Thread: GE Washer Wont Spin or Agitate

Kamdyn Guest

Default GE Washer Wont Spin or Agitate

My GE washer wont spin or agitate, My model number is GJSR2080H2WW. Im am leaning towards a bad lid switch, Before it used to agitate and I tried playing with the door by open and closing and the motor will start to spin. Now it just fills up with water and drains but nothing else.

dakota9393 Guest

check the switch ... mine was not a ge but the switch require just more pressure to do the job.. the cover are cheap and bend a little that why my stop spin or do not start cycle...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Mine was a bad lid switch, to test it use a Popsicle stick cut down to fit the hole the door pin goes into, if it spins its the switch, I by passed it till I got a new one, but be careful as it is 110 VAC your dealing with.

You can go to GE online and order a new one, or get the part number and look locally.

They are a bit of a pain to replace, but its better then a service call if you know what your doing.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

knob Guest

Ya it sounds like a standard top load washer. The lid switch or the inverter motor are the most likely for those GE washers. ...some units have 2 screws at the bottom of the front panel,if that is what you have take those 2 screws out and pull the front panel off...OR...Take a paint scrapper and stick it in the front edge at the right and left to depress thr brackets holding the top on...flip the top up...remove the 2 screws inside at the front of the panel and pull the front off...if there is a red light on the motor it is probably the problem....
    Last edited by knob; 04-05-2011 at 07:25 AM.

thetecbrat Guest

Default your switch checking it if you dont mind a little electrical work

you can take the 2 wires that go to the switch if you have a couple alligater clips with covers so you dont shock yourself its only dc voltage you can short the 2 wires out and it should start water and the spin or aggitate cycle just a thought if your not scared to connect those 2 wires with a couple clips with the rubber coating over them so you dont sort it to the body of the washer! good luck i have had wonderfull success! my little rats slam the door down and its broken twice now lol good luck hope all works out!

knob Guest

....just be aware when you bypass the lid switch the washer will continue running whether the lid is open or closed and will NOT stop spinning until the timer sequence is finished....unless you turn off or pause the machine. Also,not sure exactly which model you have and you may have more than 2 wires on the lid switch (some lock the lid as well)

cadman_j Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kamdyn View Post
    My GE washer wont spin or agitate, My model number is GJSR2080H2WW. Im am leaning towards a bad lid switch, Before it used to agitate and I tried playing with the door by open and closing and the motor will start to spin. Now it just fills up with water and drains but nothing else.
    At this time, it's either you probably fixed your washer or got rid of it. But i had the same problem about a month a go and by experience on my previous washer it was the belt that broke. You can't see it from below,(not like Whirpool) unless you open the front cover. It's was bitch to replace a new belt, you need brute force but careful enough not to break it. After that do a motor reset (it shuts down when it senses abnormality) by opening and closing the lid six times. Save me at least close to $200 for a $10 part. Hope this helps even though it's late.