Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Testing out a 1 Meter “C” band dish.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,226x in 7,919 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

Great to hear Terryl, I know you'll pull in more channels on G17, very strong sat.

xilbus Guest

Sorry Terry, havent been browsing the site for a while. Im happy you got the word network on 91. If you want to test out you have to try 91 and 99w
    now remember that if you have a motor, bump your dish EST and your c-band signals should come in stronger. ill try and find a list of channels that i got with my old 1m dish. I have a 1.2m geosat now. also push your lnb as close to the dish as possible and get your connical scalar on the edge of falling off the lnb.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,660x in 3,245 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

MMMmm I don't have a conical scalar ring, maybe it's my next investment, I did make a cone about the same size out of aluminum, but dont see any difference in "Q" on the channels.

Dont have a motor but this is setup on a workbench with a small TV right next to the dish, I have tried other satellites with no luck, I only get the one channel on 91W.

I have tried both the CoolSat 5000 and 8000, and both get just the one channel, the 8000 has a lower "Q" then the 5000, I was hoping to get 87W as that has the NASA HD channel on it, I may have to try a bigger dish.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

chifut Guest

Terry,but for HD chns , need higher Q level ,then SD chns ,Don't waste time for NASA HD .JMO.Good luck

jvvh5897 Guest

A 1 meter dish at C band is too small, pointing and other adjustments get very critical. Beamwidth is above 4 degrees and gain is very low. 1.2 is lots better with beamwidth below 4 degrees--so nearby sats inferfer less. Bigger is better--7.5 feet gives you the beamwidth below 2 degrees (that really is the lowest that one should have for use in any band) and 3.5 dB more gain than 1 meter (about twice the signal).

----edit--

I seem to have trouble remembering to square the ratio of diameters when I'm on the web computers. Should have had 5 times the signal and 7dB for the gain of 7.5 feet verses 1 meter.
    Last edited by jvvh5897; 08-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

OK more info, after some good night time work, (too hot here to work in the day time) I have found a few more satellites, these are all the high powered ones.

Now for the little secret I mentioned earlier, the truth is that the dish I'm using is not a 1 meter dish, it is an old WildBlue data dish that is a 28 x 26 elliptical, it works great as a "Ku" band linear dish, and with the help of good old Costac it now works as a "C" band dish on the higher powered "C" band satellites.

So WOW "C" band on a 28" dish, here are some photos.C band dish 001.jpgC band dish 002.jpg

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

And some more.C band dish 003.jpgC band dish 004.jpg

Now to work on a weather cover for the LNB.

"Can you HIDE it"?

jvvh5897 Guest

I just happen to have been doing some tests on common plastics and found that PETE is ok in signal path, but HDPE seems to be reactive at Ku band, not sure why--maybe it is a really big molecule or has something hanging off that is just right, but you have to assume that anything that changes Ku can change C band too. About the same amount as teflon does too.

Could we get you to do some measurements on that dish--like filling it with water to the level as the top and bottom edge and then finding the horizontal edges at the widest part of the filled area. Think you can do this if you are careful with out water and two straight edges. The idea is to get the vert and horiz sizes to figure offset and then to evaluate how they construct the elliptical dishes. Think you will find that there is an oval area filled with water that you can use the standard offset eq on to find offset and f.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Well I'm not going to move that dish off the test bed anytime soon, so the water trick will have to wait, standard measuments put it at 28" horizontal by 26" vertical.

As far as the tru focal area, it was found by using my linear tracking system, this clamps onto the dish arm and moves in the X, Y, Z plane, used a small "Ku" band LNB attached to it, then the CS 5000 as a signal indicator, I wish I still had the spectrum analyzer for this but I don't have access to it now.

The arm attached to the dish is right on the beam as far as the offset, I then constructed a set of brackets to mount the "C" band LNB.

A standard Dish 1000 plastic LNB mount works fine to hold the "Ku" band LNBs.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Pollypurabred Guest

Please excuse my reply as it has no relevance to this thread.

I am a perfectionists but maybe filling a container with water and measuring the distances needed is beyond my comprehension. While I very much respect Terryl, why would you, jvvh5897, allow theses measurements without a video representation....do you trust Terryl? ......LOL

Actually I have learned a tremendous amount (via net) following your different post and appreciate with all you peeps put forth....tks.
    Last edited by Pollypurabred; 08-22-2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: LOL

jvvh5897 Guest

Do I trust a member of a forum? I tend to. The point of forums is that people share info. I don't own that dish and don't have access to one beyond taking a pic if one is close to sidewalk, but I am interested in how they are made. The water trick is one described in the n1bwt / Paul Wade info on parabolas.

chifut Guest

Hey Polly, Do you know who made modyfied BINs for fortec and pansat, durring N2 days??
    p.s .My respect is for both of them .Don't get me wrong .
    Last edited by chifut; 08-22-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: .

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,226x in 7,919 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

I would suggest that we all take a deep breathe and relax. There is no room for hostilities in this extremely informative thread.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I should change the title of this thread to "Testing a micro-mini-bud" and I have found a few more channels on 121W Galaxy 23.

The dish I'm using is a bit too small for anything but the strong "C" band satellites, but it works.

"Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

No new things to report on the micro-mini, things are still too hot on that side of the barn right now to work on anything, looks like a mid October job as I see it. (unless we get a hot Indian summer)

"Can you HIDE it"?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123