Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: my mini bud :-)

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,226x in 7,919 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

Ku section is always at the back of a dual lnbf feed. I have my bands on seperate dishes. I'm sure Terry would have great results with just a c band dedicated lnbf.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,660x in 3,245 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

No room on the current mounting mast for 2 dishes, and putting in a dedicated "C" band only dish is out as I don't have the clearance for the "C" band, a small hill and too many nice shade trees are in the way for anything west of 97 where it would have to be mounted, the current dish I have for Ku is just clearing the top of the hill,(and trees) that's why its on a 15 foot mast and that side of the garage, I can scan from 61W to 180W (and a tad bit further on each side) with the current mounting.

I don't have the resources for putting a "C" band dish at the same location, it would be a nice job, but digging the foundation for a 20 foot+ mast into the granite would be too hard on old me.

This is why I would be looking into this type of setup, "C" band on my 1 meter dish with "Ku" would work out just fine, if I get the energy to do the job.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

xilbus Guest

Terry you should get a sidecar like in my picture. get a spitfire 0.1 noise ku lnb you will be able to get great results with that.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

If I'm going to go through all the trouble to bring the dish down to do this mod I want all my LNBs to be at and in the prime focal area, they tend to work better where there supposed to be.

Mounting a second LNB off to the side like that tends to get it into that gray area, and where my dish is mounted and how high it's off the roof line tends to rule out and tweaking after its mounted, I don't work to good on 30 foot tall ladders anymore, and the Doctors have ruled out any roof work for me, I tend to want to fall off them too easy.

I do my calculations and work on the ground, raise the mast and tune it to the marks, it usually works out fine after that, but that's with a single LNB.
    Last edited by Terryl; 05-24-2011 at 09:56 PM.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

xilbus Guest

well Terry if i was you i would try out the lnb that you posted. if you recall with the 1m winegard two lnb holders came in the package. use the bigger one and get some long screws, i used long tapcon screws. The bigger lnb holder is a 50mm but the cbands are 65mm. With the long screws its going to be a bit tight but it will fit nicely.

The problem with the winegard dishes is that the arm is wider then all the rest and generic lnb holders dont fit.

after the kids are in bed ill be going back out to try my luck with the FX channels tp on 91. If i get 70% quality on the cw channels i should be able to get the FX
    Attached Images Attached Images

xilbus Guest

no luck on the fx channels on 3800 H 30000 ive turned the lnb at multiple positions and nothing max quality is always 8%.
    im going to try bumping the dish with the motor a bit to see if that will produce any results.

xilbus Guest

no luck with the motor bumping, i was able to max out the cw tp but no change to the fx tp. ill have to try something els.

jvvh5897 Guest

I've also been using a 1M dish for C band and I've found some of the TPs just will not come in no matter how you tweek things. I do run a Ku band LNB about 10 degrees to one side (helps me get back on a specific bird when I've played with dish), but have found the tweeks needed for C LNB mean that a built in Ku band LNB never works very well. All these newer cheap C band LNBs seem to be built about the same so that BSC621-2D looks pretty much the same as the DMX741u--when you look down the throat of the waveguide, the probes are staggered with a reflecting "pole" behind one of them--they are cheap and look kind of cheap too but do seem to work OK with some signals, some of the time. I use the C band signals quite a bit but the tweeks required on a non-motor set-up mean that I could never get away with a dish 15' up in the air.

Original poster is getting lots better results than I would have expected (I don't have s9 box or other HD box type so I'm limited to SD and that seems to be a bad thing now).

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I'd love to get a "C" band setup but it would also have to include "Ku" band as I watch the PBS HD channel on 125 a lot.

This is the only location I could put the motorized system, (see photo) as the roof at the main house is full of other antennas, this setup gives me a full view of my part of the Clark belt as it clears the hill and trees to its east for 61W.

If I put a new C/Ku LNB on this 1 meter dish I maybe can get some of the Oriental/Australian satellites out past 180W.

But as you can see by the photo I would have to replace the current setup with a 4" pole 20 feet tall for roof clearance and mount the 10 footer on it, too big a job for me right now.Pic's 2A 001.jpg
    Last edited by Terryl; 05-25-2011 at 05:44 PM.

