Thread: microwave does not heat

kaysar Guest

Default microwave does not heat

I am trying to help a friend repair his microwave. The control panel works fine and the microwave turns on and spins. The problem is it will not heat. It is built in to the kitchen wall and he built the opening to fit the microwave.

The microwave info:

Make: Daewoo
    Model: KOR-861H-BLK
    Serial: DJ06900175

The Cobra Guest

Couple things you may want to check---make sure power level is up to the max via your circuit board display. Most micros -you can adjust power level. Second try a reset---unplug it for a few mins and plug it in, mine has done the same a couple times and that`s how I "fix" it. If that doesn`t work, it may be THAT time for the bulb. Most people don`t bother fixing micros as they often are cheaper to buy than fix. I understand about the hole in the wall but if he made a hole he surely can adjust the hole---he may not have an option. Good luck

rickw Guest

I used to repair microwave ovens when I had my electronics business..Usually when you are getting a "no heat" symptom, it is a good bet that the magnetron is dead.. Was it getting noisy (growling sound) before it stopped heating? If so, it is the magnetron for sure. You might want to take a look at the door-interlock safety switches as well.It would, however be less expensive to buy a new one that will fit the existing opening...
    Last edited by rickw; 09-23-2010 at 05:40 PM.

kaysar Guest

Thanks for the input. The microwave still runs very quiet. No extra noise or growling coming from it at all. I agree that the answer should be replacing it but it mounts with a special trim kit and the cupboards were designed around that size. I told him when he started this project 2 years ago that this would some day be an issue, but he thought it would be someone elses issue as he was expecting to have sold and moved on before it crapped out. He was wrong!

rickw Guest

Did he take ventilation into consideration when installing this unit?? Two years is a very short time for it to quit heating...Poor ventilation will spell doom for the magnetron..Most likely it is the mag...Wholesale cost from a reputable electronic parts supply dealer should be $25 to $35...A word of CAUTION---Always make sure to discharge the big metal capacitor (usually mounted to the inside of the cabinet) and make note of which side of the mag has the double wire before removal...This cap stores a very high voltage that can be fatal if not properly discharged first..A screwdriver with an insulated handle from the capacitor casing to the capacitor pins will usually do the trick...
    Last edited by rickw; 09-24-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Safety Warning

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

A word of caution:

Be very VERY careful working on or around the Magnetron, it has very high voltage on it that will KILL, I can’t stress that enough, make absolutely sure the unit is unplugged from the AC outlet and all high voltage caps have been shorted to ground using a properly insulated screw driver or discharge device meant for that purpose and if you haven’t worked around high voltage (over 480 volts AC) take it in and have it repaired.

Most of these things are meant to be serviced by properly trained service techs.

We don’t want to hear about any accidents….Please be careful around high voltage.

I had a good friend die because of a high voltage cap that wasn’t discharged all the way, and he knew what he was doing, he was in a rush.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Rickw, you beat me by 5 min, thanks for the additional safty warning.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

rickw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    Rickw, you beat me by 5 min, thanks for the additional safty warning.
    No problem Terryl..Glad to be of some help...

kaysar Guest

Thanks for the advice and warning Terryl and Rickw. I am familiar with power and CAPS. Ventalation is not an issue as it has a top vent kit on it and is designed to vent out the trim kit. I think the problem is more the fact it is a DAEWOO. Junk from the start. I have sourced out a similar one ment for a RV that should work with little mods. Thanks again.

citroens Guest

Terryl,
    thanks for relaying the WARNING as always SAFETY regulations exercise CAUTION followed before and after the fix.
    Doesn't matter what brand of microwave it is in principal they all work exactly the same with the exception of some Panasonic as this latter are lighter as they use Inverters for their power supplies instead of the big transformer usually found in the majority of the Microwave ovens.
    Depending on how old this Microwave is, if it was cooking good just before the problem, maybe there is another circuit like the capacitor with a Diode that feeds the charged up Negative voltage to the Magnetron this will also cause no heat, other than that unless you are an authorized personal I would not even take the back cover off as even if the Microwave oven is unplugged it could have stored the energy in the capacitors this poses at risk for what its worth don't mess with Microwave ovens.
    By the way not all Microwaves are cheaply replaceable as there are some matched to the kitchen units and the customers of these only want a matched units and they cost several thousand $'s, in their case best to repair as the costs will be 1/2 of a new.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    A word of caution:

Be very VERY careful working on or around the Magnetron, it has very high voltage on it that will KILL, I can’t stress that enough, make absolutely sure the unit is unplugged from the AC outlet and all high voltage caps have been shorted to ground using a properly insulated screw driver or discharge device meant for that purpose and if you haven’t worked around high voltage (over 480 volts AC) take it in and have it repaired.

Most of these things are meant to be serviced by properly trained service techs.

We don’t want to hear about any accidents….Please be careful around high voltage.

I had a good friend die because of a high voltage cap that wasn’t discharged all the way, and he knew what he was doing, he was in a rush.