Thread: Home Theatre room

rooster60 Guest

Default Home Theatre room

I got a question.
    Building a home theatre room in the basement and going to have a 7.1 set up as far as speakers go.
    No someone was telling me about watching for echo in the sound when I do the room.
    The ceiling will have insulation so sound will not travel to upstairs and the other walls will be soundproof as well.
    Now the flooring is where I am having an issue.
    The wife wants ceramic tile and I want carpet for the very reason that the sound will be absorbed and no echo would happen.
    Any suggestions?
    Does it matter if the floor is carpet or not? Is the echo thing just a myth?

dishuser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rooster60 View Post
    I got a question.
    Building a home theatre room in the basement and going to have a 7.1 set up as far as speakers go.
    No someone was telling me about watching for echo in the sound when I do the room.
    The ceiling will have insulation so sound will not travel to upstairs and the other walls will be soundproof as well.
    Now the flooring is where I am having an issue.
    The wife wants ceramic tile and I want carpet for the very reason that the sound will be absorbed and no echo would happen.
    Any suggestions?
    Does it matter if the floor is carpet or not? Is the echo thing just a myth?
    don't use hardwood,laminate or tile

rooster60 Guest

So I take it that it will cause an echo?
    My original idea was to put burbur carpet.

dishuser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rooster60 View Post
    So I take it that it will cause an echo?
    My original idea was to put burbur carpet.
    go with original idea

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

The basic idea is that hard surfaces are bad... Putting ceramic tile in a home theater/music room would be a huge mistake, stick with a good carpet.

If you still can, I would insulate all of the walls as well, the hollow cavity could start to resonate with some frequencies. If you need to sound proof the ceiling, I would use Roxul instead of fiberglass, it does a much better job at blocking sound. After the room is built, if you find that you're getting an echo or reflection, you can use acoustic panels or bass traps to get rid of it. These are fairly easy to build yourself as well.
    Last edited by satchick; 10-26-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

rooster60 Guest

See, I knew that was the case. My many thanks for all of your help from everyone on here.
    I sound proofed the walls and ceiling so the noise does not go upstairs as the main living room is directly above the home theatre room.
    I went with a nice carpet for the flooring as well. Its taped on the cement in case I want to remove it quickly if I ever want to replace it without hassle.
    The room is wired for 7.1 set up as well so everything is good.

reelguy08 Guest

Default theater damping and problem solving

I build ,design and setup theaters as well as whole house systems.There is a very reasonable product out there called donna conda (not sure of the spelling).It is sold in 4x8 sheets ,i have used this as a base and covered it with foam and a heavy material.The speakers were inset into the material as well.Create a box behind the speakers with ranger board(all these products are reasonable)as well as some extra wood backing at the speaker site.I should have stated "in-wall" speakers were used.Half and half works well too(top 4' dry walled and bottom 4' the material etc.This can look great as well utilizing colors and stained wood set between the two.In the latter fabric prints streched and framed to look as a picture act great ad an acoustic dampening tool.Should you find however,with anything you use ,you have an echo......most of the 7.1 receiver/amplifiers have a compensator you will find in the "on screen menu"which allows you to adjust the sound thru a time correlation system(basically changes the speed of sound delivery to the side and rear speakers) allowing you to correct the echo effect.If you can rent a spectrum analizer,will allow you to be completely accurate....but the ear works as well for most !If you can find some good deals on silk plants strategically placed in the rear corners,will remove a lot of the "standing waves" and change the acoustics of the room dramatically.With not a whole lot of dollars but some good ideas and hard work.....you can make your theater shame most public theaters...i love mine for both movies as well as an audio "sound room"....it is the best "stress reliever" out there...!

buford is offline Sports Guru/Moderator/nfl football pool - week #3 - conference championships Winner
    cowboy stadium playing wii on the big screen
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 198x in 46 Posts

hmmm .... never heard of them. thanks for the info!!!!