Thread: 'Hockey Night in Canada' to air Hab-Leaf game in 3D!

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Default 'Hockey Night in Canada' to air Hab-Leaf game in 3D!

c/p from yahoo.
    1 hour, 19 minutes ago

By Michael Oliveira, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - "Hockey Night in Canada" is going 3D with at least two special broadcasts this winter and the head of CBC Sports thinks it's just the start of a lot more to come.

But if you ask how many people he expects will watch the 3D broadcasts, or how many people have the technology to tune in, he admits he has no idea.

"At this point, we don't even know how many 3D TVs are out there. I don't think anyone has a true grip on it, it's very similar to the beginning of high definition; no one could really tell," said Scott Moore, executive director of CBC Sports.

"If I gave you an estimate I'd probably be way off. I'm not being evasive, I honestly don't know."

BBM Canada, the non-profit organization that tracks TV ratings, said it doesn't have any data on 3D viewership yet.

"The system would be able to do it if the TV industry decided they wanted it, but as far as I know, no one has talked about it yet," said Tom Jenks, director of communications for BBM.

But despite the uncertainty, CBC wants to be a leader in the technology, Moore said. The broadcaster teamed up with Panasonic Canada to go to air with 3D broadcasts of a Dec. 11 game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Heritage Classic on Feb. 20, 2011, an outdoor game at Calgary's McMahon Stadium.

Panasonic is helping CBC with some of the expertise and production equipment for the 3D broadcasts and becomes an official sponsor of "Hockey Night in Canada." The partnership helps CBC get more 3D content for its eager early-adopter viewers, and should give a boost to the 3D TV industry, which still doesn't have a lot of content to help sell units, Moore said.

"The scheduling of our games is not accidental, the first game being before Christmas and the second game after," Moore said.

"You can't create demand without content and without content there will be no demand.... Sports is compelling 3D content, we saw that during the World Cup, and I think (3D hockey) will create demand. You can't sell TV sets unless there's something to put on it."

CBC is currently working with the various cable and satellite providers to have the 3D signal available on a special digital channel in time for the two games. For those without the special 3D TV and glasses, talks are also underway to screen the games at movie theatres.

While it's still early days for the technology, Moore expects 3D viewing will take off faster than high definition did.

"It will take some time for full adoption — I'm not sure whether it will be fully adopted in a year, two years, five years — but I'm pretty sure it will become more prevalent quicker than HD," he said.
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

The Cobra Guest

The Leafs in 3D???----hell, they are so bad I won`t even collect their 3D hockey cards.

mikey Guest

that would be cool to see in 3D ..

Toooo bad I can't afford a new 3D t.v.
    Oh well got to by my lotto max ticket now. lol

adam12399 Guest

Has anyone ever watched any hockey on a 3d tv? How was it?

Grandpa Guest

I have a 3d tv and have watched all the hockey games shown in 3d and its AWESOME ! Seems as though your at the game and the banner adds are in the middle of your living room . Truly Amazing , real happy I got it .