Thread: Fridge warm but freezer still freezing? Read This.

LoginFreak Guest

Default Fridge warm but freezer still freezing? Read This.

Hello to all members.

Here is a post to continue my teachings on appliances.
    This one will be about the fridge getting warm but the freezer still freezing.
    Most people will have this problem at one time or another.
    Because all fridges will have one of the defrost parts fail. Normally in the 10 to 12 year range.

I will start with the symptoms. And work on to the repairs.
    This time I will talk about side by side fridges Because I only have a picture of an over frosted side/side fridge.
    It's posted below.
    overfrosting picture.JPG

It will look the same from one to another. So this should work for all. But i'll update with new pictures as soon as I go on a call with that problem.

The only difference will be that the coils, fan, thermostat, and defrost heater will be positioned differently.

The symptoms are...
    If you find the fridge seems to be getting warm. And the freezer still works.
    And there might be frost on the back panel in the freezer.
    And sometimes the ice build up will stop the fan.
    This could be the problem.
    Often times people will defrost the fridge and then turn it back on to make it work again.
    But there is a cure for the problem.

What happens is the coils in the freezer get over frosted and then the fan cannot pull enough cold air to cool the fridge. But because there is so much frost or ice on the coils the freezer stays cold.
    It's very common on most brands of fridges.

One of three parts could have failed.
    On the side by sides.
    The most common is the defrost heater.
    It's a glass tube with a spring inside that heats up to melt the frost on the cooling lines.
    There is a defrost timer that comes on every 6-8-10 hours depending on the timer.
    When it goes into defrost mode. It gives power first to the defrost thermostat in the freezer.
    Then if the defrost thermostat is good the heater will get hot and melt the frost buildup behind the panel in the freezer.

The easiest way to know if you have this problem is first to UNPLUG the fridge.
    Then remove the back panel in the freezer.
    You will have to take all the shelves out or at least the bottom ones.
    And on some models you have to remove the sliders that the bins slide on.
    Depends on the model.

After the panel is off you will see frost on the coils that might look like the picture I have below.
    Sometimes the frost comes through the back panel and you can see it without taking the panel off.
    But in order to find the problem you will have to take the panel off..

Now you will have to melt all the snow/ice to be able to see the parts.
    But if you have a multimeter that has continuity reading on it.
    Then you can test the defrost thermostat and element.

You will have to unplug the wires to be able to test the parts.
    If the multimeter beeps then the part is good.

I have two pictures of the thermostat but I forgot to take one of the element... sorry will try and get one soon..
    The thermostat normally will have blue on one side.
    It should be flat like in the picture.
    If it sticks out.
    then it's not good. And should be replaced.
    If it doesn't stick out you will have to test it with the meter to see if there's continuity.

The element can be tested with continuity. If the meter beeps it's still should be good.
    But when it comes to glass heaters like most of the side by side fridges... you are better to look at it.
    If it's black and green looking and you can't see the spring inside it might not be generating enough heat.

Here is a picture of a maytag defrost element. Just so you know what they look like. They are the same for all makes.. Just have different sizes and covers.
    If it's really black or green.. chances are it's the problem.

If everything looks good in the freezer then the defrost timer could be the problem.
    It's not the easiest thing to find.
    They always seem to put them in different spots.
    So I would need a model number to try and help to find it.
    I'll post a picture of what it looks like.

The trick is to turn it clock wise with a flat screwdriver SLOWLY.
    And when it clicks that means you are in defrost. But don't turn too fast you'll go past it.

But you have to have the fridge turned on and everything plugged in to test this.
    And it has to be cold enough in the freezer for the thermostat to be closed.
    If it's full of frost in the freezer you will be able to test this.

Some models put the timer under the fridge in the front.
    Others in the back on the frame behind the back panel on the left or right.
    Or others put them in the fridge right under the cover that covers the thermostat in the front on the fridge at the top.
    If you can't find it post your model number and I'll do what I can to try and find it.

If you do not feel comfortable with something then don't do it!
    Call someone and don't take any chances.
    But if you have the fridge unplugged there is no chance of shock.
    So you can at least have a look.

I'm sorry for not having more pictures.. I wasn't expecting to write this so soon.. But since I have to keep busy right now Here it is And I'll add pictures the next time I'm on one of these calls.

If you have any questions on this topic start a thread and Post your brand name and model number.
    And if you can post some pictures they always help.
    Hope this helps some understand why the fridge might be warm.
    Or what was done when the last repair guy was over to fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images