Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: red ring of death

buddymond Guest

Default red ring of death

anybody know of a reliable source for repair,that doesnt charge ms outrageous prices???

swingbozo Guest

If you haven't messed with your box, it's best to send it to Microsoft.

DO NOT DO the "throw the box under a bunch of towels" approach that is flying around on you tube.

If you have messed with your box, there are some really good step by step videos on how to permanently fix this that involve tearing the box apart, cleaning off the "goo" from the chips, doing the overheat reset while the box is actually apart, replacing the goo, possibly adding some screws/washers? and putting the box back together again. It's in like 8 parts. I researched this for some time for a friend of mine till I found out he could still send his box back in. I told him to just send it in.

andyb2 Guest

If its not modded just send it back.If it is modded then you need to fix the heat sinks.

Here is a pdf that THINK-O posted on another site.Depending on the age of your xbox it should work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,519x in 1,668 Posts
    Items Crown Royal
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM from clarkBENT

Posting a general area where you live helps

popcorn1 Guest

most people send it to microsoft thats what i would do goodluck fixing the red ring of death

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buddymond View Post
    anybody know of a reliable source for repair,that doesnt charge ms outrageous prices???
    If your Xbox is still under warranty (which I think has been extended to three years because of this known design flaw) send it back to Microsoft, as there is a tamper proof sticker inside that will void the warranty once tampered with.

If your warranty has ran out, and you want to try to repair it yourself, follow this YouTube video to the "T". Best one out there I have found...

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/lawdawg0931?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/u/5/7F6iKy8ALOQ
    ....it is a six part video and gives you step-by-step on how to fix it.

poloros Guest

I have fix a few myself and I can help you too.

ssj92 Guest

Send it to Microsoft if you still have warranty. If not, you can buy a $20 X-clamp fix. This fix only lasted me 2 months. In the 2 months I had to apply the fix 3 times. So first see if you have warranty or not. My 360 is just sitting here with the rrod. Every-time I apply the fix now, it only lasts 1-2 minutes so I'm guessing it's done for. So make sure you use the X-clamp fix as a last resort.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssj92 View Post
    Send it to Microsoft if you still have warranty. If not, you can buy a $20 X-clamp fix. This fix only lasted me 2 months. In the 2 months I had to apply the fix 3 times. So first see if you have warranty or not. My 360 is just sitting here with the rrod. Every-time I apply the fix now, it only lasts 1-2 minutes so I'm guessing it's done for. So make sure you use the X-clamp fix as a last resort.
    Not sure what this $20 X-clamp fix is that you speak of, and what they promise you for a fix, but I can tell you that the biggest issue here is that the main processor, and video processor chips become "unsoldered" from the PC board, due to poor design of the cooling, in conjuction with the factory installed X-clamps.

In other words the X-clamps apply too much pressure against the main processor, and video processor chips thus seperating the solder joints of these chips after prolonged exposure to heat from the main processor, and video processor chips.

The only good way to repair this problem is to 1) remove the X-clamps and through them in the trash 2) heat the main PC board with a heat gun (higher temps than a hair dryer) to resolder the joints, and releave the stress on the main PC board, and 3) remount the main processor, and video processor chips heatsinks with screws and standoffs versus the X-clamps.

I did a lot of research on this subject before repairing the one I fixed, and found the the You-Tube video linked above, in conjunction with the heat gun technique worked great for me. As far as I know that X-box still works today.

ssj92 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dish Doctor View Post
    Not sure what this $20 X-clamp fix is that you speak of, and what they promise you for a fix, but I can tell you that the biggest issue here is that the main processor, and video processor chips become "unsoldered" from the PC board, due to poor design of the cooling, in conjuction with the factory installed X-clamps.

In other words the X-clamps apply too much pressure against the main processor, and video processor chips thus seperating the solder joints of these chips after prolonged exposure to heat from the main processor, and video processor chips.

The only good way to repair this problem is to 1) remove the X-clamps and through them in the trash 2) heat the main PC board with a heat gun (higher temps than a hair dryer) to resolder the joints, and releave the stress on the main PC board, and 3) remount the main processor, and video processor chips heatsinks with screws and standoffs versus the X-clamps.

I did a lot of research on this subject before repairing the one I fixed, and found the the You-Tube video linked above, in conjunction with the heat gun technique worked great for me. As far as I know that X-box still works today.
    Yeah. The X-Clamp fix is pretty much a bottle of ArtiClean 1 Thermal Material Remover, ArtiClean 2 Thermal Surface Purifier, Articsilver 5 thermal paste, and screws and standoffs. You remove the thermal paste that microsoft applied with #1 then clean the surface with #2. You then use the ArticSilver 5 thermal paste and resit the gpu and cpu using the screws and standoffs. A heat gun with this method just like you said would help a lot. I didn't have a heat gun so I couldn't reheat my chips. That is probably why mine stopped working again.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssj92 View Post
    Yeah. The X-Clamp fix is pretty much a bottle of ArtiClean 1 Thermal Material Remover, ArtiClean 2 Thermal Surface Purifier, Articsilver 5 thermal paste, and screws and standoffs. You remove the thermal paste that microsoft applied with #1 then clean the surface with #2. You then use the ArticSilver 5 thermal paste and resit the gpu and cpu using the screws and standoffs. A heat gun with this method just like you said would help a lot. I didn't have a heat gun so I couldn't reheat my chips. That is probably why mine stopped working again.
    Actaully the link to the video I posted above, does not include using the heat gun trick, but uses the chips own heat to resolder themselves. It does work as I tried it with the one I fixed here, but wanted that extra assurance, and did the heat gun trick too.

dannyswitzer Guest

ring of death actually has a 3 year warantee on it through microsoft. call microsoft first before you do anything to get it covered.....\

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

any news on this, as I did as DishDoctor posted and it worked for the one that I fixed, btw, how many rings does it have buddymond ?

Don't do the towel trick! ppl claim that works, but you can easily fry your xbox..

BPG~

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpineguy View Post
    any news on this, as I did as DishDoctor posted and it worked for the one that I fixed, btw, how many rings does it have buddymond ?

Don't do the towel trick! ppl claim that works, but you can easily fry your xbox..

BPG~
    That is correct, DO NOT do the towel trick....

That is a tempory fix that works about none of the time, and if too much water leaks from the towel and into your Xbox, then your done!

unloopme Guest

Craigslist is a great place to find local xbox repair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast