Thread: Crosley dryer will not start

AngryAmish Guest

Default Crosley dryer will not start

Hello everyone,

I have a Crosley dryer (1996). I don't know the model number or serial (cannot seem to locate it). It says heavy duty , 22 lb capacity on the front panel. If someon can tell me where to look, I'll gladly fill in the info. What happened was, dryer was making noise, I removed front panel and changed the fan. It was worn out on the shaft. I installed fan and closed everything up and started the dryer, sounded good and worked fine. I left to go upstairs, came down 20 minutes and noticed dryer not working. checked clothing, it was as I had put it in, it did not dry. I pressed on the starter button, nothing. I turned the knob, everything works, clicking sound and timer, but when I want to start it, it won't start. I checked for continuity and power, I have, so I know problem not the switch.Can it be the motor ? I never touched it, I just changed the fan with a new one same model. Dryer belt is not broken.

Thanks
    AA

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

I found this for you AngryAmish.Apparently there could be a Thermal limiter on your machine and might have tripped??GL.
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

AngryAmish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toddr1 View Post
    I found this for you AngryAmish.Apparently there could be a Thermal limiter on your machine and might have tripped??GL.
    Hi Todd, I checked it for continuity and and do have it. I do have power going to the motor when I push the start button. The shaft moves freely so I am not sure if it is the motor or not. Anyway of checking the motor ?
    Thanks
    AA

AngryAmish Guest

I checked door switch and also have continuity. I also got zapped when I pressed the switch and touching the metal part of switch at the same time

eyeQ is offline Super Moderator/Quicken Loans 400 NASCAR Pool winner
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 60x in 17 Posts

c/p there are 2 house fuses in the dryer circuit. if 1 of the 2 fuses is blown the drum may turn but heater will not operate - suggestion replace the fuse.

option

you may need to replace the motor to save time tweaking around, estimated cost of motor 100-150 bucz

in comparison for service call visit charge 70-90 bucz.

new gas dryer 450- and up

buy used one .....150-300

good to see you AA

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

I know I am not a applicance repair man, but check this.

You said that you have continuity in your start circuit, but do you have voltage? I know it is a pain to check and possibly dangerous, but sometimes continutiy checks can be misleading when dealing with electronics circuit boards.

Also, does your motor have a capacitor on it? The capacitor should be the last thing in the circuit before the motor. Its purpose would be to help start the motor and to eliminate voltage sag during start up.

If you think it might be the problem, simply take it out of the circuit, and jump the two wires together, and try it again.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

Using a good non-contact voltage tester might work... Especially in old dryers, the control panel operates at 120v, so a non-contact tester would indicate the presence of voltage.

The start-up capacitor is something else to check, as DD mentioned. The capacitor going bad often causes the dryer to trip breakers due to the surge in current on start up though. Still, it's something to check since you're in there anyways.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower