Thread: downrigger weights

cozumel111 Guest

Default downrigger weights

hi guys, i don't know how many of you use downriggers, but i just had 2 custom made at the welding shop i use. he does mostly boat stainless. t- tops, towers, ect. i have 2 large cannon power downriggers to use with them. mostly trolling at 250-300 deet down at 200 rpm's. what do you think ? tight lines

cozumel111 Guest

forgot to inc. the photos, island time again.[IMG][/IMG]Attachment 12918Attachment 12919Attachment 12920Attachment 12921

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,462x in 1,065 Posts

250 - 300 feet is pretty deep , guess that's deep sea fishing ? What weight canon balls are you using at that depth ?

cozumel111 Guest

cannon balls ????? look at the pic, thats what i have custom made. no old balls. new area. divers are the new and better way to fish, at 250 or 300, it just swims with the flow of the water, up and down, and side to side. like a fish. if you fish, think like a fish. i have 2 fish finders, one sine scan, quad beam, humminbird, the other is a furuno color,8 inch screen,1000 mz tied to my furuno radar.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,189x in 646 Posts

Nice setup coz but can u catch fish and the weight of them are ?

Special thanks to TPB for the sig

<")))>< ><((((º> ¸ <")))><.·´¯><((((º>`·..·´¯><((((º>`·.´¯><((((º>`·. ´¯><((((º>`·´¯><((((º> <")))><

cozumel111 Guest

one is 2 lb. larger is 7 lb. as they plane, don't need a lot of weight like a ball. 4 days ago got a 40 lb. dolfin. things are starting to run here as the water is wamer down here. just like you guys in ca.. come down here for the warm waters during the winter. and the diving is great. we don't always go fishing.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,189x in 646 Posts

that's quite lite for that depth of water

Special thanks to TPB for the sig

<")))>< ><((((º> ¸ <")))><.·´¯><((((º>`·..·´¯><((((º>`·.´¯><((((º>`·. ´¯><((((º>`·´¯><((((º> <")))><

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,462x in 1,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cozumel111 View Post
    cannon balls ????? look at the pic, thats what i have custom made. no old balls. new area. divers are the new and better way to fish, at 250 or 300, it just swims with the flow of the water, up and down, and side to side. like a fish. if you fish, think like a fish. i have 2 fish finders, one sine scan, quad beam, humminbird, the other is a furuno color,8 inch screen,1000 mz tied to my furuno radar.
    'Cannon balls' was the generic term used to describe the blob of lead one would hang on their downrigger line to make the lure go down to a desired depth - guess I'm not keeping up with technology .

So back to my original question - what does it take to make your new high-tech whatever stay lets say at 275 feet (give or take 10 feet)? Trying to think like a fish here.

cozumel111 Guest

Attachment 12933 to be at about 250 ft., you have to have about 350 or more ss cable out to your planner. a ball does not cut through the water as well as a planner. the wings and shape of the planner cut through the water,and also move with the water currents,side to side, up and down, pulling your bait along somewhat as a fish would swim.the faster your boat goes, the higher the lead ball rises, whereas,with a planner, the faster you go, the deeper it planes. using the holes drilled in the top fin, you can move your downrigger clip to so the planner takes a deeoer angle too. the small,2lb planner i use for around 50 feet for dolphin. the other is good for tuna,and larger fifh, swimming deeper. the small one cost me $25. and the jet plane one,as i call it, was $60.. not bad for custom stainless.