Thread: Your opinion 1996/97 Amana SXD27TW consider replacing with Kenmore Elite 58702

tjt69 Guest

Default Your opinion 1996/97 Amana SXD27TW consider replacing with Kenmore Elite 58702

Hi we have a Amana SXD27TW side by side(mfg#P1302801WW and Serial#9604138669) it has had some issues with the ice maker after about three years and now again fill tube frozen and maybe is the inlet valve at bottom back of frig?...now it is leaking water from front door I checked the lines to the water in door no leaks ...we keep floor coils clean ...the compressor seems to be louder than it was and rattles so to replace it is approx $400 to $500 just for compressor and the water inlet valve around $30 and there may be a defrost sensor/relay going causing the door leak as the seal is tight and good..

....maybe repairs just not worth it?

We looked at replacing this...so many friges it is confusing and due to the builtin size in the cabinets at our home we are considering a Kenmore Elite 58702

Also,what is your opinion on the Kenmore Elite 58702 model?

Many thanks
    Last edited by tjt69; 11-18-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added info mfg and ser#

LoginFreak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tjt69 View Post
    Hi we have a Amana SXD27TW side by side(mfg#P1302801WW and Serial#9604138669) it has had some issues with the ice maker after about three years and now again fill tube frozen and maybe is the inlet valve at bottom back of frig?...now it is leaking water from front door I checked the lines to the water in door no leaks ...we keep floor coils clean ...the compressor seems to be louder than it was and rattles so to replace it is approx $400 to $500 just for compressor and the water inlet valve around $30 and there may be a defrost sensor/relay going causing the door leak as the seal is tight and good..

....maybe repairs just not worth it?

We looked at replacing this...so many friges it is confusing and due to the builtin size in the cabinets at our home we are considering a Kenmore Elite 58702

Also,what is your opinion on the Kenmore Elite 58702 model?

Many thanks
    I will start with the water problem..

Is the water building up in the bottom of the freezer?
    And then leaking out the front of the door.

Or is the water coming from the ice maker?

If the drain tube is freezing over at the bottom back of the inside of the freezer.
    Then that could simply mean the drain is plugged.

If you unplug the fridge for 24 hours. It should unthaw all the ice in the drain.
    But you will still have to find the hose that goes from the freezer to the drain pan.

If it's the tube that fills the ice maker that freezes over. Then it sounds like the inlet valve is leaking a bit of water at a time.

I would need a link to the sears site to know exactly which fridge you are thinking of getting.
    If you are able to get the model right off the fridge that is always best because then I'll know who built it.

Let me know exactly where the water is coming from.
    And I also attached a breakdown in case you need it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

tjt69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LoginFreak View Post
    I will start with the water problem..

Is the water building up in the bottom of the freezer?
    And then leaking out the front of the door.

Or is the water coming from the ice maker?

If the drain tube is freezing over at the bottom back of the inside of the freezer.
    Then that could simply mean the drain is plugged.

If you unplug the fridge for 24 hours. It should unthaw all the ice in the drain.
    But you will still have to find the hose that goes from the freezer to the drain pan.

If it's the tube that fills the ice maker that freezes over. Then it sounds like the inlet valve is leaking a bit of water at a time.

I would need a link to the sears site to know exactly which fridge you are thinking of getting.
    If you are able to get the model right off the fridge that is always best because then I'll know who built it.

Let me know exactly where the water is coming from.
    And I also attached a breakdown in case you need it.
    Thank you for the info. I defrosted already and it was the inlet valve for the ice machine no more water leaks also had to replace defrost relay sensor, however, the compressor is getting louder....so not sure it's worth replacing...as other things are sure to happen as the fridge ages...at this time I only have $40 out of pocket for the inlet valve and the relay/sensor...I have been offered $500 for the fridge...I suspect compressor is nearing end of life at 14 years so maybe it's just time to get new fridge even with the late model fridge evident built in obsolescence???

I appreciate your expertise and thoughts as you have most likely forgot more than most know about appliance repair.

here is the Sears link of the fridge we looked at
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...e=Side-by-Side
    Last edited by tjt69; 11-19-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: new and added info

LoginFreak Guest

Thank you for the info. I defrosted already and it was the inlet valve for the ice machine no more water leaks also had to replace defrost relay sensor, however, the compressor is getting louder....so not sure it's worth replacing...as other things are sure to happen as the fridge ages...at this time I only have $40 out of pocket for the inlet valve and the relay/sensor...I have been offered $500 for the fridge...I suspect compressor is nearing end of life at 14 years so maybe it's just time to get new fridge even with the late model fridge evident built in obsolescence???

I appreciate your expertise and thoughts as you have most likely forgot more than most know about appliance repair.

here is the Sears link of the fridge we looked at
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...e=Side-by-Side
    Since the compressor is making noise.. Then chances are it is damaged.
    You were offered $500 for the fridge? I guess someone has a compressor to install in it.. lol

I would say to take the money and run.

At that age there are many parts that can fail... So seeing how the compressor is showing some damage it's best not to put any more money into the fridge because you might not get it back.

The model that you are looking at is a Whirlpool built Kenmore fridge.
    We have the same one on the floor but the 22 cubic model and they are very good fridges.

The new fridge will have some condenser lines under the fridge that you will want to clean every 6 months to a year. Depending on how dirty they are.

And that should be all.. If you have any more questions let me know.

tjt69 Guest

Many thanks ... taking the money and getting new fridge...best wishes

tjt69 Guest

one more question there are two models of this fridge a 58702 link in prior msg with button control panel and a 50442 with touch screenhttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04650442000P#reviewsWrap

which would be better button or touch screen?

LoginFreak Guest

one more question there are two models of this fridge a 58702 link in prior msg with button control panel and a 50442 with touch screenhttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04650442000P#reviewsWrap

which would be better button or touch screen?
    I would prefer to go with the button model then the touch screen.
    Mainly because if the touch screen fails I'm sure it will cost a lot.

If one of the buttons fails. Chances are it's a small board that normally doesn't cost too much.

But that is just me.. Some might see it different..