Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Default Sugar Bowl lobbied to keep banned Buckeyes eligible

c/p from foxsports by the a/p
    Updated Dec 29, 2010 8:21 PM ET
    Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan lobbied Ohio State University to make sure five of its football players — including star quarterback Terrelle Pryor — would not be suspended for the game against Arkansas, The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday.

Ohio State announced last week that Pryor, leading rusher Dan Herron, starting wide receiver DeVier Posey, starting offensive tackle Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas would be suspended for the first five games of next season for violating NCAA rules.

Pryor and his teammates sold memorabilia, including Big Ten championship rings, in exchange for tattoos at a Columbus parlor and cash.

But the players were reinstated by the NCAA for the Jan. 4 Sugar Bowl after a successful lobbying effort by OSU athletic director Gene Smith and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

Hoolahan said he appealed to Smith to do everything he could to ensure the Buckeyes players could be in uniform in New Orleans.

"I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year's game, we would greatly appreciate it," Hoolahan said. "That appeal did not fall on deaf ears, and I'm extremely excited about it, that the Buckeyes are coming in at full strength and with no dilution."

Many Ohio State fans believe the suspensions should start immediately.

"I appreciate and fully understand the Midwestern values and ethics behind that," Hoolahan said. "But I'm probably thinking of this from a selfish perspective."

The five players apologized for their actions Tuesday at a news conference. A sixth player, linebacker Brandon Whiting, received a one-game suspension.
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

marlo803 Guest

yeah yeah yeah...

if those players were from the SEC they would have been suspended

NOW..colledge sport's are like every other sport; they want to keep

the competition equal..they want the national championship to be spread

around.i know this game is not for the the championship but it would look

good if ohio won considering how the little 10 looked so far..they will NOT

beat arkansas..jmo....but u never can tell

The Cobra Guest

the all mighty $$$$$$ speaks again------and for a major Bowl game=ton of exposure=no blowout (or less chance of one)=competitiveness=more viewers=more $$$$ to be split by the schools & NCAA. And they got the cajones to talk about integrity?? There is no such thing as integrity when it comes to money, schools and the NCAA-----only rule is....don`t get caught.