"Can you HIDE it"?

xilbus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    I've also been using a 1M dish for C band and I've found some of the TPs just will not come in no matter how you tweek things. I do run a Ku band LNB about 10 degrees to one side (helps me get back on a specific bird when I've played with dish), but have found the tweeks needed for C LNB mean that a built in Ku band LNB never works very well. All these newer cheap C band LNBs seem to be built about the same so that BSC621-2D looks pretty much the same as the DMX741u--when you look down the throat of the waveguide, the probes are staggered with a reflecting "pole" behind one of them--they are cheap and look kind of cheap too but do seem to work OK with some signals, some of the time. I use the C band signals quite a bit but the tweeks required on a non-motor set-up mean that I could never get away with a dish 15' up in the air.

Original poster is getting lots better results than I would have expected (I don't have s9 box or other HD box type so I'm limited to SD and that seems to be a bad thing now).
    jvvh5897 what is the brand name of your 1m dish? some market their dish as a 1m but use the height of the dish to mesure.
    my winegard is 105cm wide and is rated 40 db wich is as good as some 1.2m dishes out there.
    I just ordered a geosatpro 1.2m dish from a montreal shop so this weekend or next week i will be able to compare results
    the geosatpro is rated 43db and the 3 added db will make a difference on the week tp`s paired up with a sensitive receiver like the s9.

xilbus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
    I'd love to get a "C" band setup but it would also have to include "Ku" band as I watch the PBS HD channel on 125 a lot.

This is the only location I could put the motorized system, (see photo) as the roof at the main house is full of other antennas, this setup gives me a full view of my part of the Clark belt as it clears the hill and trees to its east for 61W.

If I put a new C/Ku LNB on this 1 meter dish I maybe can get some of the Oriental/Australian satellites out past 180W.

But as you can see by the photo I would have to replace the current setup with a 4" pole 20 feet tall for roof clearance and mount the 10 footer on it, too big a job for me right now.Pic's 2A 001.jpg
    Thanks Terry for the pic thats a nice setup you got there. I also love the pbs feeds on 125 psb has some very good programming, im in love with nova and the kids like pbs kids.

im going to try some more tonight to try and get the fx channels to come in. ill report back later on

jvvh5897 Guest

It is primestar/channel master 1M, measures 40 by 44 inch, 24 inch focal length, 22.5 degree offset but to make LNB fit on the arms I am running it as if it were 17.5 degree offset. C band gain looks to be about 31dB and it may be slightly blocked by building to the south (would have been definately clear if the pole was 6 inches higher, but that is the best I could do when I put it in and only expected to do Ku--don't know if blocked by more than the lower few inches or how that might affect things--can a building roof edge act as interferance edge producing fringes?). I get the 99 degree sat with about 1 dB margin (Q of 45 with box that goes to pixels when Q get to 37)--that means that if I am in the 42 dBm contour for 99 bird, that when I look at lyngsat info for other birds if I don't see 41 dBm or better, I need not even try to point at it.

Oh, and I don't get much of anything with a flat scaler ring, the stepped conical scaller is OK and LNB sticks out about half way between the lowest edge and the first step for best signal. Had to do lots and lots of tweeking on the LNB position in scaler and did not ever think I would get the PR/Virgin Is mux well enough to watch it as I was tweeking the Lysat channels and it turns out the tweek for one is not the best for the other on this setup.
    Last edited by jvvh5897; 05-26-2011 at 06:20 PM.

xilbus Guest

Hey Jvv
    so your lnb is not completely towards the back? what were your results when its completely at the back? because most people receive best results if the conical scalar ring is right at the edge of the lnb and almost falling off and the lnb competely pushed back. To be honest i havent tried the lnb at half way.
    are you talking about the nbc virgin ils mux on 118.8 ? thats a good channel, ive been watching it allot.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,226x in 7,919 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

I'm not sure if this applies just to a 1m dish but my lnbf is at least 2" past my scalar ring.

xilbus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by costactc View Post
    I'm not sure if this applies just to a 1m dish but my lnbf is at least 2" past my scalar ring.
    you have a prime focus dish? its different yes for offset dishes. It has to do with the c-band signal not bouncing correctly on a offset

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast