would run badly at all rpm.. Did you check the plugs color if its light brown or white it means its running lean.. If so check the needles and jets in the carbs there probably gummed up.. Do you use gas stabilizer on a full tank when you store it for the winter?

whiteheather Guest

Default carb

Quote Originally Posted by JCO View Post
    Charlie if it was timing it would run badly at all rpm.. Did you check the plugs color if its light brown or white it means its running lean.. If so check the needles and jets in the carbs there probably gummed up.. Do you use gas stabilizer on a full tank when you store it for the winter?
    Hi Bud

I feel it is the carb, have taken it off and will get my mechanic to clean out, see what he finds......it feels like when you increase the speed, a piece of crap is getting into a jet....thanks for help. bugger it come on over and fix it .... charlie

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Some beer

Gummed up carbs are a pain to clean, gasoline becomes like a laquer in the jets , needles and is very diffficult to remove.. I'm not shure but acetone may do the trick...If it bogs under acceleration its fuel starvation and could be a clogged jet...
    Pay the fight and bring me Halibut fishing and i'll sort out the problem...LOL

whiteheather Guest

Default problem solved ?

Quote Originally Posted by oak View Post
    What year boat? What engine? Carburated or EFI? Mechanical or electric fuel pump?
    Carb looks good, just going to get it cleaned, however when i took off the mechanical pump, it was found to have an hair line crack, causing air to enter system......but will still clean all fuel lines etc...................thanks folks for your help................and JCO

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Some beer

Carb looks good, just going to get it cleaned, however when i took off the mechanical pump, it was found to have an hair line crack, causing air to enter system......but will still clean all fuel lines etc...................thanks folks for your help................and JCO
    That would majke the engine run lean, ping and it would eventually blow...

oak Guest

That would sure do it.

As to cleaning the carb, I would recommend it be dunked in actual carb cleaner overnight. While some other types of cleaners 'sometimes' may work, a vat is better. I've rebuilt many outboard carbs, but never a four stroke carb. Sometimes on overnight dunking doesn't quite get all the gunk and they need a second bath.