Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90hp Mercury woes

enrico Guest

Default 90hp Mercury woes

I bought an old 16' Campion w/ 1987 90 HP Merc outboard. Maybe you guys can help me out. When I boiught it, the owner said it just died in the middle of the lake and he was able to limp it to shore. He couldn't figure out what was wrong and bought a new boat. So here I am with a manual, a small amount of knowledge, and I can't figure out why this sucker won't run. I've charged the crap out of the battery and when I turn it over the flywheel rotates 2 - 3 times. To get it to turn over again I have to shut down then turn the key again. First thing I did was replace the plugs (I've got good compression) then pulled the lower leg (looks fine) and the starter is good. I've got the plugs out now and sometimes the flywheel turns a couple times and sometimes it'll roll over like crazy (like it should). I know I'm gonna have to start ripping and tearing but I'm hoping that it's something stupidly easy like an ignition wire that needs replacing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx Let me know if you need more info

Kamdyn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    I bought an old 16' Campion w/ 1987 90 HP Merc outboard. Maybe you guys can help me out. When I boiught it, the owner said it just died in the middle of the lake and he was able to limp it to shore. He couldn't figure out what was wrong and bought a new boat. So here I am with a manual, a small amount of knowledge, and I can't figure out why this sucker won't run. I've charged the crap out of the battery and when I turn it over the flywheel rotates 2 - 3 times. To get it to turn over again I have to shut down then turn the key again. First thing I did was replace the plugs (I've got good compression) then pulled the lower leg (looks fine) and the starter is good. I've got the plugs out now and sometimes the flywheel turns a couple times and sometimes it'll roll over like crazy (like it should). I know I'm gonna have to start ripping and tearing but I'm hoping that it's something stupidly easy like an ignition wire that needs replacing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx Let me know if you need more info

Its sounds like your carbs need a good cleaning, Also make sure there's no water in your float bowls.

enrico Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kamdyn View Post

Its sounds like your carbs need a good cleaning, Also make sure there's no water in your float bowls.
    I hope there's no water in there, this sucker spent last winter in my backyard freezing his ass off

enrico Guest

It's also possible that this guy lied saying he was able to limp it to shore. Maybe he found out it was the pistons or something and how much it would cost and said f%$* it.

Kamdyn Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by enrico View Post
    It's also possible that this guy lied saying he was able to limp it to shore. Maybe he found out it was the pistons or something and how much it would cost and said f%$* it.
    If your getting good compression than your pistons are okay, The last owner probably didnt want to drop over 500 dollars to clean the carbs, Because that will cost you that much. But when its done it will run like a champ you'll notice it right away, Plus It will start up right away. goodluck with your boat my friend

enrico Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kamdyn View Post
    If your getting good compression than your pistons are okay, The last owner probably didnt want to drop over 500 dollars to clean the carbs, Because that will cost you that much. But when its done it will run like a champ you'll notice it right away, Plus It will start up right away. goodluck with your boat my friend
    Thx Kamdyn, I'm actually heading off to work for a bit...8 months since I last worked (and people think the oilpatch is all gravy, damn recession / global warming / alberta royalty revue) but when I get back I'll rip and tear and report back

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,462x in 1,065 Posts

How did you test the compression if it wont turn over more than 2-3 times ? Can you turn the flywheel with the plugs removed?

enrico Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StanW View Post
    How did you test the compression if it wont turn over more than 2-3 times ? Can you turn the flywheel with the plugs removed?
    Flywheel turns like a bastard without the plugs in. Oddly though, sometimes I'll. only get those few turns, then sometimes it'll keep going. That made me wonder if it could have something to do with an ignition wire??

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,462x in 1,065 Posts

There is nothing electrical that should really prevent the motor from turning over... Unless the stator is doing something weird. Easy to check out - just requires an ohm meter. Measure fast and low idle .

enrico Guest

I should've bought a kayak...way easier to figure out, but a bitch to ski behind

oak Guest

I know this thread has quite a bit of age on it. Did you ever get this rig figured out?

enrico Guest

haven't had a chance to yet, work is consuming my life (no complaining though)

Night Prowler Guest

check all your electrical connections and clean them well........good place to start simple.....

oak Guest

Glad to hear you have work.

Was just wondering if you'd had a chance to check this rig out any further? Once you get it cranking it's likely to need the carbs cleaned if it's been sitting for very long. Those old inline six's were great engines and will run forever.

enrico Guest

Thanks for the responses and great suggestions guys, unfortunately I've been working tons and only get home to see what the house looks like every once in a while (not a bad problem to have I guess). I just hope I can get to playing with this sucker before the snow starts flying here since there doesn't seem to be any end to the work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast