Thread: Time to winterize your dish

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Default Time to winterize your dish

OK kids winter is just around the corner, its time to check that hardware.

Check all bolts and mounting hardware, if it’s been hot in your area then the metal has expanded with the heat and may get loose when it gets cold.

Check all outdoor connections for rust, corrosion or other things like cracked coax insulation.

Check your ground connections for rust or corrosion, if found then clean and use a No-loc compound for the electrical connections, do use this on the coax connections, there is special dielectric grease for this.

Check where the coax enters the house, use some duct seal to keep the water out.

One good way to keep the snow off the dish is to use a black heavy duty leaf bag over it and a drop light with a 25 watt bulb in it, keep the drop light out of the way of the LNB and use duct tape to seal it up, a thermostat can be used to turn it on and off when its not that cold, the thermostat can be found where they sell pipe heating tape.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

swanone Guest

sounds easier to just move south .

dasher108 Guest

doing a few simple little checks is not easier then finding a new job, then selling your house, then buying a new house in the south and then moving everything you own, new school for kids. Not to mention the legalities of trying to even live in a new country....?

dishuser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dasher108 View Post
    doing a few simple little checks is not easier then finding a new job, then selling your house, then buying a new house in the south and then moving everything you own, new school for kids. Not to mention the legalities of trying to even live in a new country....?
    do you need a link to download a sense of humour?

risk Guest

hXXp://www.ineedmotivation.com/hypnosenseofhumor.htm

only for $24.99 + Free Shipping

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,257x in 7,929 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    OK kids winter is just around the corner, its time to check that hardware.

Check all bolts and mounting hardware, if it’s been hot in your area then the metal has expanded with the heat and may get loose when it gets cold.

Check all outdoor connections for rust, corrosion or other things like cracked coax insulation.

Check your ground connections for rust or corrosion, if found then clean and use a No-loc compound for the electrical connections, do use this on the coax connections, there is special dielectric grease for this.

Check where the coax enters the house, use some duct seal to keep the water out.

One good way to keep the snow off the dish is to use a black heavy duty leaf bag over it and a drop light with a 25 watt bulb in it, keep the drop light out of the way of the LNB and use duct tape to seal it up, a thermostat can be used to turn it on and off when its not that cold, the thermostat can be found where they sell pipe heating tape.
    Thanks for the info Terry, I also greased up my actuator arms on my big boys as well.

Bowhunters Guest

For small dishes there is a spray on compound called (Dome Magic) that i've seen but I haven't used that supposedly makes rain water and even wet snow bead up and run off the dish face so that it doesn't freeze onto the dish surface as a sheet of ice that can make the signal fade.

Safe for plastic so it can be used on plastic sat dishes and LNB's and it's also used on weather radar domes on boats, etc. to make the rain bead and run off.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I'm not that a big a fan of spraying stuff on the dish, we tried all sorts of stuff on the big uplink dishes, some of the stuff only collected dirt and dust and caused signal problems, heated covers worked but were costly, then they came out with heated dishes, if you have snow accumulation problems and dont want to go up on the roof to clean and spray your dish every couple of weeks there are sites that sell heated dishes and heated LNB's.

But most think its the rain on the dish that causes the fadeouts, most of ther time it's not, it's the tons of water between the dish and the satellite that is the big problem, the signal coming down from the satellite is so weak that a flock of birds can cause a fadeout, the signal level is down around about -140 dBM to -180 dBM thats not very much, its like looking at a candle 100 miles away, put a big cloud full of rain in front and you can't see the candle, the same happens with a 12 GHz RF signal.

The only fix we found for signal fade was a bigger dish, but that can be impracticable in some areas.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Terryl For This Useful Post:

helsan Guest

Anyone has a picture of this?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Photo of what?
    A dish with a bag on it?
    Or the thermostat?

"Can you HIDE it"?

showhorse Guest

Thumbs up hehehaah

Quote Originally Posted by dasher108 View Post
    ......Sounds like it would be cheaper for you to hire one of the local kids to stay up and just sweep the snow of as it hits heheheehah

D-troit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post

Good advice Terryl these connections will break down over a matter of time with the constant expanding and shrinking expecially if your not using solid copper centers in your rg6. Had an intermittent problem one time and checked and checked for the problem didnt know if the coax was bad, the lnb, the receiver or what. Finally found that a very small piece of the center conductor of the coax had broken off inside the grounding block. Had even put a new end on the coax to that side of the grounding block but was still getting intermittent signal because the new connector was hitting the broken piece of metal inside the grounding block shorting it out. Liked to of never found that problem until I replaced all the coax and had an extra grounding block laying around so decided to replace it and there it was.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

That's why I recommend using good compression connectors (Gilbert) throughout an installation. They do a better job at keeping the water out, but they're still not waterproof so they still need to be sealed with coax sealant.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

15. The Following User Says Thank You to satchick For This Useful Post:

D-troit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by satchick View Post
    That's why I recommend using good compression connectors (Gilbert) throughout an installation. They do a better job at keeping the water out, but they're still not waterproof so they still need to be sealed with coax sealant.
    Compression connectors are a must in my opinion Thomas Betts are my favorites. Rubber Boot Seals should also be used on any install where a coax is connected to waterproof the threads, these are a requirement of a DN install and should be checked for cracking also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by D-troit; 12-26-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Bowhunters Guest

I use white teflon tape that you can buy at the hardware stores for where the coax threads onto the LNB output, it has worked for me so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast