Thread: Bass Boat Crash

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 547x in 217 Posts

Default Bass Boat Crash

this has been around awhile...not sure if you all seen it yet....its a spectacular crash...and is a good reminder to always wear your lifevest, have your kill switch attached and keep the speed down while attempting manuvures around waves or obstacles.

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

oak Guest

I can't get video to play. Sounds like a bow hook. I have been through one without a life jacket and am lucky to be here to tell about it. Kill switch saved my life. Never, and I mean never, even put your engine in gear without your kill switch. Just a good habit to get into so you never forget. Also don't get into the habbit of putting the kill switch on your belt loop or life jacket. They could tear. Put it on your wrist or around your leg. When I stop and take mine off I always put it on the control so when I put my hand on it to put it in gear it's always there so I never forget it.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

hey oak, just go to youtube and type in Bass Boat Crash. you should be able to find it. the crash recipients name in the vid was greg.

and good to hear, by the way, you are a dedicated safe boat driver...wish more folks out there on the waters had that attitude!

a Ray Guy punt away from the Half Moon Drive-in
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

The kill switch came thru big time......he got ejected right into the prop area.

Chuck, that's how everyone drives thru Devils Gap.
    All-World's Back-in-the-Day NFL Personality of the Week
    TED HENDRICKS
    Raiders '75-'83

Don't fruit the beer

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,189x in 646 Posts

The Vid said he was in the water for 10 mins.?? Was the camera boat reloading with new film lol before they helped him out?
    Quite scare Chuck to watch that for sure and to think I was going to buy a boat like that! Think I might stick to my 45 mph boat instead of the 60 mph boat,in a tournament there is all kinds of wake waves your going across and so far I've had no problem but then again 3/4 of my boat is in the water not just the motor like that guys.

Special thanks to TPB for the sig

<")))>< ><((((º> ¸ <")))><.·´¯><((((º>`·..·´¯><((((º>`·.´¯><((((º>`·. ´¯><((((º>`·´¯><((((º> <")))><

oak Guest

I grew up around bass boats. My dad was the first Ranger dealer. Yup, first to buy two Ranger boats and park them in his yard for sale. He was only nine miles from Flippin, AR. Back when Mercury first came out with the v-6, before dual steering cables, people were getting thrown out at take off. The v-6 had too much torque for the single cable. Dad was making and installing kill switches before the engine manufacturers were.

I also remember back in '67 when I was four he had the fastest fishing rig on Bull Shoals. It was an old Kenzie Craft with a 50hp Merc tiller model with power trim and tilt. To this day I still think that's where I acquired my need for speed.

a Ray Guy punt away from the Half Moon Drive-in
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

....the advantages of a 9.9 hp outboard....keeps people from killing themselves.
    All-World's Back-in-the-Day NFL Personality of the Week
    TED HENDRICKS
    Raiders '75-'83

Don't fruit the beer

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by all-world1 View Post
    The kill switch came thru big time......he got ejected right into the prop area.

Chuck, that's how everyone drives thru Devils Gap.
    yup, the gap is only mabey 30' wide...folks just flogg thru there. not like a car, where in many areas you are forced to slow down and stop, but in a boat...its wide open..make ur own road...thats when problems start.

Quote Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
    The Vid said he was in the water for 10 mins.?? Was the camera boat reloading with new film lol before they helped him out?
    Quite scare Chuck to watch that for sure and to think I was going to buy a boat like that! Think I might stick to my 45 mph boat instead of the 60 mph boat,in a tournament there is all kinds of wake waves your going across and so far I've had no problem but then again 3/4 of my boat is in the water not just the motor like that guys.
    yeah, when we take off in tourny's thats usually when i am going the slowest..loll..lots of wakes. once i break off the main field..i open it up a bit. i do want a bass boat eventually...but my 18' lund pro v, with the 135 optimax suits me good now. 40 mph is fast on a calm day....going with the wind, downhill..lolll!

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

Living in the Florida Keys As long as I did, I have heard of many, seen only a couple, but a lifevest can save your life, and drinking a bunch while boating isn't the smartest thing to do either,

BPG~

BHill Guest

Why would he drive at that speed over those wakes anyway. Stupid is all I can say.

I have been boating for 40 years and what he did is just plane stupid.

There is a time and place to do that and it wasn't the time.

When your running on the prop only you need to be very careful.

oak Guest

I was finally able to view the video. I had to go to propman's page and scroll through to find it.

Yes, it was due to operator error. The down button on the trim switch is your friend when encountering boat wakes and swells at an angle. Some boat hulls handle that type of situation better than others. I tried to see the make of teh boat, but couldn't make it out. That rig was doin a lil chine walking anyways.

BHill Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oak View Post
    I was finally able to view the video. I had to go to propman's page and scroll through to find it.

Yes, it was due to operator error. The down button on the trim switch is your friend when encountering boat wakes and swells at an angle. Some boat hulls handle that type of situation better than others. I tried to see the make of teh boat, but couldn't make it out. That rig was doin a lil chine walking anyways.
    Yep operator error.

He should have backed off long before he went into the wake from another boat.
    This guy deserves what he gets.

These people are why the rescue services are so busy.

Least they get lots of practice with clowns like this out there. LOL

yddoow Guest

Instead of you tube , maybe it should have made it to the Darwin awards as a near miss . My first boat in 1960 was a punt . I was taught respect for the water (not fear) and common sense , if you misplace one of those , have someone with a camera near by ..

Grumpy7790 Guest

That boat was doing some chine walking earlier in the video, was that a Champion boat?