Thread: Kenmore Stove Displays F1 or SD

jriver309 Guest

Post Kenmore Stove Displays F1 or SD

I have a Kenmore stove and on the display it will will give either a F1 or SD or even ERR on the display and the oven will not work even though on the display it shows its on. I shut power off and that fixed it for a time but it would then start beeping at random hours trying to self clean or turn on the oven. Now the oven will not turn on at all, it is a model 790.794.23601 serial number VF72641824. Any and all help deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

The F1 code indicates a bad (or going bad) electronic control module, this can be replaced, but you would need to have a few skills to safely get the oven front apart to remove and replace the module.

Do you have a manual on that oven with part location, dis-assembly instructions and part numbers?

If you don't feel like you can do this then I would call Sears and have them come and fix it.
    Also be sure to disconnect it from the main AC power before working on anything inside the oven it's self.
    ♫♫♫ I知 a lumberjack and I知 OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

jriver309 Guest

Thanks Terryl for your response, I do not have a manual for this stove. I am not the most skillfull person but I have been great at taking things apart, getting them together to work ok so so. I brought this from Sears and had them out for this and my washer at same time. Of course my stove was like 35 days out of warranty and the price they quoted just to look at it plus possible repairs was nearly what I paid new for unit. So like many trying to save where I can.

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Most likely a sensitive control panel as Terryl mentioned.Try unplugging the stove for a little bit and then plug it back in,just an idea..GL
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

The best thing that can be done is to look for a service manual for your oven on line, this will have the part number you need, then you can order a new board from Sears parts department.

Not much can be done to this board to fix it without a schematic and replacement parts, so it's best to buy a new board.

"If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

jriver309 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Toddr View Post
    Most likely a sensitive control panel as Terryl mentioned.Try unplugging the stove for a little bit and then plug it back in,just an idea..GL

Hey Toddr I have quite a few times at first it would start working again but no more and I really miss using the oven.

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by jriver309 View Post
    Hey Toddr I have quite a few times at first it would start working again but no more and I really miss using the oven.
    I think Terryl's advice is your only option.I have read that some people have swapped out that control panel more than once.GE could be the maker of your appliance..
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

Pollypurabred Guest

I enter your model number (Kenmore model 790.794.23601) into Bing search (use whatever search engine your comfortable with) and this is what I found.
    Code:
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=Kenmore+model+790.794.23601&x=109&y=17&form=MSNL14&qs=n&sk=
    Lot to read through but the info is out there.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

OK after some checking with a local repair guy it looks like that model has a problem with gobbling up control boards, I would do a search around the web and print out some of the complaints on this unit, then go slam Sears with them, see if they will fix it under warranty again, if not then tell them your filling a complaint at the federal level, then fill this out and see what goes on.

Code:
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php
    Also a link to the BBB.

Code:
    http://www.bbb.org/chicago/business-reviews/department-stores/sears-holdings-corporation-in-hoffman-estates-il-5305
    Also some TV stations have a "We're on your side" type of complaint resolution show, try them. (Channel 7 in San Francisco has the "7 on your side" show)

But it things don't get done soon your still out the use of the oven, and if the power down power up routine doesn't fix the problem any more then the only thing that will is a new board, or a new oven, then file a big rip-off complaint with the local BBB or other county/state consumer protection board, I would then get a different make and model of oven and save the old one for evidence.
    Last edited by Terryl; 10-02-2011 at 07:03 PM.

"Can you HIDE it"?

jriver309 Guest

Thanks Terryl, the oven no longer works so i must do something. I did several searches and could not find any complaints but I will call Sears again, this unit is not so old to be doing this and it sucks.

Pollypurabred Guest

Great follow up Terryl.....thanks for catching my backside.....appreciate.

jriver309 please let us know, especially for others, what your finally solution is.

jriver309 Guest

Well quick update, Sears says they have no problems with these stoves at all and if there was it's Kenmores problem not theirs, but will gladly offer interest free terms on a replacement. Kenmore says we thank you for contacting us we will advise those necessary and to consider a newer model with enhanced features.

Pollypurabred Guest

Found the user manual if it will help you.
    Code:
    http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/owner_manuals/8793/KENMORE-ELITE-Free-Standing-Gas-L0610357?brand_name_search=Kenmore+model+79079423601