Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore Elite Fridge warm but freezer still freezing

jriver309 Guest

Post Kenmore Elite Fridge warm but freezer still freezing

Hi my fridge is warm but the freezer is still freezing, I dont hear the fan blowing. it is a model 106.74906401 serial# ES5222834 manufactured 12/2005 Any help deeply appreciated. Thanks

Night_Predator Guest

It probably is not defrosting. I looked up the model number that you gave and could not find it on the Kenmore parts website. Please repost the model number again. To check:

1. Unplug for safety
    2. Remove everything for the freezer including shelves.
    3. Remove rear panel. Usually ¼ inch head bolts.
    4. If you have a build up of ice, use a hair dryer to clear ice. Don’t use anything to pick at the ice you may damage the coils.
    5. After ice is removed check the heating element for signs of damage or water inside. Damage can be just the tub looking black with burnt look on end.
    6. Check the Thermostat switch for damage.
    7. Check that Fan is functioning.

You can find pictures and schematics of each of the above components on line at Kenmore parts. These are usually the problem components when you have a cold freezer and a warm fridge. Feel free to PM me to let me know you have posted more here and I will address anything further in this thread.
    Last edited by Night_Predator; 12-18-2011 at 08:17 PM.

johnwayne_1 Guest

If doesnt need defrosted make sure no one turned knob and closed air frome freezer going to the refrig side. Also a big culprit and lot of people dont think about is making sure light shuts off when closing door. Light should go off aroung 1/4" before door seals. Have seen alot of them where kids have broken button and light stay on.

jriver309 Guest

I double checked and here is a picture of it

Photo0222.jpg

Pollypurabred Guest

Found this on web. To search enter the total name "Kenmore Elite 106.74906401". you can try the site or just search for others.
    Code:
    http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/kenmore/106.html

Night_Predator Guest

Thanks Polly that’s a good website. I looked up few models around here but I wasn’t able to find Jriver’s. Its very weird, I can’t fund it on Kenmore or Sears website’s. And with him putting the digital photo of it we know it’s the right model number. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollypurabred View Post
    Found this on web. To search enter the total name "Kenmore Elite 106.74906401". you can try the site or just search for others.
    Code:
    http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/kenmore/106.html

Pollypurabred Guest

Okay this is opposite of normal problem but generally there is what is called a clock; a 8 or 12 hour "clock" that schedules the defrost schedule.

This does not appear to be your problem but for $10-30 bucks, worth a try. Generally located under the frig, you will find a circular device, 1-3" in diameter, with two wire connected.

eyeamok Guest

It probably does not have a defrost timer and instead has an advanced defrost control board, needless to say The Heaters were and are weak in these units, and are intermittent. Replace the Heater in the Freezer Coils and it will be fixed.

Night_Predator Guest

Had that problem myself Eye. I have replaced the element three times but the last time the replacement was upgraded to a 4 tube heater form a 2 tube. Haven't had a problem since.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,666x in 3,246 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

I had a problem like this one time, it was after a power surge took out the controller board (didn't know till the milk turned warm) the freezer worked fine the fridge side was warm, turns out the controller thought the fridge side was too cold and kicked the cooling off to that side.

Replaced the board and things went back to normal, I also bought a surge protector for the refrigerator.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,000x in 1,596 Posts
    Items Some beer
Gift received at 07-14-2013, 03:14 AM from nobody

Have one on me ........A Beer
Gift received at 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM from ICEMAN
Gift received at 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM from clarkBENTDevil

Damm electronics , too complicated .. I threw out my fridge and went back to the good old reliable Icebox..

cmasjoe Guest

Had the same problem a month ago on my side by side refrigerator. I took everything out of freezer and unpluged it for about a DAY and plugged it back in and everything worked fine. GOOD LUCK

swingbozo Guest

Had a problem myself with frost. The inlet for the ice cube tray froze! Same fix though, take out stuff and let the fridge defrost for a day. Once I figured it out a few minutes with a hair dryer fixed it the next time it froze up.

In all seriousness though, if your fridge is over 5 years old junk it and get a new one. Old fridges are power wasting monsters.

Night_Predator Guest

But what’s the underlying cause of it freezing up?

Quote Originally Posted by swingbozo View Post
    Had a problem myself with frost. The inlet for the ice cube tray froze! Same fix though, take out stuff and let the fridge defrost for a day. Once I figured it out a few minutes with a hair dryer fixed it the next time it froze up.

In all seriousness though, if your fridge is over 5 years old junk it and get a new one. Old fridges are power wasting monsters.

Pollypurabred Guest

Seems like with all these heating/defrost elements being undersized, that you guys should file a class action suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast