Thread: Picked up a new/used snowblower...

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

Default Picked up a new/used snowblower...

After living in the Florida Keys for many years, and Moving here to Michigan, I got a taste of Shoveling snow again last winter...
    I wasn't going to do that by hand again....I've been looking around and I found one yesterday , it fired right up, and got it for $100 , not knowing much about which one is better than another , I hope that I got one that will foot the bill for Michigan winter..

It's a Snapper SX 5200 E 20'' with a 5 HP motor , Auger style single stage

Did a little research last night, and haven't found much info except that I must have got a pretty good deal on the price, most , used, are going for around $150-$200

I don't know if it will "cut" through the snow if we get 8,9, or 12'' of snow .... I have read that some are for "light" snow, and some are for the "heavy" snow... any input from the members here...?

BPG~

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,462x in 1,065 Posts

5hp would be a light snow version altho seeing that itr's only 20" it will probably be adequate . If you get lots of snow in one sitting or if you get drifts you'll be making multiple passes . Can't beat the price - I wouldn't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth :thumbsup:

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

I only intent on using it for the sidewalks and driveway, don't mind making a few passes if need be, just looking to save my back from shoveling...lol

Thanks for the input ...

BPG~

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,944x in 802 Posts
    Items Crown Royal
Gift received at 01-01-2014, 09:55 PM from swanner
Message: Great Service and A Good Man...A Gift From Canada...

the one i have sounds similar. i use it for most of my driveway around my truck and the wifes suv. works great on fresh snow and will go through pretty deep stuff but not great for what the snow plow pushes in.
    i bought my new for 4 something so i'd say you'll be happy with yours at 100 bucks.
    good luck

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,256x in 7,929 Posts
    Items GreeceCanada

Sounds like you got a great deal BPG. I haven't decided to buy one or contract out the driveway yet. 5 hp is a bit small by our standards, most of the snowblowers at home depot here are in the 20s.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,462x in 1,065 Posts

Costa - save some money and have the kid exercise a bit .

Tubbs Guest

WOW, I must have missed you on the way down, I have property in the U.P. and left Illinois for Florida a year or so ago...

I'm done shoveling snow.

As for the snow blower you bought, That will work just fine, My brother has the same model and lives in Benton Harbor Michigan. They get a lot of snow... and his unit has preformed beautifully for the last 5 years..... Ya you go a great deal and a great snow blower.....

FUNNY, I still have my F-150 in the garage down here in Florida with a western snow plow on the front of it!! ( the frame)
    Peeps downhere have no idea what it is!!
    (the plow part is in Illinois)
    Last edited by Tubbs; 11-21-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

if you use electric and do not have too much area to do, you can do layers to remove deeper snow because electric is light enough to maneuver.