Thread: extracting fta files

wesclaypool Guest

Default extracting fta files

does anyone know how to exract zip and rar files on the mac osx or what the file looks like on the desktop because i'm not sure if the files are extracted and ready to go on the usb.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 82x in 30 Posts

Mac OSX 10.3 or later have a built in utility that opens zip files. Open "Finder" and navigate to the Zip file you want to unzip. Double-click the file you want to unzip. The files contained in the Zip file will be automatically unzipped into the same folder as the original zip file.
    Please post support questions in the forum, not by PM. Thanks...

wesclaypool Guest

i have the osx 10.6.8 , so when i take the file out of downloads it goes on the desktop and it looks like a piece of paper with a folded corner a zipper and on the bottom of the paper it says bin , so i just wonder if thats what i'm supposed to see or not its so different then a pc. the rar file looks the same as the zip file on the desktop. i'm just afraid of trying to put an unzipped file on the receiver and screwing it up.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 82x in 30 Posts

You have to actually unzip the file. It won't do it on its own. A zipped file will still have the zip extension. All Mac OSX 10.3 and above have the utility installed to unzip. Just do as I posted above, then load the bin file on the usb. Typically the receiver will not recognize a zip file.
    Last edited by stman; 08-02-2011 at 03:10 AM.
    Please post support questions in the forum, not by PM. Thanks...

wesclaypool Guest

i'm sorry but i don't think it's working right i tried unzipping the bin file on the terminal and it doesn't recognize it or can't open it so i right clicked on the bin file and compressed it and it looked the same as the bin it just said zip instead , also if receiver doesn't recognize the zip file then i wouldn't have to worry about messing up the receiver it just wouldn't load ?

wesclaypool Guest

i'm not sure if it's any different but i'm getting the files for the limesat and the files say .bin.zip at the end and when i download it on the mac it starts as a .bin.zip then changes to just .bin in the small download window i don't know why they say .bin and not just .zip only like a sonicview file?

slugworth Guest

select the file then use getinfo from the osx pulldown menu under file.
    it should show the filesize and type of file.

wesclaypool Guest

i don't really know how to read that, under general it says the kind as MacBinary archive , size 4.2 MB on disk(4,195,670 bytes) and further down it says open with archive utility so i did that and it opens a zip page that looks the same only its called cpgz and it keeps on going in a circle back to bin its like nothing opens or something .

sump Guest

PHP Code:
    http://download.cnet.com/RAR-Expander/3000-2072_4-55074.html?tag=rb_content;main 

cnet .com is very good site for "stuff"

look at the "most popular" it will tell u what u need .

some are FREE
    some are FREE TRIALS

some are PAID ONLY