Thread: Lightning protection.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Default Lightning protection.

I can’t stress the importance of using some sort of lightning protection on your satellite system. (and other systems)

Last night we had a rolling thunder and lightning storm come through the area, and as luck goes I took a hit. (or more)

What saved my entertainment system and satellite system was my radio tower, it was designed to take the brunt of any hit, but there was stray fingers that activated my lightning suppression on my satellite internet and satellite TV systems, I had to replace the LNB’s on the TV system and the TX/RX on the internet system (good thing I had spares) but it didn’t get into my entertainment system nor my computers.

The entertainment system and computers were protected by the UPS system that saved the system on the AC power side, and the coax lightning suppression on the satellite side.

Just grounding the coax will not stop the lightning from coming in via the center conductor and doing the damage, also most cheap AC surge protectors may not stop the lightning from coming in via the power line.

The big question is how much do you want to spend on saving all your entertainment components and satellite receivers?

You may have spent thousands on your TV and audio equipment but $10 to $20 on the surge suppressors, bad idea.

The best protection may not stop it all but some of the good ones have insurance to help with the recovery of your equipment, I use UPS systems that have an attached equipment insurance policy, also some AC surge protectors carry the same type of insurance, they may cost more but how much would it cost to replace your TV set as most home owners insurance policies wont due to deductibles.

I highly recommend a good UPS system or a good AC surge suppressor setup to protect your equipment or you may be going over to friends to watch TV.

Here are a few links to good UPS and surge suppression equipment, the choice is up to you on what to get.

Code:
    http://www.protectiongroup.com/Surge/RF-Lightning-Protection/Type/75-Ohm/Satellite-System-Protector
    Code:
    http://www.satellitedish.com/cata0254.htm
    Code:
    http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13&segmentID=1
    Code:
    http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/ups-battery-backup-systems.cfm
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,256x in 7,929 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

Glad to hear your ok on your end Terry. I have surge protector power bars at all my computer and or tv areas of my house.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

I hope they are good ones as several of mine are toast; they were before the UPS systems.

Radio equipment was isolated and switched to ground, lets say it woke me up when it hit, I came about 2 feet off the bed, I thought the propane tank exploded.

Surprisingly the UPS systems are still working, TV set, receivers and computers are all OK.

Funny thing is we never get lightning up here like that, it was cloud to cloud and was a very nice show, went to bed thinking it was all over.

I would go with a good UPS system on the computers if I were you.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?