Thread: Samsung DV203AES

testv Guest

Default Samsung DV203AES

Having issues with my Samsung DV203AES dryer that is slightly more than a year old. It powers up and all display is visible , even factory settings are alright. When I try to start it the drum does not move at all. There is no error code. Door is closed shut, lint filter and passageway is all clean as well.

Being just out of warranty, I would like some assistance as to troubleshoot the issue. Was told it could be the motor. Does anyone has any schematic on removal and installation.

Appreciate all your help. Thanks.
    Last edited by anyonomus; 09-01-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,391x in 494 Posts

Check the breakers (fuses) in the electrical panel.??

testv Guest

The 30A breaker was reset and unit was unplugged for 10 seconds. Unit was plugged in again and all display and dial working fine. Just when you press the start button, the drum will not spin.

BobbyDriscol Guest

Have the same dryer, and today was drying a queen sized comforter and the dryer issued a few unique sounds and stopped working like yours is doing. Been looking around for answers to what it could be but I have a feeling that the motor has burned out. There doesn't appear to be a fuse on the motor assembly but you can take a look yourself.

Here's the steps:

-- in back where the vent comes out there's 4 screws
    -- remove the screws and you'll see the motor, belt and drum base
    -- inspect the belt -- if your belt broken it'll be obvious from there (the belt is cheap and thin on mine -- and looks like it has wear and tear after only a year but it hasn't broken on mine)
    -- if the belt is broken there is a cut off switch which will be stopping the dryer from starting.
    -- if the belt isn't broken then I'm assuming that the motor has either burned out or there's a fuse hidden from view that has been thrown / an overload switch has fired. Can't see any of those elements from the access panel so I'm calling for service.

You'll get an idea on whether it's a small or large issue from that panel. The vent cover goes back on easily so you can take a peek, see if it's the belt or the motor (like mine I"m assuming).

I have to say that I thought Samsung made good stuff until looking into this unit today -- can't believe I paid $400 for something so cheaply made. The unit this one replaced was a 15 year old maytag that worked great but looked terrible darn it.

BobbyDriscol Guest

Here's sears parts list if you need it later. Tell me if any of this helped and what the issued turns out to be and I'll do the same if the repair man figures it out.
    Hxxp://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Samsung-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-DV203AESXAA/1482/0151200
    Last edited by anyonomus; 09-05-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: NO live links ..

testv Guest

Really appreciate the more detailed response in troubleshooting. I am not home right now, but will look into tonight or tomorrow night and post my findings. Once again, thank you.

testv Guest

Was able to opened it up and seems like the spring came loose so the belt is loose as well. Not sure if motor is fine or not. Still trying to figure out where the spring and belt runs. Any chance you can snap me some pics. BobbyDriscol? Thanks.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 188x in 58 Posts
    Items treasure chest
Gift received at 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM from clarkBENT

There should be a switch on the belt tension bracket that if the tension is off the belt it wont allow the motor to run.. Most front loaders have that
    so you will need to find what spring broke and fix it first to determine if the motor is bad.
    Our House rules are found Here

testv Guest

The spring seems to be fine but not sure what would hold the bracket up to provide tension to the belt. Thanks.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 188x in 58 Posts
    Items treasure chest

The belt is sized to fit around the drum and tension pulley if it is loose.You may have a dropped wheel that the drum rides on.I'm not a appliance tech but have worked on a few of the front loaders..There is also a gear on the motor that may have came off..There are a few possibility's that could be the problem.I don't think the motor is bad from what you are describing.
    The belt may be stretched.
    You could have a bad wheel under the drum
    or the belt popped of one of the pulleys it goes around.
    I have looked around for a service manual for you dryer...Could only find one you have to pay for..

testv Guest

Finally got the belt figured out. It was a screw tap that was broken that collapsed the spring and the belt became loose. The screw-tap is item 8 on this link. Have just press the start button and it runs; as I stuck a screw in place for now. Thanks everyone for helping out.

hxxp://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Samsung-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-DV203AESXAA/1482/0151200/50038924/00005?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 188x in 58 Posts
    Items treasure chest

Quote Originally Posted by testv View Post
    Finally got the belt figured out. It was a screw tap that was broken that collapsed the spring and the belt became loose. The screw-tap is item 8 on this link. Have just press the start button and it runs; as I stuck a screw in place for now. Thanks everyone for helping out.

hxxp://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Samsung-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-DV203AESXAA/1482/0151200/50038924/00005?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=
    Great to hear you got it figured out..