Thread: fridge won't stop running

nashnoush Guest

Unhappy fridge won't stop running

GE fridge model TCS18PADBLBS bottom freezer. Problem is, food are getting frozen in the fridge and it seems never stop running. I did clean the grill and the coil from dust.fan is working fine. I am able to get to the temp control and the freezer frost control and when i turn the freezer control with screw driver, the fridge stops for about 20 minutes then kicks in again, despite that the fridge is still very cold . I turn the control all the way to off, but fridge keeps running. any idea what cause it. I can buy new controls but they cost about $170 and I hate buy them to find out if that wasn't the problem. thank you for any help

runamok Guest

You may want to check the temperature probe location or replace the probe.

love2hack Guest

Replace your thermostat, check probe location for proper activation.

timster Guest

if you're fridge won't stop running, you should probably go catch it and lock it up

Mr Hanky Guest

When you turned the defrost timer and it timed out 20 minutes you proved that is not the problem.A temperature control is only about 20 to 35 dollars for a residential refrigerator.You can use a universal.LOL

Pollypurabred Guest

It may also be your defrost timer, assuming that it is self defrost, which is generally located underneath (grill area) and looks like a small circular device (2-3"- 2/3 wires attached). If the defrost cycle doesn't work, the freezer section will ice up and the refrig. area will be ignored.
    Cost about $20 bucks and comes in two different timing sequences; 8 and/or twelve. Either one will work.

Mr Hanky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pollypurabred View Post
    It may also be your defrost timer, assuming that it is self defrost, which is generally located underneath (grill area) and looks like a small circular device (2-3"- 2/3 wires attached). If the defrost cycle doesn't work, the freezer section will ice up and the refrig. area will be ignored.
    Cost about $20 bucks and comes in two different timing sequences; 8 and/or twelve. Either one will work.
    He has proven his defrost timer is working,when he turned it to defrost it comes out of defrost in 20 mins,so that being said he has a 20min 3 times a day.

knob Guest

Those GE bottom mounts had some trouble with the evapourator and fan and drain tube being sandwiched between the fridge and freezer....your evap fan is probably frozen in place and can't push any air so the t.stat in the fridge can't get cold enough so the compressor runs all the time....Note, just because the defrost timer is working doesn't mean the defrost t.stat or element are ok......is the food at the top of the fridge not very cool but still freezing stuff in the crispers? It was a common problem, try unplugging for 24 hrs with doors open (and towels on the floor to soak up any water).........if you turn the control in the fridge to off and it doesn't turn off then the problem is with the control( it should be the kind with a temperature sensor attached)