Hello to all members.

Here is a post on things that most people should know about their dryers.
I'm sure I'll think of more but right now this will do.
I'll start with the dryer since it was the first to come up with a problem that isn't fixed with minor adjustments. ;o)

Lets start with the basics.
Most dryers have something called the Automatic Cycle.
This cycle uses a sensor which advances the timer when ever the Element turns off, And keeps advancing until the element turns back on.
Thus giving you the perfect dry time for every load.

Every dryer cycles from one temperature to another. Which means the element is not on all the time.
Most on normal will be from 130 to 160 degree F. Might be 10 higher on some models.
Most on permapress will be from 125 to 150 degree F. Might be 10 higher on some models.
Most on Delicate will be from 120 to 145 degree F. Usualy perfect but have seen it higher on some.
One way to tell is if you have an Electronic thermostat and take the vent off the dryer. Turn it on and put the thermostat probe in the vent and see where is goes.

Ok now to the maintenance part of it.
Most vents were installed quite a few years back, And haven't been looked at for almost as long as they've been installed. So the first thing is CHECK YOUR VENT. It should be done once a year to make sure no small animals got in a made a nest, which could block the vent and Cause major problems to the dryer and if it's not fixed could cause a part to fail.
I've seen many vents which had bird nests that were there for a few years and finally blocked the vent completely.

If you have a plastic white flex vent then I would recommend to change it right away. Even if there is no problem with the dryer. Aluminum flex vent has a liner which make for no ridges inside the vent. The plastic vent has ridges which catch the lint. And if you can try and get the solid metal vent pipe 4" in diameter is your best bet with 90 degree elbows in every bend. If you do this you will never have problems with the vent again.

Once the vent is all fixed up the next thing is maintenance on the dryer.
Many people will use a dryer and not clean the lint trap every time. I know sometimes it seems like there isn't much. But there is always lint that makes it through even if the lint trap is clean so if it's not clean then more lint will make it through.

Another thing that can be done, is if the lint screen comes out of the dryer from the inside of the dryer you can use a flashlight to look into the vent when the screen is out to see if there is lint accumulated in the blower housing.
This problem is more common with General Electric, Hotpoint, Moffat, Frigidaire, Viking and Maytag dryers because they have the lint screen in the dryer.

But now even the new whirlpool dryers are the same.
Next tip would be is Don't use the dryer 4-5 or more times in a row. This will kill the motor and overheat all the parts and cause parts to fail at an early age.

Most new dryers have a cool down stage that shuts down the element for the last 10 minutes to allow the motor to cool down.
If your dryer is More than 10 years I would recommend not to do that many loads in a row. I know sometimes nothing can be done but if something can be changed then do it.

I assure you that you will get at least 5 more years out of all the moving parts. I can't say nothing else will happen but at least you are doing what you can to make it last!
And I think that will be all for now. I will add some more as they come to ming but if you follow these pointers you will get more life and better dry time out of you're dryer.
If you have a dryer Question remember the model and serial number helps a lot!

Alright so this is a little add on for those who saw my post about testing your dryer with the vent off to see if the dryer or the vent is the problem.

NEVER RUN A GAS DRYER WITH THE VENT OFF FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME DUE TO CARBON MONOXIDE COMING OUT OF THE VENT. THIS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS.
AND IF NOT WATCHED CAN BE FATAL. ESPECIALLY IN HOUSES WITH LAUNDRY ROOM ON MAIN FLOOR OR IN BEDROOMS. SO PLEASE DO NOT RUN GAS DRYER WITH VENT OFF.
And gas dryers should NEVER have plastic venting. It should be SOLID GALVANIZED STEEL PIPING.

To See the pictures follow the link below.

http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?t=931

Thank you for reading. And Pass it on!