Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: magic jack

billhiggs Guest

yes I wouldnt want to us it in place of a landline or cell phone but it does make a good 2nd line, and a way to avoid long distance

a couple of drawback is 911 and if your power or internet is out so is your phone service

something to think about in an emergency

gone Guest

Everyone I know personally that uses MJ swears by 'em. This includes users from the Middle East, UK and Caribbean. However, one recent call from a Caribbean user to one of my landlines sound like poop. The NPA showed up as a "347" # (which is usually a NY cellphone a/c), and caller was using MJ, but it sounded like poop.
    Last edited by Terryl; 10-25-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Language

sameold Guest

i have used majic jack for almost a year and i am thinking of renewal for 5 years . never had a problem with it. i have recommend it to all my friends and all of them are very happy. is my my way to say thanks to Bell Canada for screwing me up for almost 10 years of crappy service for 45.00 a month. i wish one day they go bankrupt.(BELL)

virgilio Guest

Default magicjak

i had magicjack for 3 years alredy, i buy for 5 years, like a partner say after 5 minutes talking from the caribeen to us, canada, a noise start make interference, but i umplug and conected in other usb, but save a lot money making call from out the us.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by billhiggs View Post
    yes I wouldnt want to us it in place of a landline or cell phone but it does make a good 2nd line, and a way to avoid long distance

a couple of drawback is 911 and if your power or internet is out so is your phone service

something to think about in an emergency
    Get a UPS system, a big one can keep you up for a long time.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Kernel Klank Guest

I've been using a MJ for almost a year and love it. To sum it up, this is what I've found makes a MagicJack worthwhile:
    - You can call up Bell (or whatever your local phone company's name is) and tell them to stuff their overpriced phone service.
    - It comes with voice mail, so even if your computer is off or your not home, it's no problem, the service will take a message and send it to your email inbox where you can listen to it on your computer.
    - You will save a bundle in long distance charges with this little device.
    - You can use it to augment your cell phone for local calls, depending on your plan, if you're calling outside your free minutes time slot, so you can save money there as well.
    - One major advantage for me is travel. I travel alot and take it with me and just plug a small phone into my laptop and call family wherever i am. You can't do that with your local landline plan. If you can catch a highspeed wireless signal either at your motel, truck stop, coffee shop, wherever... you can call for free.

I sprung for an additional 5 years worth of service up front when i bought it as well as an extra $10 for a Canadian phone number. All in, it was under $100 and has paid for itself several times over in less than a year. Friends who were already using it swore by it, so I gambled on it right away.
    This is one of the better inventions of recent years, IMHO. I really reccomend it, if you have decent highspeed internet. I have "dry Link DSL", ("dry link", because i canceled my phone service.) Not sure of the speed really, but it's at the lower end of the price spectrum, so nothing special, and MJ works great.

Ma Bell, you can xxxxxxxxx!
    Last edited by StanW; 10-25-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: language

drparty333 Guest

i had my my for 1 1/2 years and i think it's great,its a little buggy but fro the most time it works good and the price is awsome...

edmonton Guest

Thumbs down sad

mine had a lot of echo issues, stopped using it.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

I've had one for a few months now to lower my phone bills but after several chat sessions with MJ for some reason I can't use my phone keypad to make calls. I have to use the onscreen display...I have tried 4 different phones and can't use the phone keypad to make calls. MJ couldn't figure it out, any ideas? I have 3 mg local cable modem.
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

gone Guest

Is MJ usage still dependent upon an always on PC? And does heavy disk or cpu activity muck up connections and/or call quality?

Also, can/does QOS settings on routers increase call fidelity?

billhiggs Guest

Hey Bluesman, did you run the upgrade.exe file??? or are you using IE9 by chance?

I found the mj didnt like IE9, not sure if they have resolved that or not

as for heavy cpu etc, I realy didnt find that but I did find that heavy downloading of a torrent file, or from a site like hotfile, did cause lag on the MJ

dishuser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
    I've had one for a few months now to lower my phone bills but after several chat sessions with MJ for some reason I can't use my phone keypad to make calls. I have to use the onscreen display...I have tried 4 different phones and can't use the phone keypad to make calls. MJ couldn't figure it out, any ideas? I have 3 mg local cable modem.
    isn't that in settings?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billhiggs View Post
    Hey Bluesman, did you run the upgrade.exe file??? or are you using IE9 by chance?

I found the mj didnt like IE9, not sure if they have resolved that or not

as for heavy cpu etc, I realy didnt find that but I did find that heavy downloading of a torrent file, or from a site like hotfile, did cause lag on the MJ
    Running IE 7 here and yes I did 3 different upgrades including the .exe file still no use of the keypad on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dishuser View Post
    isn't that in settings?
    I'll have to look but I think I've tried everything...
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

glenn56 Guest

Default it happens too

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
    was using cordless just what you said was true then bought a cheap wired phone and it works great.. please try...

billhiggs Guest

thats odd it works fine with my cheezy 15 dollar vtech cordless

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast