Thread: whirlpool dryer won't tumble

ticktack Guest

Default whirlpool dryer won't tumble

asking for a friend. she said element heats up before pushing start button, and the drum doesn't tumble. could this be a bad timer.and a broken belt thanks for any help.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,036x in 1,728 Posts

I would have guessed a bad belt but the heating element puzzles me, It shouldn't heat up (fire hazard) before the start button is pushed so it may be a timer issue.
    You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

metalmaker Guest

It sounds like you have an electric version of this dryer but I don't think that should matter. I had the gas but I think the drum works the same. Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be the spring loaded pulley at the bottom of the drum had popped off, but on yours the belt could have broken. If it is the pulley, remove the bottom front cover of the dryer, it just pops off if you pry it. The pulley should be located on the bottom right side, it has been about 5 years since I fixed this, but I think from this point you should be able to tell if it has just popped off or the belt is broken. This all from memory, I don't have any diagrams, but I remember that it was fairly obvious to me. Hopefully it will be for you too and this helped. I did replace the belt once also, but had to take the whole front of the dryer off, that was a whole new ordeal. Good Luck!

knob Guest

depending on the age of the machine it is likely to be the motor relay in the console, or the start button/switch could be malfunctioning, or the motor could be shot, or the heater circuit could be shorting, and finally it could be a contact on the timer, lol....if you can find-out if the setting on the timer is on auto dry or timed dry.....is there a light inside and if so,if you push the door switch button does the light go off......does the motor hum or buzz.... unfortunately many dryers are wired a number of ways internally ....find out if the lint filter goes in the top of machine or inside of door or if the front face of machine looks like it is in 2 parts or one......of course it could be as simple as the belt coming off the idler pulley.....

knob Guest

"heats-up before pushing start button"??????That would have to be shorted heating circuit....do they leave it plugged-in?????that is weird.....does it still heat with the door open????? possibly stuck contact on timer....
    Last edited by knob; 11-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.

ticktack Guest

should have said turns timer on, element heats up even with door open, before she hits start button. sorry for bad description of problem. thanks for all the replies.

knob Guest

So,assuming, if when the timer is in the off position the heater stays off ....is there no sound at all?...the heater shouldn't even be on with the door open...???? the heater MUST be broken and shorting-out...