Why new washers are not lasting.

The first thing I will say is this..
Most new washers are rated by the manufacture to last 10 to 15 years without problems.. But they say that with the rule that it's only if it's 8 loads a week and if it's used 100% correctly.
I have met many family's that do 20 to 25 loads a week... I know that is a lot and most don't do that much. But if you do think about what I just said..
8 loads a week. lasting 15 years problem free.
So if you do even 16 loads a week.
You should expect problems at a much younger age. Probably at around 6 to 8 years. Or less if it's not used properly..
I know the years dropped a lot.. But it's because the washer is used too many times in a row and all the parts get too hot and end up failing because of that.

Everyone knows washers are not built like they used to be.

Most older washers would last almost 30 years.
Or at least 20 years.

But nowadays, All the washers don’t seem to be lasting ... And everyone wonders why..
The main reason is Overloading of the washer.
The older washers were built with super strong transmissions. And were belt driven with belts that were very strong as well.
And of course.. There was much more metal and now much more plastic!

After the change to the newer designs the washers started to be rated by weight.
Although they are not sold that way.
The words, regular capacity, super capacity, Ultra capacity, and others are used to sell the washers.

But in reality they can only hold about 10 to 12 pounds of wet clothes and most salesmen say they can load them up and wash comforters but that’s not true.

So what this means is when you look at the holes in the inner basket. You should be putting your clothes in the washer before the water is in. And only put clothes in up to the top holes in the basket.
And DON’T stuff the clothes down. Place it loosely around the agitator.
I’m not saying it can’t handle more than 12 pounds of clothes.
But if you want it to last more than 10 years. You will have to take care of it.

If you wash heavy blankets in any new top load conventional(meaning not a high efficiency),
I know the blanket comes out clean. But it’s way too much weight for the washer.
And can damage parts in just one load. Although you might not notice right away because it’ll still work but either the clutch or transmission will start to wear or the motor will seize.

Not as common for the motor to go.. Have seen more transmissions and clutches and bearings and things of that matter.
Many after only 2 to 3 years of use.

And many have been doing the same thing they’ve been doing for 30+ years.. But newer machines aren’t like the old ones.. So it’s time to learn to use the new ones.

Now to the new High Efficiency washers.

The new front load washers are deffintely better for the earth and our pocket when it comes to water and hydro and soap.

But they have been having some problems with the rear bearings and pumps.
Also.. I’ve been on two in the last two days that had a rear shaft to tub support. Which is made out of white metal. And they have been breaking into pieces and causing the inner tub to wear out the outer tub.
The cost of repairs has been about $600 or more if the pump is also having some problems.

And the last two that I diagnosed are only 2 to 3 years old. And to be honest.. Many of them have been that age...

Everyone has to remember that even front load washers have a max weight.
It’s about 20 pounds at the very most.
But 18 pounds max is recommended.

And in reality it’s better not to wash rugs in front load washers because they cause a lot of stress on the shaft and rear bearing because they cause the basket to spin off balance most of the time.
Most don’t know this but the front load washer basket is supported only by the rear bearing.
So all the weight goes on those two bearings.

And One more thing you have to remember.. Empty your pockets!!
The new pumps for front load washers are expensive.
And they seem to allow lots to get through to the pump.. I have found chains.. Nails, screws, hair pins, coins, and much more..
Don't want a loose penny or anything else to cost you $130 for a pump!!!

Well I hope this will help some understand why their new washer is not lasting like it should.

I will probably add more as I see fit.. because the more service calls I do the more I see and the more I know. And the more I want people to know..

Please post any question you might have in the forum and I’ll do my best to answer.