Well I've been meaning to make this post for a little while but been very busy..

I've been going to many many houses that now have an ALL fridge and ALL freezer in the kitchen or just the All fridge..

And many of them only have the fridges for 5 years and then the compressors burn out.

Now there were a few brands that would give 10 years warranty on the compressor.

These brands are Woods, General and Amana when amana used to make them..

Nowadays Amana does not make an all fridge and freezer.. At least not for the canadian public.

And Both Woods and General have bumped there warranties down to 1 year.

Most don't ask why.. Because they are not told.. But it's pretty obvious why the warranties are dropping to much..

The new compressors are not like the old ones were.
They run on R134a Refrigerant and they run much hotter than the old ones.
And so most fridges that have two doors will have a fan that cools the compressor down and dissipates the heat off the Condenser lines.(black lines that used to be on the back of the fridge.)

Now most All fridges Do Not have these fans to cool the compressor down.
So it just keeps getting hotter and hotter as it runs until it shuts down.
And if there isn't enough in the fridge to keep the cold the fridge will run more and the compressor won't have enough time to cool down properly.

That is what happens with most fridges that fail.
But it's not only because there is not enough stuff in the fridge..
I have found that the new fridge walls do not hold in the cold like the old ones did.
And just the fact that they run as hot as they do with no fan..

So what does this mean for the fate of All Fridges?

It's not looking too good for most All fridges.. Unless they find a way to cut down the run time and still get the same cooling.. But there is one thing that can be done to help it last longer.
Not something any salesmen will ever mention because it's not mentioned by the manufactures..

Well for now What I have been recommending is that you purchase a fan that is designed for these fridges.
I will work on getting a part number and picture by tomorrow..
I didn't think about it and for now cannot get into the shop because the boss has my keys. lol

here is a post that I did about the same thing but worded differently to explain about the importance of the fan.

The new compressors also run a lot hotter than the old ones.
Most new fridges that have a freezer and fridge will have a fan that cools the compressor down.. That is because it gets very hot and because the black lines are under the fridge.

Most ALL fridges do not have this fan to cool the compressor.
So I have been noticing that the newer ALL fridges are not lasting like the older ones would.
This is because the compressor gets too hot too often and burn out.

It's not worth replacing the compressor due to the price of the parts and labor. Normally it ends up being more than half the price of a new fridge.
And then there is always a chance another part can fail and you'd be into more money if that happens..

Now I just said it's not worth replacing the compressor..
But I have to add.. This always depends on the customer and the cost of the fridge in question.. Some people love their fridge and want it repaired.
Well then by all means repair it! The fridge will still last for quite a while.
But there will be other problems to come after some time.
And other times it's a very expensive fridge and so the cost of repair is worth while.. So don't let me push you away from repairing.. Just make sure it's the best decision for you.

One thing that I have seen some people do is purchase a fan that has a temperature probe to make it turn on.
They are made for this use. You put the fan behind the fridge and then have to drill a small hole through the fridge..

Of course that part you have to be sure that there are NO COOLING LINES WHERE YOU ARE DRILLING. OTHER WISE THE FRIDGE WILL BE RUINED UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN REPAIR SYSTEMS.

After the probe is installed to specs like it's said on the pages that come with it.
Others plug into the power going to the compressor..

Either way you have to read and understand the instructions Before attempting this install..

If you cannot find these fans then trying a regular fan can also work..
This is for TESTING Only. Just to see if it helps take away any strange noises or helps reduce the heat.
I know it's impractical with a regular fan because the fridge has to be pulled out a bit and you have to watch the fan unless you put it on a timer to run for 4 hours then give 2 hour intervals between run times..

If you have any questions about this subject feel free to ask.
Please try and post a brand and model number if it's a specific question..