C/P
By;8CN

After establishing himself in "America's Finest City", San Diego, CA, nearly three years ago from his hometown of Mandaue City, Cebu, PI, unbeaten WBO Youth lightweight champion Mercito "No Mercy" Gesta (19-0-1, 9KOs) has made himself feel right at home in the seaside city. Within the large Filipino population, the 22-year-old Gesta has found a built-in audience for his quick as lighting southpaw style which is ready to support him on October 22nd when he takes on his stiffest test to date, KO artist Ivan "Relampago" Valle (28-9-3, 24KO) at the Four Points Sheraton in Kearny Mesa, a suburb of San Diego. The eight round main event will be televised on Telefutura's "Solo Boxeo Tecate". Recently, Gesta was honored as one of the special guest at this year's Fi-Am Festival which celebates Filipino heritage and their contribution to the San Diego community.

"I like San Diego a lot, the weather and everything. The Filipinos really have started to support me here," Gesta stated while he signed autographs and mingled with the festival attendees. "The Filipino community really has welcomed me with open arms and have begun to follow my career. I am working hard to make them proud."

Vince Parra, Gesta's co-manager and trainer, has worked diligently in introducing the young fighter to the local people that share his native tongue.

"It took a little bit of time to have the San Diego Filipino community embrace Mercito but now that they have gotten to know him, he feels right at home," He said. "With each of his local fights, we've seen his fanbase grow and this next one is no exception. We are near a sellout"

As far as his next opponent, Gesta knows that Valle represents a fighter with much more experience than he as the man from Los Mochis, Mex, has faced the tougher opposition such has Humberto "Zorrita" Soto and Urbano Antillon among others. Despite the disadvantage in experience, "No Mercy" feels that he has the tools to have his hand raised in his next bout.

"I think my speed is the advantage that I have," Gesta stated. "We are looking to test his power then see how he moves. We are going to test him in the first round. He is tough but if the knock out comes, we are going to go for it."