Thread: PS3 used as FTA receiver?

rooster60 Guest

Default PS3 used as FTA receiver?

A buddy of mine was looking at getting a Playstation 3 game console because he did hear some place that its possible to use it as a receiver. Is this true?
    I told him I would post on this site to see if anyone knew about it.
    He figures since it does everything else, blu ray, internet, games, movies, etc. Why not.
    Please advise and thanks ahead of time.

dells Guest

would be nice but not going to happen...

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Yes it would be nice but it doesn't have a satellite de-modulator card inside, nor anyway to power an LNB.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

THEGAME15 Guest

I wouldn't exactly call it an FTA receiver, but there is a home-brew program called Showtime for Jailbroken PS3's on firmware 3.41/3.55. It's a plugin called WatchTV and if you have it setup correctly you can watch a few major networks on it. Its basically streaming from websites directly to your PS3 without all the ads. It can be quite convenient for some.

777aaron Guest

Just about any DLNA device running playon and a good script is better than an fta receiver.As noted above you would need to jailbreak a PS3 to be able to watch the good stuff because SONY sucky ass copy protection won't let you stream anything that resembles a sony dvd.I still love my fta boxs,but the fact is nothing beats being able to watch anything you want anytime you want.If your friend is interested in this tell him to forget the PS3 and save his money and check out WDTV,roku,boxee,or any of the others.A pretty good rule of thumb is if it can stream netflix it will work.

djohn Guest

No way. That sounds totally wrong.

Highwayman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by THEGAME15 View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call it an FTA receiver, but there is a home-brew program called Showtime for Jailbroken PS3's on firmware 3.41/3.55. It's a plugin called WatchTV and if you have it setup correctly you can watch a few major networks on it. Its basically streaming from websites directly to your PS3 without all the ads. It can be quite convenient for some.
    Or you could use Sharkhunters ps3 media build and stream rtmp links like Hbo Cinemax ESPN`s abc nbc fox etc
    as well as XBMC and Navi-x.