Thread: PC-less VOIP

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

Default PC-less VOIP

I'm looking for a VOIP provider that will work with a standalone VOIP adapter (Cisco) so that I don't have to rely on a computer to provide phone service. I'm looking at voip.ms (based out of Montreal, they've been around forever too) as one possible provider, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I need a provider with a termination in South Korea for sure, and they must have Canadian DIDs.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

bpetey Guest

Not sure if Vonage has what you need but I've had them for over a year and service has been flawless.

DSSRUEL Guest

That VOIP service is intended for...

Home? Business? SOHO?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose

As a home phone line, cell reception isn't the best here and as you can imagine long distance and overseas calls are prohibitively expensive.

Edit: This is the phone adapter I'm thinking of getting:
    Code:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps10024/ps10029/data_sheet_c78-502441.html
    I should mention I has a magicjack and returned it, unopened and unused. It looks too shady for my liking, you know about it being too good to be true... I would consider it IF I could get the service to talk to the Cisco adapter without having to install questionable software.
    Last edited by satchick; 04-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    Satellite Equipment:

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

windfall Guest

Been using this for 3 years not use be be called cantalk9000 hook it up the your internet and than your phone line in your basement and you hole house will have cheap VIOP 60.00 year also work with your home security system well mine anyways
    Code:
    http://www.talkit.ca
    Last edited by StanW; 04-28-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: live link

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose

That looks interesting, Not a bad price considering it includes a real adapter. Any issues with it ringing multiple phones (powered phones)?
    Satellite Equipment:

OTA Equipment:

wattso99 Guest

Nettalk is pretty good. nettalk.com
    Last edited by wattso99; 04-29-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling

igoreshka Guest

yes, I am using netTALK Duo for a 3-4 month now, way better then MagicJack I used before, goes directly to a router, better quality for sure

socalicarguy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by satchick View Post
    As a home phone line, cell reception isn't the best here and as you can imagine long distance and overseas calls are prohibitively expensive.

Edit: This is the phone adapter I'm thinking of getting:
    Code:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps10024/ps10029/data_sheet_c78-502441.html
    I should mention I has a magicjack and returned it, unopened and unused. It looks too shady for my liking, you know about it being too good to be true... I would consider it IF I could get the service to talk to the Cisco adapter without having to install questionable software.
    concerns over MJs tactics have been around for a while , when signing up your basically agreeing to get advertising on your screen and for them to monitor you web surfing behavior so they know what type of ads to shoot your way .
    a work around to this is a cheap thin client which uses very little power consumption left on 24hrs a day (maybe a little more than a voip device if that ) and in the eyes of the MJ device it complies with their TOS .
    Last edited by socalicarguy; 05-02-2011 at 05:58 PM.

achuma Guest

Default Freephoneline.ca

Have you checked Freephoneline.ca?

You can you Linksys adaptor and do not need PC on all the time.

Bandoura Guest

Been using freephoneline for two years now and it is all good so far.

songvicobac Guest

I am using Magicjack quality is not that good but I can download magicjack app to my ipod and get a different number